• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for $100,00 portfolio
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I'd pick up:

AF#15 - low-mid grade  (25K or there abouts)

FF#1 - low-mid grade  (15K or there abouts)

ASM #1 - low/mid grade   (10K or there abouts)

The other 50K

Hulks 181 - multiple copies in the 8.0-9.4 range (15-20K worth)

Single Digit ASM's - mid-grade or better copies (say 6.5-8.5 range depending on the book - 15-20K worth)

Detective 168 - best copy you can buy with the "leftover" funds (10K or more depending on what you spend on the above)

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

Not really important, but some of my keys are Superman 14, multiple Spidey 14s, multiple Avengers 1 and 4, some HG early JLA, early FFs and Spideys, All Winners 1 ,All Select 1, some Marvel Mysterys,

bunch of Timley Captain Americas, some Schomburg Nedors. Typical stuff.

Stay away from ASM 14, I had a 9.4 over 10 years ago and the price hasn't moved, it's a common book. Don't bother with early JLAs since the movie was terrible and Avengers 1 is another common book that seems to be everywhere.  Stick with early FFs 1-20 and Spidey 1-7, 11-13, 15. 

Edited by Kevin76

21 hours ago, shadroch said:

Came into an unexpected windfall. It was actually expected but the size of it was a shock. I was already well prepared for retirement and don't have any immediate needs or even wants. My current thoughts are to use some of it buy 12-20 CGC books, most likely SA Marvels but if a classic GA cover came along, I might go for it.  Suggestions for either individual candidates or an entire portfolio are most welcome. Portfolios should have at least eight, and less than 25 books.  Might consider some artwork.

If I came across a lot of money like that, I would defnitely spend it on original artwork. I expect to see a correction in the market in the next few years, especially with slabbed comics, variants, and modern comics, but you can never go wrong with original art. Over the last 25-30 years, original art has pretty much beaten everything in regards to return on investment. 

22 hours ago, shadroch said:

Came into an unexpected windfall. It was actually expected but the size of it was a shock. I was already well prepared for retirement and don't have any immediate needs or even wants. My current thoughts are to use some of it buy 12-20 CGC books, most likely SA Marvels but if a classic GA cover came along, I might go for it.  Suggestions for either individual candidates or an entire portfolio are most welcome. Portfolios should have at least eight, and less than 25 books.  Might consider some artwork.

Pedigree keys. Doesn't matter which ones, you know the hobby well enough to know what is a true key and what is hot now.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

100K. 

Go with you gut. There has been some movement on MS #5 and TMNT #1, but there are "safer" options. Ih 181 in 9.8 went for cheaper than I heard ms 5...if your main goal is silver age it might depend on what you already own and or you could upgrade. I like the idea of ff 48-50 or some other type of run. Personally, I'd go for highest graded in whatever you choose. :foryou:

Yea, you could buy 1 book for 100 k......  but think how much fun you'll have making it last with parameters like......  buy 100 books that cost $1000 each hm  or some such thing. Put some fun into it :grin:

My plan is to buy these, hold them five years and then sell one every few months.  My niche, until now, has been in lower value books.  I have many short boxes of $100 books, and a mostly filled box of books that are pushing the $1,000 mark but very few in the over $3,000 range. Didn't want to have that much tied up in a single book, so I tend to sell if a book gets over $2500.  I don't have a lot of faith in the premiums 9.8s get, so 8.5-9.4 is what I'm looking at.

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Guess we all can't be as perfect as you.

Ah, I was only teasing Shadroch. No offence meant :foryou:

I'm assuming you're not that bothered about investment potential, as you'd know what to buy in that case as Oak implied. I agree with Senormac - put some fun into it. The windfall was unexpected,  and you say you don't need the money, so buy what you love. It's a nice problem to have!

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Ah, I was only teasing Shadroch. No offence meant :foryou:

I'm assuming you're not that bothered about investment potential, as you'd know what to buy in that case as Oak implied. I agree with Senormac - put some fun into it. The windfall was unexpected,  and you say you don't need the money, so buy what you love. It's a nice problem to have!

You are forgiven.

Edited by shadroch

On 3/28/2018 at 8:27 AM, Kevin76 said:

Stay away from ASM 14, I had a 9.4 over 10 years ago and the price hasn't moved, it's a common book. Don't bother with early JLAs since the movie was terrible and Avengers 1 is another common book that seems to be everywhere.  Stick with early FFs 1-20 and Spidey 1-7, 11-13, 15. 

Maybe I am missing this.  Are you serious or joking?

5  years ago the top price paid for a copy of ASM 14 in 9.4 was $5975 (the low was $4930)

The last sale on a copy of ASM 14 in 9.4 was $11,353