• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which key issues that are currently undervalued in your opinion?
8 8

278 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2021 at 12:43 PM, telerites said:

It has long been one if not m favorite BA story.  Bats, Wein/Wrightson, ST, and a puppy.  I forget exactly when or where - probably a TBG ad, I bought a stack of Wrightson Swamp Things - they were/are in really nice condition.  I slabbed a few and actually had a few SS.  The best I got on the #7 was 9.6 on both copies I subbed.  

I really like the cover and have a mini-hoard of these I've bought over the years, but I didn't care for the story. It's been years since I read it so perhaps I'll revisit it. The Moore run started when I owned my first shop and while I read 95% of the comics I sold, Swamp Thing wasn't among them.  A customer had pointed out the new artist to me and I kind of liked it so I read issues 21 and 22 back to back and didn't care for the new direction Moore was taking it.  It wasn't until around issue 25 that I started to enjoy it. I started to lose interest after American Gothic. 

On 12/27/2021 at 1:58 PM, shadroch said:

I really like the cover and have a mini-hoard of these I've bought over the years, but I didn't care for the story. It's been years since I read it so perhaps I'll revisit it. The Moore run started when I owned my first shop and while I read 95% of the comics I sold, Swamp Thing wasn't among them.  A customer had pointed out the new artist to me and I kind of liked it so I read issues 21 and 22 back to back and didn't care for the new direction Moore was taking it.  It wasn't until around issue 25 that I started to enjoy it. I started to lose interest after American Gothic. 

I had stopped buying new comics in the mid to late 80s.  I did read the Moore run and it is fabulous.  I wasn't buying many DCs in the 70s but loved Wrightson's art.  

On 12/26/2021 at 8:01 AM, da.amazing.spiderman said:

I promise.  My last post on Wonder Woman #204...

You stated, "Say WW204 now commands  $2000USD or $2500 in CGC 9.8..."

I understand that you're not a fan of this book (that's cool), but your current assessment (along with GPA and GoCollect) of it's value in CGC 9.8 is way...way...off base by a few hundred percentage points.  I've received a half dozen private offers in the past +/-2 years ranging from a low of $3K to a high of $12.5K (Yes!!!  I said $12.5K!!!) just a few weeks ago for my WW #204.  This price appreciation (speculation) has occurred without confirmation yet by DC of Nubia in the upcoming WW #3 movie. 

Question...Now, why would someone offer me $12.5K for an item that is supposedly valued considerably less???

• Could it be that the "smart money" knows that WW #3 movie related news about Nubia is coming soon?
  • Could it be that there are only (5) copies of WW #204 in CGC 9.8 according to the census and that the "smart money" wants to move in before the herd?
  • Could it be that the "smart money" is also swinging for the fence and understands the market fundamentals of supply vs demand?.

IMHO, I think it's because the "true value" of Wonder Woman #204 in CGC 9.8 is just starting it's vertical trajectory and the price this book will eventually command in a few years from now will shock most comic investors.   

If anyone offered me 5 digits for this book on a private, fee-less transaction, much less $12.5K, I would jump at the chance and laugh all the way to the bank. $12.5K can buy you a low grade marvel key like Iron Man, Thor or FF. No brainer to move into something that will have long lasting appeal, than a D list character from DC. I think at best, there is one more WW movie left and given how they botched the second one, who knows they'll do. Even if Nubia appears she might only be one of the background characters at best. A good way to tell what DC thinks about her, is she hasn't been used in the comics for quite some time, in any fashion. 

That being said, I wish you luck. Perhaps years from now, we'll look back at this post and see if you were right. 

Edited by Lpgk

On 12/27/2021 at 11:39 AM, Wolverinex said:

Probably time to pick up GSX1 and X94 during this dip.  It's just a matter of time for X-men.  

I've always bought GSX over X94 as I feel it goes up faster since GSX has the cover appeal. 

I would probably add Spotlight 5. This book has been stealth hot for several years. There's a rumor going around that Norman Reedus is the frontrunner to take on GR. This book will go nuclear just on this casting announcement alone, much less a trailer. 

On 12/27/2021 at 5:00 PM, Lpgk said:

I've always bought GSX over X94 as I feel it goes up faster since GSX has the cover appeal. 

I would probably add Spotlight 5. This book has been stealth hot for several years. There's a rumor going around that Norman Reedus is the frontrunner to take on GR. This book will go nuclear just on this casting announcement alone, much less a trailer. 

That may be true, though GSX is already more expensive. ... I totally agree with MS5.  GR will show up at some point too.  

I think MS5 might be more expensive than GSX, which if you told me this a few years I wouldn't have believed. But as someone who's bought raw and tried to slab them, trying to get anything past an 8.0 is extremely tough. That black cover is murder to get high grades on. 

I've heard the rumors that maybe Keanu might be in the running for being cast, but it seems Reedus is campaigning to play the role. Reedus would be obvious choice, let's hope it happens!

On 12/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, Lpgk said:

I think MS5 might be more expensive than GSX, which if you told me this a few years I wouldn't have believed. But as someone who's bought raw and tried to slab them, trying to get anything past an 8.0 is extremely tough. That black cover is murder to get high grades on. 

I've heard the rumors that maybe Keanu might be in the running for being cast, but it seems Reedus is campaigning to play the role. Reedus would be obvious choice, let's hope it happens!

YOu are right though low grade ones are still cheaper than GSX1

On 12/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, Lpgk said:

What do you think about The black Knight?  Think Kit will show up  in future MCU projects? 

On 12/27/2021 at 12:16 PM, Wolverinex said:

What do you think about The black Knight?  Think Kit will show up  in future MCU projects? 

