• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your Favorite Golden Age Character- and Why?
3 3

88 posts in this topic

My favourite GA reading material is,  by far, The Spirit, especially Eisner’s post-war sections.

A second, also elevated to Olympus,  is Jack Cole’s Plastic Man; slapstick but also quite dark at times too, with great stories and astonishingly-gifted cartooning.

Characters alone, I’d say my favourites are The Spectre and Dr Fate from their earlier, darkest period in More Fun Comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

My favourite GA reading material is,  by far, The Spirit, especially Eisner’s post-war sections.

A second, also elevated to Olympus,  is Jack Cole’s Plastic Man; slapstick but also quite dark at times too, with great stories and astonishingly-gifted cartooning.

Characters alone, I’d say my favourites are The Spectre and Dr Fate from their earlier, darkest period in More Fun Comics.

Nice to know I'm not alone on the Spectre. Seems like a lot of love for this character. I have heard for years that More Fun is not selling well and a second tier title. Then why is it I rarely see copies for sale, especially affordable copies?

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Nice to know I'm not alone on the Spectre. Seems like a lot of love for this character. I have heard for years that More Fun is not selling well and a second tier title. Then why is it I rarely see copies for sale, especially affordable copies?

+1

16 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Some of Jack Cole's Plastic Man splash pages are powerful and scary, twisted dark. Early 'Police Comics' had everything going for them including Eisner's Spirit, Gustavson's The Human Bomb, and the Phantom Lady too. Great combo then you add in what looks like Lou Fine inks over Jack Cole's art: :foryou:

XvLuXtw.jpg

39 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Some of Jack Cole's Plastic Man splash pages are powerful and scary, twisted dark. Early 'Police Comics' had everything going for them including Eisner's Spirit, Gustavson's The Human Bomb, and the Phantom Lady too. Great combo then you add in what looks like Lou Fine inks over Jack Cole's art: :foryou:

XvLuXtw.jpg

I agree. Really amazing stuff with some great interiors and interesting perspectives/angles. 

18 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

XvLuXtw.jpg

+1

(though Police #12 cover is probably Gill Fox)

In terms of "Favorite Golden Age Character", for me it comes down to the characterization of the character. Which means ya gotta read the stories.:shy:   I think the detective-based comics (e.g., Batman, Sandman) rate well, given the classic trope of a mystery followed by a satisfying reveal. I like that stuff. But I would echo the other comments above about Jack Cole. His Plastic Man is really astounding. It is ironic that many of the Plastic Man covers are a bit meh (which especially these days will put off the cover-centric collector), but the stories and art really shine, at the outer limits of the surreal.

And let's not forget Stardust and Fantomah from the insane Fletcher Hanks. Those stories are so over the top bizarre. :insane:

My honorable mention would include: EC comics. Though not a character, EC had a monopoly on great stories and art of all themes (sci-fi, horror, crime). And Marston's Wonder Woman; how BDSM ever thrived in the early 40's comic books is puzzling to say the least!

Absolutely fantastic collection of More Fun Comics there.  :applause:

Edited by Ken Aldred