• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Invalid listing

temporary ebay glitch apparently. when I clicked on the link got "listing was removed" message. now seems ok.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

temporary ebay glitch apparently. when I clicked on the link got "listing was removed" message. now seems ok.

Your not alone :foryou: right after you posted "invalid", I wondered what that meant and clicked on my phone, it didn't take me to an ebay page.

So, no worries, you have not boarded a crazy train lol 

On 3/2/2018 at 9:06 AM, paul747 said:

I think that Hulk #181 has real demand and real appreciation. We would need a huge comic book crash for this book to really come back down. At that point there will be lots of books to choose from. If this market stays healthy, the ship has left the port and will continue to climb.  Hulk #181 is a top book to own especially in 9.6-9.8  I don't think it will be cheaper so buy one if you want one. 10,200 CGC copies and only 100 9.8 copies it would take a lot to kill that demand for a top book of a character soon to be fully owned by Disney. Just an opinion.

It won't, it never does.

But your premise shows why bubbles continue to happen. There seems to be no shortage of people who look at market corrections as an 'if' rather than the certainty it is.

2 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

It won't, it never does.

But your premise shows why bubbles continue to happen. There seems to be no shortage of people who look at market corrections as an 'if' rather than the certainty it is.

Here's the thing, "corrections" much like "bubbles" are also temporary. If you bought "generic tech stock" during the tech bubble 15 years ago, you were probably "losing" a lot of money during the Great Recession. IF you sold. If you kept said generic tech stock through that down period, you are probably looking just fine now. Same with real estate during the downturn. Why wouldn't the same apply to comics, which are now viewed as investments by most of the people paying silly money for them?

6 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Here's the thing, "corrections" much like "bubbles" are also temporary. If you bought "generic tech stock" during the tech bubble 15 years ago, you were probably "losing" a lot of money during the Great Recession. IF you sold. If you kept said generic tech stock through that down period, you are probably looking just fine now. Same with real estate during the downturn. Why wouldn't the same apply to comics, which are now viewed as investments by most of the people paying silly money for them?

Agreed.  Those that buy for the quick score will often break even or lose.  Those that hold long term will do just fine. 

On 3/5/2018 at 2:40 PM, Jaydogrules said:

That may be a graded 9.6. but not in my book.  Too many tick marks on the spine for me to ever consider purchasing it.  

1 hour ago, Mjolnir! said:

That may be a graded 9.6. but not in my book.  Too many tick marks on the spine for me to ever consider purchasing it.  

But CGC will often give a book, any book,  a 9.6 with some spine tics. It's not a strong 9.6, probably a tweener 9.4/9.6. So no upgrade potential here. It also did not have White pages . A very strange price, under the circumstances. To each is own. This is one of those books that somebody wakes up in the morning and says 'I gotta get me a copy'.

On 3/7/2018 at 3:40 PM, Artboy99 said:

How can you tell? Ebays picture system is horrible for comics

If you click on "Full Item Description" you'll see king size scans. If the seller hosts pictures on a secure site, and posts them in the description you don't even have to click on anything.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

If you click on "Full Item Description" you'll see king size scans. If the seller hosts pictures on a secure site, and posts them in the description you don't even have to click on anything.

Thank you for teaching this old dog new tricks!

So probably not Ebay's fault but the picture in the auction even under the "full item description" is terrible.

On 3/7/2018 at 12:17 PM, Mjolnir! said:

Yeah, corners look a wee bit soft too.

Gift 9.6

On 3/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, LordRahl said:

Tulips have never recovered.

Or Big Little Books.

Or Stamps.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:21 AM, maraxusofkeld said:

Ebay shows the book as sold, but he has it back up for sale.

i've noticed a lot of books that say sold and then are back up for sale within a few days. i've also noticed that ebay makes it impossible to leave negative feedback for non payers auction winners. i sold something a couple months ago, the winner never paid, and i was unable to leave him negative feedback. really has ruined the validity of someone's feedback score at this point. sorry its a bit off topic, but relevant i think. 

11 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i've noticed a lot of books that say sold and then are back up for sale within a few days. i've also noticed that ebay makes it impossible to leave negative feedback for non payers auction winners. i sold something a couple months ago, the winner never paid, and i was unable to leave him negative feedback. really has ruined the validity of someone's feedback score at this point. sorry its a bit off topic, but relevant i think. 

Not sure if you can do this for auctions, but I make immediate payment required for all BINs. The person cannot buy it without paying right away. 

Great feature, has saved me a lot of headaches. 

7 hours ago, minisink warrior said:

Why would you be skeptical? Just look at all the different images they provided! Don't worry that every image is of a different book, except for the full FC image that is used in both listings, but rotated.