• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WE LOVE Stan Lee thread!
3 3

203 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Creator signatures are great but I've never understood the need for them to be on the front cover in effect defacing it.  They're a major distraction and not in a good way.  

There's plenty of room around the page 1 splash for people to sign.

I want Stan Lee to sign a piece of Spider-Man original art.  I don't have him sign on Spidey's body or face, I have him sign outside the art area.  Why should a comic be any different?

Decades from now people are going to be lamenting all of these books ruined by front cover signatures.

Others have noted the shift in signature placement has been heavily influenced by slabbing. You can’t see an internal signature through a slab. Personally I like interior signatures, and you will still get SS labels with them as long as they are witnessed. But most want to see them. 

I am one of those who likes to collect yellow labels, and have no problem with signatures on the vast majority of books. My problem is with cover signatures on super high grade vintage books (earlier than 1965ish) or keys. Yes, they’re your books, for now. But I am of the opinion that we are merely caretakers for the next generation. Altering a true gem that has managed to stay beautifully preserved for 50+ years is not my cup of tea. 

The only books I like to get signed on the cover are celebrity style books like photo incentive covers and the like. Having classic covers or mega keys signed on the cover is one of my biggest turn offs. I’m a big fan of Neal Adams but still wouldn’t care to have his sig on one of his classics. It’s a bummer when I see one in an attractive grade but it’s also been signed. Having him sign prints is more suitable for me.

I suspect most(?) people want Stan’s sig because he’s obviously a legend and time is running out to meet him. But some do it because of the flip...and that’s what’s saturating the market.  

44 minutes ago, D Stuart said:

Why people don't prep signature windows prior to having books of this caliber signed is beyond me...

exactly!!! unless the guy aimed on getting the worst Stan Lee sig ever and put a box around Spidey's face

22 minutes ago, Aliens said:

exactly!!! unless the guy aimed on getting the worst Stan Lee sig ever and put a box around Spidey's face

Stan has been hit or miss with signature placement for a while and in the past 2 years he has been almost entirely miss. 

I’m thankful to have gotten the bulk of my Stan Lee sigs 5-6 year ago. I wouldn’t let him anywhere near one of my books these days.

14 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

You can't stop something you never started in the first place.

These types of threads are starting to become ebay-like in frequency  - which I find a little annoying as it shows me the OP didn't bother to search a little bit to see that the thread already exists.

I'd overlook this if the OP would be willing to diagram the first sentence in his post. :popcorn:

PERIODS ARE YOUR FRIEND. :foryou:

Curious if we will see a day when SS become less desirable overall on big keys.  

If I were presented with two  6.0 AF 15's, one  with and one without a Stan Lee signature, I would be inclined to buy the unsigned one, even if the unsigned one was a few hundred dollars more.  I just don't like these signed Silver Age comics.

11 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

If I were presented with two  6.0 AF 15's, one  with and one without a Stan Lee signature, I would be inclined to buy the unsigned one, even if the unsigned one was a few hundred dollars more.  I just don't like these signed Silver Age comics.

Your 666th post is ominous 2c

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
17 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Your 666th post is ominous 2c

to me, it would depend a lot on the grade and placement of the sig.  The higher the grade, the less I want the sig.  But give me a nice looking 2.5 with a Stan sig on the building, I'm all in.

I’ve always wanted a Stan signature - perhaps it’s foe selfish reasons because I missed out on Kubert , Kirby , etc. I just started getting into dignitaries in the last year or two and I think it’s a cool feature for a fan and collector . I understand your point and I believe a lot of people may be getting the auto ,just to say they have it ...

47 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I’ve always wanted a Stan signature - perhaps it’s foe selfish reasons because I missed out on Kubert , Kirby , etc. I just started getting into dignitaries in the last year or two and I think it’s a cool feature for a fan and collector . I understand your point and I believe a lot of people may be getting the auto ,just to say they have it ...

That is one of the benefits of the SS program. While Kirby passed before the program began, plenty of other creators have autographed books for yellow labels. You can obtain those books through purchase/trade and be guaranteed of having an authentic signature. Many people are getting Stan for the same reason, but there will definitely be no shortage of Stan SS books unless the hobby grows tenfold in the next 20 years.