• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "Does Anyone Know Where/If/When This Art Was Printed?" Thread
1 1

91 posts in this topic

So, like a lot of you, I've accumulated some art over the past four decades of collecting that I've not been able to find in print. It seems like as good a time as any to start a thread and geeksource these questions to the collective hivemind that is dis place.

Since I'm already here, I'll go first... This is by Trevor Von Eeden, but I don't know if it's a commission, pin-up or what. It's unusual if it's a commission, because Batman is not the central figure in the piece. It's about 13x18, mixed media. Has anybody ever seen this in print?

VonEEden.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

Crickets. That means this is either a bad idea for a thread or nobody has ever seen the Von Eeden before. I'll double down and try another.

This is Nebres, and I'm pretty sure it's Red Sonja. It has a sizing percentage written on the back which would put at at the size of a magazine page. Anybody ever seen it? Bueller?

nebressonja.jpg

I think the thread is a great idea.  People just have not seen those images.  I'll continue the thread by re-mentioning some of my mystery items.  I think I have asked about all of them before with no real answers.

First is this Gary Frank Batman - I actually asked Gary Frank.  He does not remember, but he doesn't think it was a fan commission so it was published somewhere.  Previous speculations include a comic industry publication (e.g. Wizard) or a convention program guide.  Either way, no one knows

ZSPsOTsR_1306171815131gpadd.jpg

Next is a Hitch JLA piece.  I asked him and he said he did it for DC Licensing but he has no clue where it was used

1lLKNuVt_0908151257101.jpg

Finally is this Punisher Style guide.  Unsigned.  Looks professionally drawn (I think).  There certainly is a lot of detail int he face.   But anyone recognize the style and can determine the artist?

gq49FLJo_1612171459441gpadd.jpg

Good luck to everyone looking for info on their art!

Malvin

Thanks for playing along, Malvin. I love that Gary Frank piece, but probably retraced your steps in trying to find it online. The other two are beyond me. The Punisher almost looks like it could be Gary Frank, but my super powers of artist recognition work better with the older stuff, since I'm made of the older stuff. I've got more to add -- I'll drop in one a day until I run out.

At the risk of pushing this thread to a feeble pitch, I'll try again, because I'm nothing if not stubborn. It only gets more eclectic from here, so I expected the responses to noticeably decline.

This is Wally Wood, probably from some late 50s or early 60s science fiction pulp or digest. I want to know so I can read the story. It looks like a fun story.

woodillo.jpg

3 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

It looks like a fun story.

To say the least.  That has must read written all over it to me.  I have no idea about publication questions it would seem all are out of my wheelhouse, but just wondering if those reflective globes hold a portrait?  They look incredibly well done.

On 4/18/2018 at 1:00 PM, malvin said:

Next is a Hitch JLA piece.  I asked him and he said he did it for DC Licensing but he has no clue where it was used

1lLKNuVt_0908151257101.jpg

I can't help you with where it was published or what it looked like...but here is the companion piece to yours

wsheroes.jpg.f084fc182c9ada5cbb6556eb8b3e9a1a.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, Weird Paper said:

At the risk of pushing this thread to a feeble pitch, I'll try again, because I'm nothing if not stubborn. It only gets more eclectic from here, so I expected the responses to noticeably decline.

This is Wally Wood, probably from some late 50s or early 60s science fiction pulp or digest. I want to know so I can read the story. It looks like a fun story.

woodillo.jpg

http://www.null-entropy.com/2012/04/wally-wood1927-1981the-galaxy-illustrations-pt-2/

Scroll down the page.  Your illo *appears* to have been used for the August 1959 edition of GALAXY MAGAZINE.

Here's a similar one:

wood_1959_08_galaxy_e.jpg

1 hour ago, Pants said:

Anyone know if this Tom Grummett piece was published? The writing at the top says Batman 'Coloring Book', but I haven't found one with this image.

Batman Coloring Book.jpg

Great image!

15 hours ago, Pants said:

Anyone know if this Tom Grummett piece was published? The writing at the top says Batman 'Coloring Book', but I haven't found one with this image.

Batman Coloring Book.jpg

I asked the Facebook community on Tom Grummett's fan page about this and I got the following info:

"Yes. This was used for WB Store Puzzle. I still have mine." John S. Jr.

Here's the image he included:

wbpuzzle.jpg 

9 hours ago, CartoonFanboy said:

I believe this was published in Ultraverse #0. Short story featuring Hardcase before his team the "Squad" gets mostly killed.

Thanks a million! This was my first piece of OA, purchased 15+ years ago at Comic-Con. It's been sitting with me unidentified ever since.