• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

Hmmnn I think I'd have to question the QES designation on that particular copy. The idea is not totally without merit considering the wiggle room in grading from CGC. It doesn't seem like the sticker had much impact on the final hammer price however so maybe people were dismissing it this case. 47.5k is solid but not pushing the envelope for a 9.8. That being said its still beautiful and I'd take in a heartbeat. 

12 hours ago, blowout said:

45K for a mis wrap?

A mis stake on the part of the buyer I would say.

I would say so, yes. My criteria is no white landing strips on 9.8 books that I am willing to pay 10's of thousands for.

The whole IH 181 thing is like mob mentality. There is nothing rare about them. There are 126 9.8's in existence. Gives us an idea how many lower graded books there are as well. There are only 9 Batman 227's in 9.8. I wouldn't dare buy IH 181 in such high grade. Not sure I could get my money back if I needed to. One sucker buys a 9.8 for almost 50 thow. Ok. Doesn't make them all worth $50k. Just one dude who has more money than sense.

I hope for a lot of peoples sake Wolvie suddenly doesn't hold the public's attention anymore. When that book softens, it's going to soften hard for a lot of people. Like Green Lantern 76 did. People were buying that book in 9.6 for $30k not all that long ago. I could get one for $9k now. That's a big drop. The auction houses, GCG with their little stickers and Metropolis are laughing all the way to the bank.

High grade sales of GL 76 make 9.6 sales of ASM 14 look like a daily occurrence.

I take nothing from the occasional freak sales as "lesson learners".

12 years ago, someone who values $54K way less than I do paid that for a 9.6 ASM 14.

Who cares? There are always sales to people that make no sense to most everyone else.

It took 12 years before a 9.8 Batman 227 sale at $13K in 2009, didn't look ridiculous next to all of the sales after it.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:49 PM, Randall Ries said:

I would say so, yes. My criteria is no white landing strips on 9.8 books that I am willing to pay 10's of thousands for.

The whole IH 181 thing is like mob mentality. There is nothing rare about them. There are 126 9.8's in existence. Gives us an idea how many lower graded books there are as well. There are only 9 Batman 227's in 9.8. I wouldn't dare buy IH 181 in such high grade. Not sure I could get my money back if I needed to. One sucker buys a 9.8 for almost 50 thow. Ok. Doesn't make them all worth $50k. Just one dude who has more money than sense.

I hope for a lot of peoples sake Wolvie suddenly doesn't hold the public's attention anymore. When that book softens, it's going to soften hard for a lot of people. Like Green Lantern 76 did. People were buying that book in 9.6 for $30k not all that long ago. I could get one for $9k now. That's a big drop. The auction houses, GCG with their little stickers and Metropolis are laughing all the way to the bank.

I call this the now (decade old)............ wait till posts which I have read for as long as I can remember on these and many other boards about 181, ASM 300, AF15 GSXM 1.... wait till nobody cares about -----, wait till it there are more 9.8's, wait till everyone unloads theirs.... wait till the next movie sucks. sooooo glad I didn't wait till, 10 years ago to buy my 9.8 181. It could drop 50% and I will still be good and beyond any monetary reason since a guy named Miller did a 4 issue mini series 40 yrs ago about a guy named Logan I have loved the madman with claws!

Edited by I am not Glenda

3 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

I call this the now (decade old)............ wait till posts which I have read for as long as I can remember on these and many other boards about 181, ASM 300, AF15 GSXM 1.... wait till nobody cares about -----, wait till it there are more 9.8's, wait till everyone unloads theirs.... wait till the next movie sucks. sooooo glad I didn't wait till, 10 years ago to buy my 9.8 181. It could drop 50% and I will still be good and beyond any monetary reason since a guy named Miller did a 4 issue mini series 40 yrs ago about a guy named Logan I have loved the madman with claws!

Well, Glen. I was just saying that there are a whole lot of IH 181 flying around. Has GSXM 1 bloated the same way as 181? Or ASM 300? How many really decent AF 15's are out there? I'm glad you like the character. It'll always be expensive. Just maybe not as expensive as it is now.

It's a fact that movies are affecting the value. WW 1984 shot All Star Comics 8 in the spine. Basically just took the bloat away. So, it's probably heading back to being valuable, but not Kings Ransom valuable. In other words, back to Earth. If a Wolvie movie comes out and doesn't feature what's his name or stinks or God forbid BOTH, there will be a "market correction".

Wonder Woman is not a great example. There have been a number of subpar DC comics movies. They will never equal the MCU. The MCU moves the needle in a way no one else does. WW doesn't match the appeal of a Wolverine and never will. I don't put it past Feige to screw up the x-men rollout however. I don't know maybe he decides to bypass the big screen and limit them to Wandavision??? Perhaps some other dumb idea like having Wolverine in a tank top or who knows what? Maybe bad casting with unrecognizable costumes totally unrelated to the source material. Fox certainly went in that cringe worthy direction. Maybe he does nothing with X and continues releasing Ant man & Wasp type movies or another Avengers? So it's far from a guarantee he doesn't fumble this. These guys tend to have their own ideas on how these characters should be portrayed often straying dramatically from the source material. I wouldn't be surprised if Wolverine ends up looking like Timber Wolf :S

The point is Wolverine's popularity provides more of a buffer than WW or maybe most DC titles. His instant healing powers protect from damage inflicted by knuckleheaded movie execs. That's a good thing!

Edited by MGsimba77

23 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

It'll always be expensive. Just maybe not as expensive as it is now.

Or maybe it will never go down ( unless there is market correction to the entire hobby) & the prices seen here today will look like a great deal in 5 years? What I was trying to say was that in one form or another your post ( and I mean this with no disrespect) has been part of the conversation with 181 and other books for decades at this point, yet regardless of movies or comic popularity  certain books including 181 continue to defies the laws of supply and demand and really in all grades ( the top pulls the bottom up) & the book continues to rise, yes there are times when it slows a bit ( AF 15 in all but the highest grades has been (stag net for 3yrs) but then boom one day you look and it's on the move again. 

Edited by I am not Glenda

3 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

Or maybe it will never go down ( unless there is market correction to the entire hobby) & the prices seen here today will look like a great deal in 5 years?

That is most likely going to be the case. At least, it will level off and stay the same value. It USED to be that truly rare books were very expensive and enjoyed a gradual increase in value from year to year. I think of books like House Of Secrets 92. It has always been a weird book and expensive but not SO expensive. But enjoyed a small increase in value every year. As I say, if Wolvie loses his popularity, 181 will take a good hit in value. I suppose that isn't likely either.

Feel like these arguments have been going on for years and years.  Even if you just look at the first pages of this thread, back in 2018.  Yet, the books discussed have all basically doubled or more since then.  Whoops.

But to be fair I thought TSLA was overvalued at 200.  And 400.  And 600.  And now 800.  Sometimes you want it to be one way, but it's the other way.