• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

nothing brings this place together like a good villain bordering on the verge of a FDQ exit unfortunately they are no longer here or are they hm

my observations

• I see a lot of the same people posting over and over again, the majority of them posting in this thread
  • a lot of the new board members certainly have only one goal in mind; in many sub forums I see a lot of spinning, manipulation of information some of it blatant lies (modern forum). The goal is no longer a discussion of content/ideas but more of strategy to maximize potential profit.
  • and unfortunately a lot of the old guard has walked away, allowing plenty of new members should have been called on their shenanigans but instead we've handed out participation trophies and moved on.

I left for about 16 months after being a fairly regular poster and GSB sales thread seller on the old site.  Just came back a couple of weeks ago (my post count reset to 0 for some reason, but maybe that happens after going away for a while?). 

Anyhow, while I'm happy to be visiting the boards again, the place is pretty quiet.  Not a dying mall Sears kind of silent, but pretty danged quiet.  How or why that has happened is anybody's guess, I suppose.

45 minutes ago, speedcake said:

This thread is 15 pages long. Who says the forum is dead?! 

Then again, I'm trying to complete an Uncanny and amazing spider-man complete run at the same time. Disregard anything I say at all times.

It seems like every 6 months or so, a thread like this pops up in comics general. 

21 minutes ago, makeminemego1 said:

I left for about 16 months after being a fairly regular poster and GSB sales thread seller on the old site.  Just came back a couple of weeks ago (my post count reset to 0 for some reason, but maybe that happens after going away for a while?). 

Anyhow, while I'm happy to be visiting the boards again, the place is pretty quiet.  Not a dying mall Sears kind of silent, but pretty danged quiet.  How or why that has happened is anybody's guess, I suppose.

4 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I was a thread started out genuinely asking what folks thought of post counts...and then it became a freeforall place for some folks to hang out...and then it turned into the spot to endlessly post smilies to pad your post count.It was in a pretty obscure corner of the old boards...facts and polls if I remember right.If you could handle all the endless pad posts,there were some great conversations in it and I made some of my best friends here there.

Seems like yesterday...

Oh, I thought you meant it went poof and not that Arch locked the thread! lol

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

10 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I hate to say it, but I think you need 10,000 posts to be a seasoned veteran.

Comix4fun joined in 2002 and has over 40,000 posts and he's still classified as a "member". 

Edit:  In fact, I just checked the leader boards and Roy (VintageComics) has been a member since 2004, has the highest post count with 89,000 posts and he still isn't classified as a "seasoned veteran". lol

Edited by Domo Arigato

9 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I was a thread started out genuinely asking what folks thought of post counts...and then it became a freeforall place for some folks to hang out...and then it turned into the spot to endlessly post smilies to pad your post count.It was in a pretty obscure corner of the old boards...facts and polls if I remember right.If you could handle all the endless pad posts,there were some great conversations in it and I made some of my best friends here there.

Seems like yesterday...

This thread has the potential to be the second coming of “Are post count important to you.” hm

4 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Comix4fun joined in 2002 and has over 40,000 posts and he's still classified as a "member". 

Edit:  In fact, I just checked the leader boards and Roy (VintageComics) has been a member since 2004, has the highest post count with 89,000 posts and he still isn't classified as a "seasoned veteran". lol

I'm very happy having a member.

12 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

This. I tried the other week on a Modern book that I'm enjoying, and it just got no responses at all. Dead in the water. Admittedly, it was the new Youngblood, which has got some understandable baggage, but getting nothing at all is a real turn-off, especially as a newer member. It's just a shrug and a 'why bother, I tried, I'll take it elsewhere'. 

It's the Modern Section and there's really no discussions on any current books. Just flip-lists. It's just weird. 

I actually read your post on the new Youngblood, but didn't have much to add since I only read the 1st issue. So you aren't completely alone.

In my opinion, the first major change in the posting habits on these forums happened when Nik passed away. Nik had no problem calling people out on their shenanigans. He also put on the best grading contest the boards ever had every year. 

Like anything else in life, things tend to lose their luster, and with the influx of so many who are just interested in making a buck real discussions with comic content have been diluted over time. 

For years members posted as much as possible to boost their post counts. It was a big competition for a lot of members, it seems a lot of those people have moved on. There was threads actually started just to boast their numbers. Lots of those threads were not productive but sometimes fun to read. For a comic site their isn't much discussion on comic art and stories. Most seem to be about covers, slabs and investment or rarity of books. In the Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper sections half the threads are 100 pages of the exact same comic XXXXX Club. I do enjoy watching the new additions threads and reading post discussion older comics that I didn't read or own but I am not a fan of those club threads. I think a lot of members didn't like the new site and grew bored with the same old conversations.

Edited by kidcolt

56 minutes ago, icefires said:
5 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

I'm very happy having a member.

Image result for michael scott gif that's what she said