• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 1000 variants
1 1

444 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Huh? Third party sellers the only ones allowed to make money?

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

But they're not a 3rd party seller in this case.  Midtown, Torpedo, and Album Comics Paris were the only shops to receive original allocations of the books.  They are the primary and the only vendors to receive the books at the dealer prices.

(shrug)

Yes, which is why I questioned if only 3rd party sellers are allowed to make money.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

(shrug)

Yes, which is why I questioned if only 3rd party sellers are allowed to make money.

Midtown/Torpedo/Album Comics Paris are still making money, it's just the profit margins are lower.  If they weren't going to come out ahead at $25/book, the initial price would have been higher.  What we have here feels like "Price fixing" or "Price collusion" to me which is illegal in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

34 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

But they're not a 3rd party seller in this case.  Midtown, Torpedo, and Album Comics Paris were the only shops to receive original allocations of the books.  They are the primary and the only vendors to receive the books at the dealer prices.

Could it be possible that some customers cancelled their orders or got their order cancelled and Midtown/Torpedo are putting them back up for sale?  Just a thought, since I've seen this happen with toys and other collectibles.  If this were a sneaker release, sneaker boutiques will definitely mark-up the price after the initial release if the demand is there.

Also, does anyone actually know if the print run was only 2500?  And does Jim Lee have a cache of them out of the 2500?  Or does he have like 500 copies for various cons on top of the 2500 that were allocated?

Edited by kHAoS

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Midtown/Torpedo/Album Comics Paris are still making money, it's just the profit margins are lower.  If they weren't going to come out ahead at $25/book, the initial price would have been higher.  What we have here feels like "Price fixing" or "Price collusion" to me which is illegal in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

Yea, check out other store variants and get back to us.

4 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Everything should be cover price till it sells out.  :headbang:

So people can flip them for bigger profits?

2 minutes ago, kHAoS said:

Could it be possible that some customers cancelled their orders or got their order cancelled and Midtown/Torpedo are putting them back up for sale?  Just a thought, since I've seen this happen with toy and other collectibles.  If this were a sneaker release, sneaker boutiques will definitely mark-up the price after the initial release if the demand is there.

Also, does anyone actually know if the print run was only 2500?  And does Jim Lee have a cache of them out of the 2500?  Or does he have like 500 copies for various con on top of the 2500 that were allocated?

Exactly and nobody knows for sure.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Exactly and nobody knows for sure.

FYI, I'm basing my 2500 figure off of this post.  I assume it's accurate, otherwise we get into fraud territory.  Also, it's possible I could have misconstrued "limited to 2500 copies".  Perhaps that meant Album Comics Paris received an allotment of 2500 as opposed to 2500 print run?  Now you've got me second guessing and I'm not 100% sure.  I know that's a separate discussion that I've seen elsewhere in these forums.

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

FYI, I'm basing my 2500 figure off of this post.  I assume it's accurate, otherwise we get into fraud territory.  Also, it's possible I could have misconstrued "limited to 2500 copies".  Perhaps that meant Album Comics Paris received an allotment of 2500 as opposed to 2500 print run?  Now you've got me second guessing and I'm not 100% sure.  I know that's a separate discussion that I've seen elsewhere in these forums.

Nobody knows for sure except the printer.

46 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I sense a price correction on this book.  There was 6 available on E-Bay when I bought a couple and now there is 29 copies available. 

Wouldn't be surprised but one just sold today for 111 that was in pretty bad condition(more so than the norm)

Yea - I hope mine comes in better shape then that.  I'm surprised it went for so much with that huge corner crunch.

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Yup, Midtown restocks all the time.

Are they not allowed to sell for market value? (Which they are at 50% of?)

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Huh? Third party sellers the only ones allowed to make money?

No, they are the initial vendors.  It's very shady that they held onto copies and purposely limit the market.  3rd party sellers don't have that amount of power.

I'm pretty sure midtown did not get restocks because the $25-> $35 price point happened over 10 hrs OVERNIGHT when it first got listed early April before they even shipped.    Similarly, a few days ago, it was 80 dollars and then jumped to over 100 overnight... that's a price algorithm being applied, not a new restock. 

14 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

No, they are the initial vendors.  It's very shady that they held onto copies and purposely limit the market.  3rd party sellers don't have that amount of power.

I'm pretty sure midtown did not get restocks because the $25-> $35 price point happened over 10 hrs OVERNIGHT when it first got listed early April before they even shipped.    Similarly, a few days ago, it was 80 dollars and then jumped to over 100 overnight... that's a price algorithm being applied, not a new restock. 

Understood, this is a store variant. The same as any other store variant. This happens all the time. I've never seen this many comments about raising the price. How do you know it's not restocks with price reflection of current market?

Why do people think they are owed a fixed price from a retailer only to turn around and be able to immediately sell it for 10x the price?

Edited by ygogolak

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Understood, this is a store variant. The same as any other store variant. This happens all the time. I've never seen this many comments about raising the price. How do you know it's not restocks with price reflection of current market?

Why do people think they are owed a fixed price from a retailer only to turn around and be able to immediately sell it for 10x the price?

Definetely one of the reasons I usually stay clear of this portion of the business.  I've got my two copies pressed and on the way to CGC so hopefully I can get two of the first 9.8 coming off the presses.

58 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Definetely one of the reasons I usually stay clear of this portion of the business.  I've got my two copies pressed and on the way to CGC so hopefully I can get two of the first 9.8 coming off the presses.

did either of your copies have the printing defect? that most have

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Either way, the books are no longer offered on Midtown.  It's not even shown as Sold Out, it's been completely removed from their site.

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Either way, the books are no longer offered on Midtown.  It's not even shown as Sold Out, it's been completely removed from their site.

Umm no. still on their site and mark as sold out at $120. Why would they remove it lol? they have every right to sell its just like everyone else.

Why are there so many comic collector feel like their moral agenda is the standard on how business is run? Retailer must sell book at MSRP... and they must sell all their in-stock inventory.... For those who think this way.... WAKE UP!! this been done for years... not only in comics btw....

Edited by Bearmanpig

8 minutes ago, Bearmanpig said:

Umm no. still on their site and mark as sold out at $120. Why would they remove it lol? they have every right to sell its just like everyone else.

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

whoops, i didn't click the check box to show "out of stock" items.  :tonofbricks: