• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are art collectors?

Art collectors - how old are you?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Age ranges

• Under 30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71 and above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2018 at 07:04 AM

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

The under 30 bracket at less than 2% is the most interesting thing about this poll.  Don't know if that reflects this platform skewing older in general, or if it reflects the art collecting community skewing older.  Probably a combination of both.

Also budgetary.     Even introductory level pages are expensive when you are 20, 25

4 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

The under 30 bracket at less than 2% is the most interesting thing about this poll.  Don't know if that reflects this platform skewing older in general, or if it reflects the art collecting community skewing older.  Probably a combination of both.

Younger people use other platforms, this is kinda a more, "serious" forum for a lot of people when it comes to collecting, though a lot of people do know it exist, or might just not post. You can find the younger demographics on Reddit, 4Chan, Instagram, and some other smaller communities

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:16 AM, williamhlawson said:

I expect to see a ridiculously high number in thae 41 - 50 range continue.  The under 30 result will most likely end up causing concern amongst many I presume as well.  But...many collector's I know 'graduated' to art after focusing on comics, books, toys and even posters prior to the art bug biting them.   I didn't know a lot of collectors in my 20's and early 30's other than myself actually, but boom...here we are now!  I don't know a lot of 20 something's who throw 1k around for a high quality (hopefully) splash page either.  As a book I read once said..."Don't Panic". And obviously...the answer will be 42....;)

What I said 11 days ago above still holds I believe...combined with learning that the age is skewing older here...it's still 42.

1 hour ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Younger people use other platforms, this is kinda more, "serious" forum for a lot of people when it comes to collecting, though a lot fo people know it exist, or might just not post. You can find the younger demographics on Reddit, 4Chan, Instagram, and some other smaller communities

Thanks, I, being one of the 'newer' older users thought I'd found the end all, be all's of discussion forums between this and a few others.  What do the kids dig these days?  The movies have front and centered our beloved universes, the characters and their ideals are forefront, I do not expect them to fade.  The kid's are coming, they always do.  Even if they don't read the comics, they sure love everything else about them.  I have faith.  I never would have believed the characters and stories I was ridiculed for loving would dominate the world...but here we are, glad you are too!

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Yes. I agree with both being big factors to accuracy on a narrow site poll. This makes me wonder what younger Americans actually know about art, how they perceive it and whether that is a hurdle. Sad, but possibly true. My art teacher's rocked in the 70's and 80's, don't know if that holds true today (I would imagine it would have to, labor of love). 

Still...I'm sticking with 42

Panic.gif

Thanks, I, being one of the 'newer' older users thought I'd found the end all, be all's of discussion forums between this and a few others.  What do the kids dig these days?  The movies have front and centered our beloved universes, the characters and their ideals are forefront, I do not expect them to fade.  The kid's are coming, they always do.  Even if they don't read the comics, they sure love everything else about them.  I have faith.  I never would have believed the characters and stories I was ridiculed for loving would dominate the world...but here we are, glad you are too!

Besides the ones I mentioned, Twitter has also become huge for comics, and the industry where fans can talk to the writers, and artist directly, though drama has also come from it, where some professionals have gotten into arguments, or said statements that have gotten them in trouble. But besides the politics it really does help artist, and the art collecting community I think. Many of the modern artist that some here might not even know, and even some of the veteran pros like Jim Lee have tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of followers who see them post their original art, and even commissions they do, often times with them saying where it can be bought, and fans asking if they have any for sale.

This is even more true for platforms like Instagram, where it's much more visual based, so a lot of artist flourish in that environment. Comic artist posting nothing but their comic art they drew, or inked, exposing tons of people to it at a time. Jim Lee for example has over 300k followers, and his last post with original art in it has over 25k likes for example. That means that those 25 thousand people know that original art exist, not counting his other followers, and the multitude of people who follow other various comic artist on there. This means that a lot of people have been exposed to comic art, and do actually know what it is despite what some people might think. In fact more people might know what it is than the older generations who didn't have these mediums available to them then. So even if only a small amount of those people get interested enough to buy it, it would still be a larger amount I think then years past. The real question is what will those younger people be interested in? Modern Image title artwork, superior spider-man, and not classic Kirby, for example? Hard to say, because a lot of people know who these older artist actually are, and have read their work in the trades. Even if not they understand the importance of their contribution to the medium, and have said they would love to own a Kirby page for example, but simply can't afford it. So while they might have an interest in buying art from modern titles now, it doesn't mean they won't be interested in it in the future when they have greater income. I after all bought my Kirby piece only a few weeks in of being 21, and have since added pieces both by modern artist, and older ones like Ditko, and Kubert.

I think if we looked at other platforms besides the boards we would see that original art does have some interest to younger people who are comic fans. In fact I think this is why Felix does so well with his art sales, and has such young customers, because he knows how to maintain an online presence, and use these platforms to his advantage. Something I haven't seen many of the old school dealers do. I've even seen stuff that people have bought from Felix, get posted on Reddit for example.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:52 AM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

the irony here, is that Felix barely knows how to use FB.....:baiting:

Haha! So true!

I really despise FB. I was never on social media before Felix Comic Art. It's strictly a necessary evil now.

(About FB specifically...my instincts have been proven correct!)

I started collecting original art when I was 22 in 2007. 11 years ago. Now I am 33, turning 34 this summer. I've gathered quite a collection of original comic art over the past 10 years, and have deep collections of a certain artist. 

Check my CAF gallery to see who. :wink:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=35835

Turning 45 later this year.

Started buying original art in late 90s but only for my Batman: The Animated Series collection of all sorts.  Eventually decided to expand OA collecting a few years later.  Semi-retired a few years ago but a recent acquisition brought me back to active status.

And, by the way, a few of you know me as Frosty.  CGC had me re-register my old account but now under a new public name (it's "Frost" in katakana).