• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Whiz 22?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Great story Rick!

I have a similar story. My Nana was an antique collector. Every summer I would go visit for a week or two. She would drag me around to flea markets and antique stores. We often ran into old comics. She would always buy me some. She incouraged me to take care of them. I don't remember any specific books but that time with just her and me was very special. I share her collecting gene I guess. Good times.

My grandpa would always buy me a stack of current comics at the cigar store. A lot more than my parents would. He bought me my first MAD magazine which made me want to find back issues and started me on the collecting path which I still persue to this day. 

Awsome people that I miss very much.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, G.A.tor said:

Ok. Here’s my story. For those of you that wonder why whiz 22 is my favorite comic, sit back and I will tell you a tale of an 8 year old Shazam fan in 1975. 
Each summer my parents would drop me and my sister off at my grandmothers house for a little vacation. 1975 the Shazam tv show was my favorite. I wanted so badly to be captain marvel. I yelled “Shazam!” About a million Times that summer , hoping I would be transformed....naturally, never happened. But my “mimi” offered to make me a Shazam costume. Problem was, no vcr or digital cell phones or internet to capture an image of the costume from which she could sew me a costume. 
So we head down to the local used book store hoping to find a comic from which she could design one for me. And as fate has it, whiz 22 was available , purchased and costume made!

Fast forward some 20+ years to the late 1990s and my “mimi “ was in a nursing home with Alzheimer’s. One visit my wife and I sat with her (always just a blank stare and no acknowledgement of who we were ) and in a surprising moment of lucidity, my grandmother asked me if I still had the comic and costume she bought/made for me all those years ago. And as I answered , the blank stare covered her face again. That was the last time I saw my mimi Alive. 
And so I’ve bought every copy I’ve ever seen since.

To me, this is what true comic collecting is all about.  It is not about having the "most valuable" book or what something is worth in regards to FMV.

It is about collecting what you love.  It is about the feelings and / or memories that a book can bring to your mind and heart.

Way to go, Rick!

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

7 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Very nice and touching story Rick.  Thanks for sharing!!  

Can you imagine if the book was either an Action 1 or Tec 27 instead of the Whiz 22!? :whatthe:

I wouldn’t have very many lol

47 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

Thanks for sharing Rick, it makes my think of the members of my family that are now gone.  Keep adding to that pile and keep that memory alive.

The memory will always (hopefully) be there. My accumulation however, has ceased. 

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I wouldn’t have very many lol

lol  I would predict you would have at least 2-3 copies if you were to buy them then

I wish I had a story like that.  I never really did have any comic relating stories that had to do with my family that I can touch base with.  My dad used to have a stack of comics he told me from the GA, but unfortunately his mother threw them away :cry: when he went to medical school 

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

My dad used to have a stack of comics he told me from the GA, but unfortunately his mother threw them away :cry: when he went to medical school 

Same with my Dad - he went off to college in 1948, and sometime between then and his going in the army (Korean War) my grandmother threw his entire comic book collection in the trash.

A trite story, but a true one that seems repeated all too often!