• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Last GA discovery to date

17 posts in this topic

Darren Adams has the “war time find” that included the highest graded WW books and a handful of highest graded early Caps. No idea as to extent of the find.

Edited by Gotham Kid

20 hours ago, marmat said:

Is it the Billy Wright collection?

Any important discovery after that?

I can't think of a GA find of that significance since.

David Alexander brought the Southern States collection to market a few years ago -- post-Billy Wright, I think.  Consisted solely of first issues, but began too late to have any of the major GA keys.  I thought it merited getting a CGC pedigree designation but, for whatever reason, it didn't.

Other than that they are auctioning it, I haven't heard much about it.  Do we know the size of the collection it's from?  I wonder why someone wrote Vol. 3, No. 3 on it?

I'm alway surprised when people list comics with Hake's, but, in fact, he usually manages to get good prices for them.  The books I've won, I feel that I ended up paying FMV or more. No bargains anywhere these days! :cry:

40 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Other than that they are auctioning it, I haven't heard much about it.  Do we know the size of the collection it's from?  I wonder why someone wrote Vol. 3, No. 3 on it?

I'm alway surprised when people list comics with Hake's, but, in fact, he usually manages to get good prices for them.  The books I've won, I feel that I ended up paying FMV or more. No bargains anywhere these days! :cry:

I guess it would be 3.3, if there were 12 issues per volume at one issue per month. Vol one would be 1-12, volume two would be 13-24, vol three would be 25, 26, 27...

Edited by october

55 minutes ago, october said:

I guess it would be 3.3, if there were 12 issues per volume at one issue per month. Vol one would be 1-12, volume two would be 13-24, vol three would be 25, 26, 27...

Makes sense but unfortunately it was done sloppily. Probably by a well-meaning, OCD kid. Wouldn't care at all had it been done with neat cursive and in pencil, for example, by someone slightly older.

A moot point since it's not something I could afford anyway. Still, ugly though the numbering is, the one thing uglier would be ham-fisted attempts to erase it, which thankfully never happened.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:26 AM, Sqeggs said:

I thought it merited getting a CGC pedigree designation but, for whatever reason, it didn't.

I believe that Dave mentioned that the grades were too mixed to get a pedigree designation from CGC.

4 hours ago, october said:
5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Makes sense.  Interesting because I don't think that info was given in the indicia.  I wonder if he had the whole run and marked them all this way?

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:
On 1/25/2018 at 11:26 AM, Sqeggs said:

I thought it merited getting a CGC pedigree designation but, for whatever reason, it didn't.

I believe that Dave mentioned that the grades were too mixed to get a pedigree designation from CGC.

Ok.  The few I bought were in the 8.0 to 9.0 range.  I don't remember there being many (at least by the time he was offering them publicly) that were in higher grades than that.  Still, I wish CGC would be a bit more liberal with OO collections like this one.  It would be nice to be able to keep track of the books and to know the provenance if you pick one up. 

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

It would be nice to be able to keep track of the books and to know the provenance if you pick one up. 

This seems to me like a good idea.

On 1/29/2018 at 2:54 PM, Sqeggs said:

Makes sense.  Interesting because I don't think that info was given in the indicia.  I wonder if he had the whole run and marked them all this way?

I'll just check the indicia on my copy of Detective 27 real quick....oh wait. :censored:

1 hour ago, october said:
On 1/29/2018 at 3:54 PM, Sqeggs said:

I'll just check the indicia on my copy of Detective 27 real quick....oh wait. :censored:

I found a copy accidentally included in a box someone mailed me recently.  Was that your copy? hm