• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Prices
3 3

257 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I think my ASM #299 cover traded hands privately at $120K (maybe a second time at $100K IIRC) before I snagged it at more than 40% off peak value in the McSpidey glut that ensued after the Shamus sale.  It's probably rebounded somewhat since then, but, I'm not sure it's back to peak value yet.  The DKR market also experienced a supply glut post-2011; remember back when even B+ pages would fetch $40-$45K?  Some pages from that book are still probably below peak theoretical value reached in the very early 2010s. 

Yeah, I'd be pretty nervous about McFarlane art, even McSpidey stuff, staying up that high in the long run. If you love it, though, you love it. I do think Liefeld prime Marvel stuff might be a bit undervalued.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

7 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

1) I have no nostalgia at all for the Capullo Batman #1 cover.  My Nostalgia sweet spot is the late 70's to mid-80's. I just think the people who do have nostalgia for that cover are not even in their earning prime yet, and that is an iconic cover for that generation of collectors.

2) The ASM #100 cover looks far better in color than in black and white. The reason why it's a striking cover (to the extent that it is) is because it has Spidey on top of a black background.

3) It's not that artistic. Its just Spider-Man on top of the headshots of his rogues gallery.

4) You think this is one of the top 4 Romita covers of all time? Really?  Better than 40? Better than 67? Better than 75? Better than 68? Better than 70?

I actually like ASM 100 better in black and white, but I agree, it doesn't do much for me artistically at all.

Its an A+ cover right now simply because it checks a ton of boxes.    Let's not confuse desirability with artistry.

Just now, MarvelComicsArt said:

And yes "REALLY" I know it is within the top ROMITA spiderman covers of all time.

Here's a question.    Who the @#$! cares if its a 'top five' or 'top ten' or 'top 3 by this guy' or 'top 8 by that guy' cover?    No disrespect.    He's not a stellar artist.   Nice solid, dependable, sure.   

It all boils down to what's on the cover more than how well its drawn.    

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I actually like ASM 100 better in black and white, but I agree, it doesn't do much for me artistically at all.

Its an A+ cover right now simply because it checks a ton of boxes.    Let's not confuse desirability with artistry.

It checks a ton of boxes that may not hold up over time.

1. Spider-Man? Probably holds up.

2. Main Spidey Title? Holds up

3. Issue #100? OK. probably holds up.

4. Artistic value? Nope.

5. Romita Sr? Not gonna be getting peak prices in 10-15 years as that group of collectors ages out of the hobby.

12 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

1) I have no nostalgia at all for the Capullo Batman #1 cover.  My Nostalgia sweet spot is the late 70's to mid-80's. I just think the people who do have nostalgia for that cover are not even in their earning prime yet, and that is an iconic cover for that generation of collectors.

2) The ASM #100 cover looks far better in color than in black and white. The reason why it's a striking cover (to the extent that it is) is because it has Spidey on top of a black background.

3) It's not that artistic. Its just Spider-Man on top of the headshots of his rogues gallery.

4) You think this is one of the top 4 Romita covers of all time? Really?  Better than 40? Better than 67? Better than 75? Better than 68? Better than 70?

If you have no nostalgia for Capullo Batman #1 than why even make the comparison? 

And yes "REALLY" I know it is within the top ROMITA spiderman covers of all time.

1) ASM 39

2)ASM 50

3)ASM 122

4)ASM 100

5)Spectacular Spiderman #2  painted Romita cover ( spiderman and green goblin)

and as far as it being artistic ... its a beautiful cover .

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Here's a question.    Who the @#$! cares if its a 'top five' or 'top ten' or 'top 3 by this guy' or 'top 8 by that guy' cover?    No disrespect.    He's not a stellar artist.   Nice solid, dependable, sure.   

It all boils down to what's on the cover more than how well its drawn.    

He's a dependable, technically skilled, professional artist. Great human being. Like a Dan DeCarlo on Archie, or Curt Swan on Superman. He happened to have a long run on an important comic at a time when a lot of iconic stories were told.

