• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,021 posts in this topic

I've been exploring some old Paperback covers of late, including some of the old Anthology style books, which I used to delve into occasionally in my younger days. 

888fbe43c37d92b1c69a90bd8b3e3d96.jpg

No idea on the artist for this, but it's fun.

9d0f4f2427a3b712506fc9d5e18ccfd4.jpg 

Cover for The 6th Pan Book of Horror Stories is by W.F. Philipps

jpg31.jpg

15 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I've been exploring some old Paperback covers of late, including some of the old Anthology style books, which I used to delve into occasionally in my younger days. 

888fbe43c37d92b1c69a90bd8b3e3d96.jpg

No idea on the artist for this, but it's fun.

9d0f4f2427a3b712506fc9d5e18ccfd4.jpg 

Cover for The 6th Pan Book of Horror Stories is by W.F. Philipps

jpg31.jpg

I've been looking for the August Derleth edition his mentor was H.P Lovecraft and one of his stories was adapted for TV on the Thriller series starring Boris Karloff. His story appeared in A Trio for terror and was by far the best and most chilling story "The Extra passenger" very scary.(thumbsu

11 hours ago, tv horror said:

I've been looking for the August Derleth edition his mentor was H.P Lovecraft and one of his stories was adapted for TV on the Thriller series starring Boris Karloff. His story appeared in A Trio for terror and was by far the best and most chilling story "The Extra passenger" very scary.(thumbsu

I'm going to take some time out to watch this today. (thumbsu

Just finished watching. I enjoyed that, Cheers Maurice!

Edited by Gnasher

Talking of Karloff, the W.F. Philipps cover above led me to this cover of his. I used to be a big fan of Dickson Carr/Carter Dickson, The Dept. of Queer Complaints spawned the Colonel March series starring Boris. It's being featured on Prime Video at the moment, it's on my watch list for when I have some time.

f974f6a1bdbb8dd5f16355a53c84b01d.jpg

colonel-march-of-scotland-yard.jpg

Edited by Gnasher

12 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Talking of Karloff, the W.F. Philipps cover above led me to this cover of his. I used to be a big fan of Dickson Carr/Carter Dickson, The Dept. of Queer Complaints spawned the Colonel March series starring Boris. It's being featured on Prime Video at the moment, it's on my watch list for when I have some time.

f974f6a1bdbb8dd5f16355a53c84b01d.jpg

colonel-march-of-scotland-yard.jpg

Karloff rules! I have always been a fan of his no matter what he appeared in well except his last two Mexican movies I could not bear watching him struggling through raked in pain. No, I want to keep his legacy alive as I remembered him. As for the paperbacks I collect and love old ghost stories especially Victorian and Edwardian, if you're interested Gnasher there is a great book out on these treasures called "Paperbacks from Hell."(thumbsu

1157183964_Fall-2018-banners8(1).thumb.png.d9db6d717d717685bec8c2179a3fa280.png

Edited by tv horror

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Now to own this, I'd have to get rid of something. OK Luv, pack your bags!

30470692_1_x.jpg?version=1412350046&form

30470692_2_x.jpg?version=1412350046&form

30470692_3_x.jpg?version=1412350046&form

30470692_4_x.jpg?version=1412350046&form

30470692_5_x.jpg?version=1412350046&form

I know that the Creature Pinball is one of the rarest machines I'm not sure if it's this one or not so we'll page @creaturefan95 I'm sure he will tell us, plus leave a bit of drool on his way out. That's a beauty.

39 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I know that the Creature Pinball is one of the rarest machines I'm not sure if it's this one or not so we'll page @creaturefan95 I'm sure he will tell us, plus leave a bit of drool on his way out. That's a beauty.

What other one is there? Also, I just read that Monster Bash is the rarer of the two machines featuring the Gill Man.

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

MOSNTERBASH-2.jpg.98d07b1bf211f8741a35816ccbb5125c.jpg

It's not as nice as the Creature version.

5 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

What other one is there? Also, I just read that Monster Bash is the rarer of the two machines featuring the Gill Man.

Thanks for the reply...I was only testing you:devil: Seriously that is one nice machine as for the Monster bash machine I've not heard about that one  (shock horror TV  does not know everything?). Hey I'm allowed my off moments. :)

12 hours ago, tv horror said:

Karloff rules! I have always been a fan of his no matter what he appeared in well except his last two Mexican movies I could not bear watching him struggling through raked in pain. No, I want to keep his legacy alive as I remembered him. As for the paperbacks I collect and love old ghost stories especially Victorian and Edwardian, if you're interested Gnasher there is a great book out on these treasures called "Paperbacks from Hell."(thumbsu

1157183964_Fall-2018-banners8(1).thumb.png.d9db6d717d717685bec8c2179a3fa280.png

Unfortunately, owing to downsizing, I can't buy too much now, but I used to have a fair collection of anthologies both PB and HB. My favourite novella from the Edwardian period is Arthur Machen's The Great God Pan. You can't fail with M.R.James, I used to own a 2nd edition of Ghost Stories of An Antiquary, hessian bound covers, and as valuable as the 1st, picked it up very cheaply in a charity shop, back when you could. Algernon Blackwood is another I used to enjoy from that period, he may have been a little later.

Here's what the hessian bound editions looked like, it was a bit of a wrench to let it go.

Ghost_stories_of_an_antiquary.jpg

The PB's From Hell , looks great, I wouldn't mind owning that (thumbsu

Edited by Gnasher

15 hours ago, Gnasher said:

You can't fail with M.R.James,

Gnasher you are a man of taste, I'm one of his biggest fans. Believe it or not I've been working on a book for years about British horror TV series and along the way I've collected interviews from some of the actors involved, even a few who have since died unfortunately. This is my baby and I'm not going to rush it as I'm enjoying myself too much researching these gems, however ONE day.

british ghosts 2.jpg

download.jpg