• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Value Speculation - $3000 to Spend
2 2

148 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, october said:

No one is talking about long term. The timeframe is 2-5 years as stipulated in the first post. If you think two straight years of flatlined or declining prices and a 50% drop in viewership aren't relevant in that time frame, all I can say is "good luck".

Except we ARE talking long-term, the beauty of a forum is that conversations evolve and branch out. This discussion has pivoted way from the 2-5 years as stipulated in the first post. You opened up the door when you stated "Agreed. WD 1's best days are behind it. I expect it to continue a slow downhill slide from here. "

That would imply that long-term you believe the book to be a dud. Hint: the book's long-term value has nothing to do with how many people may or may not be currently watching the television show. 

12 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Except we ARE talking long-term, the beauty of a forum is that conversations evolve and branch out. This discussion has pivoted way from the 2-5 years as stipulated in the first post. You opened up the door when you stated "Agreed. WD 1's best days are behind it. I expect it to continue a slow downhill slide from here. "

That would imply that long-term you believe the book to be a dud. Hint: the book's long-term value has nothing to do with how many people may or may not be currently watching the television show. 

Not really. I have no idea what the book will look like in 10 years. That's a complete guess. There could be a movie, the creators could quit the book, who knows?

I don't agree that the long term value has nothing to do with the show. In fact, I think that claim is totally absurd, but whatever. To each their own. 

9 minutes ago, october said:

Not really. I have no idea what the book will look like in 10 years. That's a complete guess. There could be a movie, the creators could quit the book, who knows?

I don't agree that the long term value has nothing to do with the show. In fact, I think that claim is totally absurd, but whatever. To each their own. 

Do you think today's price for TMNT #1 is the result of declining viewership for season 7 of the TMNT cartoon in 1993?

7 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Do you think today's price for TMNT #1 is the result of declining viewership for season 7 of the TMNT cartoon in 1993?

Do you think TMNT 1 would be as expensive as it is if the TV shows, movies, toys, and other tie-ins didn't happen? In your mind WD #1 would have been a $2500 book without the show? That's a pretty strange argument. If that's not what you are saying, then it isn't exactly a big logical leap to from "the book went up because the show was popular" to "the book will go down because the show isn't as popular".

You seem to think that the price of comics is somehow divorced from what happens in the larger cultural landscape. Movies, TV shows, toys...these things impact prices in a huge way. If Walking Dead ratings decline, so will interest in the first issue. The comics marketplace is littered with books that rose and fell in value based on the fortunes of their TV and movie counterparts. Not sure why WD #1 is magically different. 

49 minutes ago, october said:

Do you think TMNT 1 would be as expensive as it is if the TV shows, movies, toys, and other tie-ins didn't happen?

Why would I think that? They did happen. Just like that is currently happening with the Walking Dead. Kids who grew up on the Walking Dead that are buying comics 25-30 years from now are going to be buying up copies of Walking Dead #1. Just like the comic collectors that grew up on the TMNT movies, cartoon, and actions figures are currently buying up copies of TMNT #1, although that book has clearly moved beyond merely being a target for fans of the property. 

In your mind WD #1 would have been a $2500 book without the show? That's a pretty strange argument.

Nowhere did I write that and you know I wasn't thinking that. Awful. 

If that's not what you are saying, then it isn't exactly a big logical leap to from "the book went up because the show was popular" to "the book will go down because the show isn't as popular".

It isn't a logical leap because you are confusing the short-term with the long-term. 

You seem to think that the price of comics is somehow divorced from what happens in the larger cultural landscape. Movies, TV shows, toys...these things impact prices in a huge way.

Long-term the price of comics IS largely divorced from what happens in the larger cultural landscape. Movies, tv shows, toys, lead to price volatility in the short-term. Once a property had made its debut and left a lasting impact on a generation of consumers, the work is done. As long it remains on the periphery over the long-term that property is going to see people buy back into it when they have disposable income.    

If Walking Dead ratings decline, so will interest in the first issue. The comics marketplace is littered with books that rose and fell in value based on the fortunes of their TV and movie counterparts. Not sure why WD #1 is magically different. 

Littered with books and characters that had no interest on the secondary market prior to their adaptation for film/tv. Littered with books that never had any widespread significance or lasting impact within the hobby itself.

Neither of these apply to the Walking Dead.

"Long-term the price of comics IS largely divorced from what happens in the larger cultural landscape."

"Littered with books that never had any widespread significance or lasting impact within the hobby itself. Neither of these apply to the Walking Dead."

So long term the cultural impact doesn't matter, but Walking Dead #1 won't go down like other hype books because of the cultural significance. Got it. 

1 hour ago, october said:

"Long-term the price of comics IS largely divorced from what happens in the larger cultural landscape."

"Littered with books that never had any widespread significance or lasting impact within the hobby itself. Neither of these apply to the Walking Dead."

So long term the cultural impact doesn't matter, but Walking Dead #1 won't go down like other hype books because of the cultural significance. Got it. 

The Walking Dead is significant long-term in the world of comic books because what it meant to the world of comic books (not tv, not movies, not toys or merchandising) during its initial run, not because of what may or may not be happening with the property outside of the world of comic books in the future. 20 years from now it isn't going to need to still be a pop culture phenomenon, or even see a revival, to be desirable by the comic community. You seem to think the market's sole interest in this book is in the short-term because it is attached to a tv show and a strong merchandising campaign. That is laughable and indicative of gross oversight regarding the book's place in comics (and only comics) history. 

10 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

You really think Walking Dead #1 in 9.8 is going to hit 30k?

I was giving an example, but can certainly see this book hit highs that are going to surprise even the most intelligent comic enthusiast such as yourself.

Were you even born when people were saying AF 15's could never go past 1000.00 dollars, or even 5000.00?

We all know how that story is ending.

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I was giving an example, but can certainly see this book hit highs that are going to surprise even the most intelligent comic enthusiast such as yourself.

Were you even born when people were saying AF 15's could never go past 1000.00 dollars, or even 5000.00?

We all know how that story is ending.

I wouldn’t compare AF #15 to Walking Dead #1 but that’s just me (shrug)

12 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I wouldn’t compare AF #15 to Walking Dead #1 but that’s just me (shrug)

I remember thinking I would never compare AF 15 to detective 27 either, now the lines seem a bit closer dont they.

15 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I remember thinking I would never compare AF 15 to detective 27 either, now the lines seem a bit closer dont they.

I wouldn’t compare either of those to Walking Dead #1 (shrug)