• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,021 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

The man who invented paint-by-numbers has died at the age of 93

Updated 7:22 PM ET, Fri April 5, 2019

The man behind the American pastime of paint-by-numbers pictures died on April 1 at the age of 93. according to his son. Dan Robbins created the first pictures and helped popularize paint-by-numbers kits in the 1950s.

A portrait of paint-by-numbers creator Dan Robbins, who died on April 1 at the age of 93.

A portrait of paint-by-numbers creator Dan Robbins, who died on April 1 at the age of 93.

What I have just been discovering is there is a big market for paint by number sets. They have their collectors as well. Some of the prices for some paint by numbers sets go for big money on eBay.

Rest in peace Dan Robbins for creating something special.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Here is a beginners guide article about the paint by numbers hobby. A good read on a Saturday morning.

https://retrorenovation.com/2012/07/18/what-to-collect-vintage-paint-by-number-paintings/

It's interesting to see that Robbins wanted to portray modern art in the form of cubism etc. I can actually see that working better, but at the same time the kitsch value also has something. I hadn't realised it went as far back as 1951. 

I remember doing a couple in the mid-sixties, woodland scenes, unfortunately, I didn't  turn into Rembrandt! (  I didn't turn into Rembrandt.....:idea: SUE!!!!!)

Nice article CC (thumbsu

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

Aha did you know that Donnie Dunagan who played little Peter Von Frankenstein in Son of Frankenstein 1939 also provided the voice for Bambi. He is now 84 years old.  

download.png

download (1).jpg

DonnieDunaganOct30-14.jpg

download (2).jpg

Aye, and here he is + and interview....

or-dunaganbambi.jpe?cb=aec056e161a725a33

https://www.chicagoparent.com/archives/child-actor-turned-marine-sergeant-donnie-dunagan-remembers-disneys-bambi/

The bit where he talks about having to say Mother over and over, reminded me of this.

Edited by Gnasher

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

novelisation of the film...

That Brides of Dracula is one of the rarest Hammer novels along with the Revenge of Frankenstein. As for Carl Dreadstone? The clue is in the name DREADSTONE sinister sounding ain't it, Ramsey Campbell and Walter Harris were the real authors also E.K Leyton was mentioned as the author of the Creature volume. Unfortunately I only have the British editions with the title front covers (Boo hoo) although these are a nice set of books to own. Of the copies I have there are small changes in the story but it is basically the movie.(thumbsu

download.jpg

images.jpg

images (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

I have a fondest for Dracula's daughter (not THAT fond) the movie reeks of Golden age horror my favourite period for horror. Gloria Holden was a great choice for the daughter and played the part very regally you could believe she was a Countess. I love this publicity photo taken of her meeting her (Daddy) the Count himself Bela Lugosi, although he never appeared in the movie which is a direct sequel to the 1931 Dracula picture, a wax dummy was used for his stand in on the funeral pyre. 

images (3).jpg

download (1).jpg

images (4).jpg

images (6).jpg

images (5).jpg

images (7).jpg