1 minute ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

If you have no nostalgia for Capullo Batman #1 than why even make the comparison? 

1) ASM 39

2)ASM 50

3)ASM 122

4)ASM 100

5)Spectacular Spiderman #2  painted Romita cover ( spiderman and green goblin)

and as far as it being artistic ... its a beautiful cover .

Because that Capullo cover recently sold for $50K, and I suspect that person could sell it right now for more than that. When that age group matures, it's going to be one of the grails of the hobby - for them.

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

He's a dependable, technically skilled, professional artist. Great human being. Like a Dan DeCarlo on Archie, or Curt Swan on Superman. He happened to have a long run on an important comic at a time when a lot of iconic stories were told.

exactly.   

How in the world can you say that Romita is not a stellar artist. What ?????

Thats nonsense , he is one of the originators of the "Marvel house"  style. ( Kirby first than Buscema )

Romita is an incredible artist . You must not like well drawn , well laid out pages.

Romita in his prime was magnificent!

Edited by MarvelComicsArt

I don't mean to be confrontational, or anything. I'm sure the person who owns that ASM #100 cover loves it, and has no regrets. I'm just stating my opinion as someone who has zero nostalgia for that art, and looks at it objectively. Obviously, I could be proven wrong. But, this is my humble opinion.

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I don't mean to be confrontational, or anything. I'm sure the person who owns that ASM #100 cover loves it, and has no regrets. I'm just stating my opinion as someone who has zero nostalgia for that art, and looks at it objectively. Obviously, I could be proven wrong. But, this is my humble opinion.

well said, same here

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

I think most people with Todd McFarlane covers wonder what would have happened if we'd sold around the time of the Shamus frenzy and used that money for other things.  

...Or held onto the cash to re-purchase McFarlane originals at 40% discount in the years that followed.

Things are rebounding now, but still not where they were at the peak.

Please, oh please, let the McFarlane cover owners know this... privately, they are asking 2012 prices + hefty markup!

7 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

When that age group matures, it's going to be one of the grails of the hobby - for them.

I doubt it.  I think it's hot now, being a fairly recent memorable run, but, I don't think it will have the staying power of the classics that reached a much larger audience across generations. 2c 

14 minutes ago, MarvelComicsArt said:

How in the world can you say that Romita is not a stellar artist. What ?????

Thats nonsense , he is one of the originators of the "Marvel house"  style. ( Kirby first than Buscema )

Romita is an incredible artist . You must not like well drawn , well laid out pages.

Romita in his prime was magnificent!

I don't even know where to start.     I'll just say that I don't agree.   Good, solid, sure.   Far from magnificent.

As your post implies, if it wasn't for the Marvel association, you wouldn't give two crepes about him.

And if he had worked on, I dunno, film storyboards or soap advertisements instead of marvel comics, you (we!) wouldn't even know his name let alone think he was magnificent.

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

And if he had worked on, I dunno, film storyboards or soap advertisements instead of marvel comics, you (we!) wouldn't even know his name let alone think he was magnificent.

good grief - insert any artist that is well known for drawing super heroes and this fits. SMH

Not at all, I respect everyone's opinions ... so nothing is ever taken personally .

Its always all in good fun!

However you Mr. Bronty claiming that Romita is not a stellar artist.

Come on .... that's just crazy talk. He may not be your cup of tea but he is and will always will be remembered as an exceptional artist.

Why is it that even after all of these years,  his  images of spiderman are still being used on every possible piece of merchandise available to the mass public.

It's because it's visually stunning Art. His idealized version of Peter Parker and Spiderman's whole universe is breath taking! From Gwen to Mary Jane.

(before Adam Hughes there was John Romita . No one could create a more idealized world than he). And thats what makes him such a great artist!

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

26 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah, I'd be pretty nervous about McFarlane art, even McSpidey stuff, staying up that high in the long run. If you love it, though, you love it. I do think Liefeld prime Marvel stuff might be a bit undervalued.

McFarlane certainly deserves to be "highly-valued". But for a short while his stuff was the "highest-valued" american comic art.