• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics 1000 variants
1 1

444 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, williamblood said:

did either of your copies have the printing defect? that most have

Now I'm worried - what printing defect?  I see some have a blunting to the corners - is that issue you are mentioning? 

I looked them over and they looked good but now I think unpackage them I'll do a double check before mailing them out to CGC.

Edited by 1Cool

33 minutes ago, Bearmanpig said:

Why are there so many comic collector feel like their moral agenda is the standard on how business is run? Retailer must sell book at MSRP... and they must sell all their in-stock inventory.... For those who think this way.... WAKE UP!! this been done for years... not only in comics btw....

Where else has this tactic been used?  To increase demand - definetely.  But even hot toys do not hold back supply to create a frenzy to then increase the price by 5x.  Apple doesn't hold back product to then increase the price 10x when the phone is in demand.  I really can't think of an instance where this done from the primary seller.

By the way - prices are dropping like a rock.  See quite a few $150 - $175 BINs.  I'm assuming some are doing a drop ship after getting a sale for $150 since they can still buy it for $120.

Update - see a $125 BIN now up for grabs.  I bought in at less then $100 so its all good.  Those $250 buyers must being hating it.

Edited by 1Cool

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

By the way - prices are dropping like a rock.  See quite a few $150 - $175 BINs.  I'm assuming some are doing a drop ship after getting a sale for $150 since they can still buy it for $120.

Update - see a $125 BIN now up for grabs.  I bought in at less then $100 so its all good.  Those $250 buyers must being hating it.

Just like the Harley Pink variant.

It'll be interesting to see how the market reacts once graded copies start showing up.

46 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Now I'm worried - what printing defect?  I see some have a blunting to the corners - is that issue you are mentioning? 

I looked them over and they looked good but now I think unpackage them I'll do a double check before mailing them out to CGC.

bottom left corner most copies have it if you look at pics on ebay, midtown and torpedo both had it. last i heard 80-90% of run was like that. i have 2 copies i got for 25 each but am waiting till cgc decides what there doing

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I don't really think it's as much dropping like a rock as it's a ton of quick flippers that bought it at the $80 price point and wanting the quick $40-50 profit. I'm just glad I got a copy at a decent price. I was more than happy to pay $60 a few weeks ago..

7 minutes ago, Bighaley21 said:

I don't really think it's as much dropping like a rock as it's a ton of quick flippers that bought it at the $80 price point and wanting the quick $40-50 profit. I'm just glad I got a copy at a decent price. I was more than happy to pay $60 a few weeks ago..

It was sitting at $250 for awhile.  50% drop for some unlucky few.

59 minutes ago, williamblood said:

bottom left corner most copies have it if you look at pics on ebay, midtown and torpedo both had it. last i heard 80-90% of run was like that. i have 2 copies i got for 25 each but am waiting till cgc decides what there doing

My corners look good. Definetely no spilting like I see on eBay copies.  I better get these in quick before they decide it’s a printing issue.

EFF1F2BF-65DD-4D30-8DCB-68171E6EA006.jpeg

F2D748C2-ED1D-45D4-8D37-EE245393C862.jpeg

18 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Confirmed total number is 2500 among the distributors.  One of my buddies asked someone at Torpedo.  The price will go up once it sells out for real

Why will the price go up? Is the demand in the book that high? If it was why the  drop in price? U think when they completely sell out it will sky rocket?

26 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Why will the price go up? Is the demand in the book that high? If it was why the  drop in price? U think when they completely sell out it will sky rocket?

bendis who is taking over has said the new villain will play big part going forward. ac1000 is his 1st appearance and lee tour cover is only one that shows him. all of that plus it being limited to 2500. this will be a 300-400 raw book in a few months. and depending on what cgc does with printing errors 9.8 might be very very rare

6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yeah, it'a a toss up but I too think there are a lot of positives for the book ( especially once midtown and torpedo sells out).  2500 print run, Milestone book with popular cover, Jim lee actually drawing the cover on twitch, only cover with the villain, 1st appearance, nice cover, etci

Edited by Wolverinex

6 hours ago, williamblood said:
6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

bendis who is taking over has said the new villain will play big part going forward. ac1000 is his 1st appearance and lee tour cover is only one that shows him. all of that plus it being limited to 2500. this will be a 300-400 raw book in a few months. and depending on what cgc does with printing errors 9.8 might be very very rare

Bendis says a lot of things. 

You are betting on a villain in a Superman book that nobody buys anymore? You paid handsomely for it and then sent it in to be slabbed. You are hoping 
here that CGC recognizes an error as well. My point is there is a lot of betting and a lot of hope here with a larger amount of money gambled.

I hope you are right I'd like to see Superman get more press and a villain of his even more. I like Jim Lee I really do, but some of us remember
Superman 204 and the result of it.

Its not a bet I would take though based on previous sales of Superman he hasn't been relevant in a long time.

Edited by fastballspecial

11 hours ago, williamblood said:

I wanna believe you (I bought two copies), but I don't think any increase to value will be able to sustain itself in the long term.  Bendis might say the villain will play a bigger role, but I wasn't terribly impressed by the villain in the story.  This is opposed to the Batman Who Laughs who was seen as an interesting hybrid and I feel readers really latched on to the character (hence why Teen Titans 12 did so well).  I don't think readers are as invested in whoever this new guy is (see, I can't even be bothered to remember his name).

The book does have the fact that it's not only a first appearance, but also a first cover appearance.  And there is the fact that Jim Lee drew it (still my favorite artist of all time).  But it's hardly what you would call an "iconic" cover is it.  It's no Silver Surfer 4, Infinity Gauntlet #1, Batman #608 2nd print, or Amazing Spider-Man 300.  I personally feel like it's a pretty standard cover.  Very busy.  

And lastly, a 2500 print run hardly means anything.  The Adam Hughes cover of Amazing Spider-Man is selling for $20 (maybe $35 on eBay).  The virgin cover which has a print run of 1000 is selling for ~$90.  Personally, when it comes to these store variants, I think you're really looking at a niche market of solely collectors.  The average buyer who is more interested in the story isn't going to care much if a book is the standard cover A or if it's a Jim Lee variant.  Just whatever looks coolest.  Not whichever has the lower print run.

I personally think we'll see prices settle down in a few months.  But I hope I'm wrong.

11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

You are betting on a villain in a Superman book that nobody buys anymore? You paid handsomely for it and then sent it in to be slabbed. You are hoping 
here that CGC recognizes an error as well. My point is there is a lot of betting and a lot of hope here with a larger amount of money gambled.

I hope you are right I'd like to see Superman get more press and a villain of his even more. I like Jim Lee I really do, but some of us remember

Its not a bet I would take though based on previous sales of Superman he hasn't been relevant in a long time.

i bought my 2 copies for cover price. 25 each.

i havent slabbed it yet

so ive gambled 50 dollars, 

1 hour ago, williamblood said:
12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

i bought my 2 copies for cover price. 25 each.

i havent slabbed it yet

so ive gambled 50 dollars, 

Well that's not a terrible bet. Considering what others have paid especially.

I just have bad memories from Superman 204. It was going to be a smashing success with Jim Lee 
and the writer Azzerelo. It was very poorly received at the time.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Well that's not a terrible bet. Considering what others have paid especially.

I just have bad memories from Superman 204. It was going to be a smashing success with Jim Lee 
and the writer Azzerelo. It was very poorly received at the time.

I missed out on the 204 problems.   Why was it poorly received?  Because of the story or cover?