• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand Comics Question
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Perhaps I've been out of touch for a while but I noticed there is a greater emphasis on collecting newsstand copies of comics now. I have several Marvel/DC keys from the Bronze and Copper era that have the UPC codes. I have ASM 194, ASM 361, X-Men 101, Batman 357, DCP 26, Tec 476 just to name a few.  I bought them when no one seemed to care about newsstand vs.direct. How do I know which comics are more valuable than the Direct version, if they are? Please advise.

Edited by solm4st3r

Detective 476 only came in the newsstand version, direct-market versions weren't available for DC until a year or so later. I think it may be the same case with X-Men 101. Aside from the ASM 361, most of those issues came from an era when the newsstand v direct circulation was more balanced, but you may still be able to get a bit of a premium if they're high-grade.

Even if they're not considered more valuable, aren't newsstand editions generally considered more desirable because they didn't have the same survival rate as direct editions? I've heard stories about newsstand vendors tearing the covers off comics that didn't sell, to return to the publisher.  And it just seems they would have been around a harsher environment, in general. Like, more out in the elements rather than the loving embrace of a comic shop.  I'll pay a couple bucks more for a newsstand edition if the grades are the same.

There are a number of collectors that prefer newsstand editions. I can appreciate both sides of the topic. For me, I do like the Newsstand over the Spidey for some Bronze issues. This Avengers 196 is my favorite book to cite in this discussion. At higher grades, very few are available in the Newsstand format. If you look for a 9.8 copy of this anywhere..... it will likely be a direct edition. 

Of course, this is one of my favorite covers!  The greens on this book are wonderful.

Avengers 196 9.8.jpg

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Detective 476 only came in the newsstand version, direct-market versions weren't available for DC until a year or so later. I think it may be the same case with X-Men 101. Aside from the ASM 361, most of those issues came from an era when the newsstand v direct circulation was more balanced, but you may still be able to get a bit of a premium if they're high-grade.

Yeah all of these comics are CGC 9.6 except the X-Men 101 which is a 9.2. I'm sure I have more. I just need to check.

as a general rule, the newer the comic, the more likely it is to have a newsstand premium, especially in higher grades.  To get an idea of what the premium might be, you can just do sampling of completed ebay sales.

2 hours ago, larryfk said:

Even if they're not considered more valuable, aren't newsstand editions generally considered more desirable because they didn't have the same survival rate as direct editions?

Maybe to somebody who only cares about rarity... or ridiculous claims of rarity.

At the retail level, unsold Newsstands were (supposed to be) returned/destroyed, while unsold Directs were moved to the back issue section. But that doesn't mean the total quantities sold (by the publisher) weren't the same or even in favour of Newsstand editions.

I've heard stories about newsstand vendors tearing the covers off comics that didn't sell, to return to the publisher.

That stopped before Direct editions existed and even before comics got defaced by UPCs. Actual returns haven't been cost effective for a long time.

If you've heard stories about that, have you also heard stories about fraud in the newsstand distribution system?

And it just seems they would have been around a harsher environment, in general. Like, more out in the elements rather than the loving embrace of a comic shop.  I'll pay a couple bucks more for a newsstand edition if the grades are the same.

If you've never seen comics mishandled at a comic shop (by customers or employees), I guess you and your store are very lucky. For Newsstands, do you think the people who bought them picked the worst copies or were those the ones that were left when they were pulled from the racks?

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:

direct_newsstand.png

Awesome chart!

I prefer Newsstand Edition due to the rarity of them being in high grades. Also, the barcode compared to "Spidey-Head/Cap-Head" is a better look in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, DjMartini said:

Awesome chart!

I prefer Newsstand Edition due to the rarity of them being in high grades. Also, the barcode compared to "Spidey-Head/Cap-Head" is a better look in my opinion. 

I like the cap head < bar code < spidey head <  swinging spidey < bat signal in the UPC

1 hour ago, DjMartini said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

direct_newsstand.png

Awesome chart!

I prefer Newsstand Edition due to the rarity of them being in high grades.

Right - the chart is really about the number that were printed, not about how many survived, and not about how many survived in high grade.  The red line goes low much quicker when you try to estimate high grade newsstands.

6 minutes ago, LoveThemSigs said:
5 hours ago, DjMartini said:

Awesome chart!

Would you still like the UPC better if it devalued your book?

for the vast majority of books for which they exist, the DCUniverse logo in the UPC makes it more valuable (in varying amounts)  than its counterparts.  But I would say nobody would choose it as a preference over the barcode or any of the other direct logos.  But sometimes I like the newsstand because I like the feeling of nostalgia of buying a book off the grocery store spinner rack.

IMG_8482.jpg

8 hours ago, DjMartini said:

Awesome chart!

:facepalm:

:censored: stripe fetishists.

MAD198.jpg.5a515d0008727f67627a4586b21d9590.jpg

6 hours ago, valiantman said:
8 hours ago, DjMartini said:
8 hours ago, valiantman said:

direct_newsstand.png

Awesome chart!

I prefer Newsstand Edition due to the rarity of them being in high grades.

Right - the chart is really about the number that were printed, not about how many survived, and not about how many survived in high grade.  The red line goes low much quicker when you try to estimate high grade newsstands.

No, it's about sales - official sales that were reported to the publishers. That chart is also way oversimplified.

Yes, it's safe to say a chart with "more" and "less" up the y-axis was made as a simplistic illustration to help people understand the generally-accepted downward trend of newsstands over the years and it is based on no concrete information as there has never been any data as fas as I'm aware from either of the big two regarding the newsstand/direct split. Even between the big two, their numbers would look different since DC continued long after Marvel stopped.

What's relevant today for those of us that are UPC Chasers is how many of each have survived and are available in high grade. As a few of us have said ad nauseam here, if CGC had or would at some point begin differentiating these versions, then census numbers and GPA data could give us some tangible stats rather than relying on conjecture and occasional sales. But, oh well....