• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Connect started to post next Auction items
2 2

74 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2018 at 9:00 AM, entalmighty1 said:

I would say the vast majority still worry about it, but not in the way they used to.  Now they're hoping it isn't pressed, so they can have it pressed with the hope of a condition upgrade.  The worm has definitely turned, so to speak.

I guess I'm in the minority that still worries about it. I won't bid on a book if I know it has been pressed, but most of the time I don't know. I do search HA for old scans, and if I see that a book has been upgraded, I won't bid. Most of my books won't be pressed in my lifetime because I don't intend to press them or sell them. The few books that I sell will probably be pressed by somebody else.

If pressing isn't going to be considered restoration, at the very least it should be considered damage. A flattened crease that is still detectable should be penalized more heavily than a crease that hasn't been flattened.

I also hypothesize that the humidity that books are exposed to during pressing initiates rusting of the staples. I see far, far more books with rusty staples than I did even 15 years ago, and the advent of the pressing craze seems to be the watershed.

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I guess I'm in the minority that still worries about it. I won't bid on a book if I know it has been pressed, but most of the time I don't know. I do search HA for old scans, and if I see that a book has been upgraded, I won't bid. Most of my books won't be pressed in my lifetime because I don't intend to press them or sell them. The few books that I sell will probably be pressed by somebody else.

If pressing isn't going to be considered restoration, at the very least it should be considered damage. A flattened crease that is still detectable should be penalized more heavily than a crease that hasn't been flattened.

I also hypothesize that the humidity that books are exposed to during pressing initiates rusting of the staples. I see far, far more books with rusty staples than I did even 15 years ago, and the advent of the pressing craze seems to be the watershed.

As long as there is significant monetary differences between half grade points, this trend will continue to grow.  Just the way it is now.

As far as rusty staples due to humidity increase, I guess it's possible, but I'm not a presser, so I don't really understand the intricacies of the process. :shrug:

On 5/8/2018 at 5:17 AM, jimjum12 said:

I guess it's time for a reality check here for you guys. Pressing is NOT going away. It will NOT become part of CGC's restoration check..... ever. Even should the technology be available to detect it, it would not be cost effective to apply it to each of the millions of books that are slabbed. I love all of you guy's, but wouldn't everyone be happier if they just let go of all the butthurt..... stop embracing it ? I personally don't have hardly any books pressed, but for me it's mainly a time issue .... so I don't really have a horse in this race. I just hate to see folks I admire and respect to spend so much time agonizing over their disdain ...... how many are there, maybe a dozen collectors who dwell on this still ? I mean, let's say you're a night owl and the sun rising in the morning just "bugs" you..... what are you going to do ? Keep on keeping on, right ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

the tired litany does make me eyeball-roll when it pops up yet again in an otherwise entertaining thread. 

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

the tired litany does make me eyeball-roll when it pops up yet again in an otherwise entertaining thread. 

Not impressed, eh? 

On 5/9/2018 at 11:30 AM, batman_fan said:

The horse has definitely left the barn on this one. I would strongly encourage anyone planning to sell books to look long and hard to decide if they should go through a round of pressing first. Given how even books that got jacked up from the pressing process still end up with big numbers on the label it would be in sellers best interest to get stuff pressed first. I hate it but it is a fact of life. 

It also seems if you have a great looking key that obviously hasn't been pressed, it might auction for a huge amount just for upgrade potential.   I guess “unpressed” might be a desirable attribute in many ways. 

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

It also seems if you have a great looking key that obviously hasn't been pressed, it might auction for a huge amount just for upgrade potential.   I guess “unpressed” might be a desirable attribute in many ways. 

Ah, good point.  The sweet spot is to be selling a book that seems to have a pressable defect but that you know actually doesn't. :)

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Ah, good point.  The sweet spot is to be selling a book that seems to have a pressable defect but that you know actually doesn't. :)

Why gamble by not pressing yourself?  I think they guy that paid crazy money for the raw Detective 29 that went through the treatment that  just auctioned did pretty well (going from memory).  The person the originally sold it should have just done the treatment themselves and made more bank.

3 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Why gamble by not pressing yourself?  I think they guy that paid crazy money for the raw Detective 29 that went through the treatment that  just auctioned did pretty well (going from memory).  The person the originally sold it should have just done the treatment themselves and made more bank.

You're missing the point of this sneaky maneuver.  We're assuming the book can't actually be improved with a press, but it appears as if it can.

So the book sells for a price higher than its grade because buyers think they are getting a deal -- but they are actually getting screwed.

It would be the ultimate example of how the hobby has evolved!  

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You're missing the point of this sneaky maneuver.  We're assuming the book can't actually be improved with a press, but it appears as if it can.

So the book sells for a price higher than its grade because buyers think they are getting a deal -- but they are actually getting screwed.

Why not be real weaselly and get it pressed, graded, then advertise it as "been in my collection for over 40 years, never pressed but definitely improvable"

I know, I know, "dude, that's about 1/2 the people selling on the boards business model"

Edited by batman_fan

On 5/10/2018 at 10:56 PM, batman_fan said:
On 5/10/2018 at 10:53 PM, Sqeggs said:

Why not be real weaselly and get it pressed, graded, then advertise it as "been in my collection for over 40 years, never pressed but definitely improvable"

I know, I know, "dude, that's about 1/2 the people selling on the boards business model"

I like the cut of your jib!

Of course, to really put the cherry on top, you should have first bought the book by telling the seller, "It's a grail for me.  I've spent 20 years looking for a copy this nice.  It will stay in my collection forever." ... and two weeks later, you consign it to Heritage.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I like the cut of your jib!

Of course, to really out the cherry on top, you should have first bought the book by telling the seller, "It's a grail for me.  I've spent 20 years looking for a copy this nice.  It will stay in my collection forever." ... and two weeks later, you consign it to Heritage.

No lie, way back in the late 80s while living in New Mexico, they had several decent comic book shows.  There was a younger kid walking around giving that line to dealers and immediately flipping the books to other dealers.