• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is your Favorite Golden Age Character- and Why?
3 3

88 posts in this topic

My favorite character in comics is....

Uncle Scrooge McDuck!!

I don't think there has been a character, for me, in the golden age/ atomic age of comics that I have enjoyed more and that has been as well developed over time as this character. I love the stories from Barks and I might even like where Rosa took him more in recent years.

IMG_8259.JPG

Without hesitation, the GA Spectre from More Fun Comics. Awesome two part origin. Come on, the guy has the powers of God. So many creative ways to punish evil doers. Kind of Biblical in many situations. Also, Jim Corrigan had to deal with being dead in every day life. Really messed up his love life. Although I don't own a whole lot of originals, I have read all the reprints many times. So many iconic covers...

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Without hesitation, the GA Spectre from More Fun Comics. Awesome two part origin. Come on, the guy has the powers of God. So many creative ways to punish evil doers. Kind of Biblical in many situations. Also, Jim Corrigan had to deal with being dead in every day life. Really messed up his love life. Although I don't own a whole lot of originals, I have read all the reprints many times. So many iconic covers...

Another really good choice! And for me THE iconic cover: 54. Nuff said.

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I need to check out those reprints. Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Good question, and a great answer.  (thumbsu

My favorite feature to pour over would be The Spirit, especially the newspaper sections. The genius of Eisner is dumbfounding. However, I can't also say that's my favorite character. That, I would have to give additional thought to...  :shy:

Eisner and Barks are in their own league as far as I’m concerned. 

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Eisner and Barks are in their own league as far as I’m concerned. 

Agreed. I admire all the greats, but there is a pantheon even among the Olympians. I'm tempted to add Walt Kelly to their rarefied ranks.

Then you start down that slippery slope: is Jack Cole like Barks is as to Zeus, or is he more likely on par with Apollo?  :whistle:

4 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Agreed. I admire all the greats, but there is a pantheon even among the Olympians. I'm tempted to add Walt Kelly to their rarefied ranks.

Then you start down that slippery slope: is Jack Cole like Barks is as to Zeus, or is he more likely on par with Apollo?  :whistle:

I like where this is heading. 

Geez, my knee-jerk was Captain America, but that may be on overall sentiment, because as GA era stories go, both Uncle Scrooge and Captain Marvel's family of books are consistently readable/enjoyable. My Monster Society of Evil HC slipcase is one of the last things I'll ever part with. 

Then I thought how could we not have Archie in the mix?!? :ohnoez:

Great, tough question Rick!  How am I supposed to sleep now?

17 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Geez, my knee-jerk was Captain America, but that may be on overall sentiment, because as GA era stories go, both Uncle Scrooge and Captain Marvel's family of books are consistently readable/enjoyable. My Monster Society of Evil HC slipcase is one of the last things I'll ever part with. 

Then I thought how could we not have Archie in the mix?!? :ohnoez:

Great, tough question Rick!  How am I supposed to sleep now?

You can’t sleep until you have developed an equation to formulate your answer. :baiting:

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

My favorite character in comics is....

Uncle Scrooge McDuck!!

I don't think there has been a character, for me, in the golden age/ atomic age of comics that I have enjoyed more and that has been as well developed over time as this character. I love the stories from Barks and I might even like where Rosa took him more in recent years.

IMG_8259.JPG

I'm close. I still admire Scrooge in some ways but my hero is DONALD DUCK. If it's at least a 10-pager with him, everything's fine. He is us.

My favorite is the original Sandman. I loved his suit, hat, and gas mask. I thought that was so cool looking and I was ultra super disappointed when they gave him that cheesy superhero costume. Also, adding to his mystique is that he didn't last long or have his own comic. I have a reprint book that I can read all the original Adventure comics stories in. I also thought it was original that he had a gun that shoots stuff to put you to sleep. Everything about the original Sandman is cool. Everything about the new Sandman makes me barf.

10 hours ago, Pickie said:

I'm close. I still admire Scrooge in some ways but my hero is DONALD DUCK. If it's at least a 10-pager with him, everything's fine. He is us.

As much as I love Donald Duck, I'd have to side with Rick on Scrooge. Such a great character with so much history. He even has an "origin" which is important with me. 

I have to go with the Spectre from More Fun Comics your judge and jury on Earth.The art was pretty good and story lines also great sending the bad guy down stairs to be dealt with.The 90's series of Spectre was also a great read and awesome art inside and over the top covers.

102_6148.thumb.JPG.c0ad2056a527eb5a9d0071d7f876c6e1.JPG