Well he already appeared in Eternals, so it's already happened. That being said, I'm not high on BK. He's never been anything in the comics and the only thing I remember him for is his forgettable role as Avengers lead in the 90s. 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:19 PM, Lpgk said:

Well he already appeared in Eternals, so it's already happened. That being said, I'm not high on BK. He's never been anything in the comics and the only thing I remember him for is his forgettable role as Avengers lead in the 90s. 

I thought it was only dane whitman not black knight in ethernals?

On 12/27/2021 at 1:22 PM, Wolverinex said:

I thought it was only dane whitman not black knight in ethernals?

you're right it was Dane Whitman, but I think we can safely assume he's BK in the future. 

On 12/27/2021 at 3:50 PM, Lpgk said:

If anyone offered me 5 digits for this book on a private, fee-less transaction, much less $12.5K, I would jump at the chance and laugh all the way to the bank. $12.5K can buy you a low grade marvel key like Iron Man, Thor or FF. No brainer to move into something that will have long lasting appeal, than a D list character from DC. I think at best, there is one more WW movie left and given how they botched the second one, who knows they'll do. Even if Nubia appears she might only be one of the background characters at best. A good way to tell what DC thinks about her, is she hasn't been used in the comics for quite some time, in any fashion

That being said, I wish you luck. Perhaps years from now, we'll look back at this post and see if you were right. 

That's not true.

She was created almost 50(!!) years ago. In her first few decades, she was barely used (basically just a few appearances at the beginning). In her fourth decade, she was rescued from limbo... again, barely. In the past decade, she has been used a little bit more than in her previous 4 decades combined. I know this because, having no idea who she was when she was brought up in this thread (despite having read quite a few Wonder Woman comics), I looked up her history.

But, yes, she has only recently moved up to the D-list and is still a minor, unproven character.

On 12/27/2021 at 3:04 PM, Lazyboy said:

That's not true.

She was created almost 50(!!) years ago. In her first few decades, she was barely used (basically just a few appearances at the beginning). In her fourth decade, she was rescued from limbo... again, barely. In the past decade, she has been used a little bit more than in her previous 4 decades combined. I know this because, having no idea who she was when she was brought up in this thread (despite having read quite a few Wonder Woman comics), I looked up her history.

But, yes, she has only recently moved up to the D-list and is still a minor, unproven character.

well i think no matter what, we can both agree that turning down 12 large for a D list character is not a wise move :foryou:

On 12/27/2021 at 9:30 PM, MAR1979 said:

Honest question: How many collector's or speculator's introduce a book to a thread topic like this one who do not already have a vested interest in that exact book?  If its a book one is seeking it simply would not prudent.

Pumping (and then dumping) does occur to some extent in threads like these but none of us have the clout or viewership to really make much difference in the market.  A company like Key Collectors could be accused of doing a pump and dump but the rest of us our just voicing opinions.  I posted awhile ago about feeling 1st Groo was undervalued (I had a couple at the time) but no one ran out and bought it because 1Cool had a gut feeling about a book.  

Telling a message boards about my belief that New Mutants 9 is undervalued really isn't going to effect my ability to buy copies.  If you are pumping up a rare book where there is only a few copies in existence while you hunt for a copy would not be very prudent but most books are so common you just are not going effect the hunt much if you say a book could get hot in the future. 

On 12/28/2021 at 6:01 AM, 1Cool said:

Pumping (and then dumping) does occur to some extent in threads like these but none of us have the clout or viewership to really make much difference in the market.  A company like Key Collectors could be accused of doing a pump and dump but the rest of us our just voicing opinions.  I posted awhile ago about feeling 1st Groo was undervalued (I had a couple at the time) but no one ran out and bought it because 1Cool had a gut feeling about a book.  

Telling a message boards about my belief that New Mutants 9 is undervalued really isn't going to effect my ability to buy copies.  If you are pumping up a rare book where there is only a few copies in existence while you hunt for a copy would not be very prudent but most books are so common you just are not going effect the hunt much if you say a book could get hot in the future. 

Too true.  There are a couple rare books I'm still looking for, and I don't mention them anyway because even a single other person looking for the book could price me out  D:  There's also a certain pulp I want, and I thought about writing to some of the bigger pulp dealers to see if they have it, but I don't want them to triple the price if they do.

:boo:

On 12/27/2021 at 6:19 PM, Lpgk said:

A lot of fans are in the same boat you are. And from a comics perspective, I get it 100%. I'm bullish (picked up a second copy of Avengers 48 myself since the post-Eternals dip) precisely because there's a lot that can be done with the character cinematically, and he's starting from a very low base popularity-wise. I think his role is going to be larger than most think in the next phase of the MCU. While Kit Harington perpetually downplays his future involvement whenever he's asked, I have a hard time believing he signed on for bit parts here or there.

Edited by Legion of Goom

On 12/29/2021 at 7:55 PM, Legion of Goom said:

A lot of fans are in the same boat you are. And from a comics perspective, I get it 100%. I'm bullish (picked up a second copy of Avengers 48 myself since the post-Eternals dip) precisely because there's a lot that can be done with the character cinematically, and he's starting from a very low base popularity-wise. I think his role is going to be larger than most think in the next phase of the MCU. While Kit Harington perpetually downplays his future involvement whenever he's asked, I have a hard time believing he signed on for bit parts here or there.

Agreed.  Time to buy.  He is way too big to disappear after eternals.  They will use him.  

The dude is immune to magic... hello,  wanda.  Dr strange...

Edited by Wolverinex