• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Connect started to post next Auction items
2 2

74 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I noticed that Worldwide has been a listing a ton of Avengers lately ... and they don't seem to be selling.

LOL. I've noticed this too. It's almost to the point of being an irritant, He'll have 10 Avengers drek listed, then one or two good comics, then more Avengers drek. It's all copper stuff that nobody seems interested in. I'm surprised he slabbed some of them.

18 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, I think it's a matter of CGC doesn't list this flaw on the label anymore. I wish they would. It is helpful.

Book in hand you don’t need label notes...I believe Cgc has stated if a flaw is visible in hand, they don’t note. 

Of course scans don’t always show flaws so grader notes probably where Cgc is steering (they sell, right?)

On 5/1/2018 at 6:22 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, looks like he has multiple copies of the early GA Cap's, including 2 copies of the highly sought after Cap 3, along with multiple copies of the last several issues of the GA Cap run.  :cloud9:

Saaweeet!!

22 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:
22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

All this talk made me a bit nostalgic and flipping through the Jon Berk catalogue reminds me that I really should have bidded higher on some of the books since they were really an once in a lifetime opportunity.  :frown:

I got 10 books from his auction, but have since resold a couple.  I really hate that I didn't get a catalog. :tonofbricks:

Well, having the real books themselves is better than having the auction catalogue. (thumbsu

The only reason I got one is that I contacted them and they Fed Ex one to me immediately.  I never even knew they had catalogues for their auctions until I saw boardies here talking about wanting a copy of the Berk catalogue.  The last catalogue I ever got from Metro was when they had the #1 Catalogue from way back in the 90's.  That was probably also around the last time I ever really purchased anything from them until the Berk Auction.  :D

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/2/2018 at 7:16 PM, lou_fine said:

I was lucky enough to have picked up 4 books from Jon's collection, namely 3 really early HTF Centaurs along with 1 later mid-grade, but still highest graded Fox book that apparently has no other pedigree copies in existence. :banana:

All this talk made me a bit nostalgic and flipping through the Jon Berk catalogue reminds me that I really should have bidded higher on some of the books since they were really an once in a lifetime opportunity.  :frown:

Hey Lou! Post a Berk book why dontcha!! Inquiring minds want to know!

On 5/2/2018 at 6:21 PM, G.A.tor said:

The book is unbelievably gorgeous in hand, as long as the rust doesn’t bother you. 

72A5FBB2-3F56-41B8-BDEC-84B54F613FB4.jpeg

I understand from a selling point about keeping it in a blue holder but if you’re a buyer and you planned on keeping it for some time isn’t it fair to be concerned that you’re at some point going to have to think about cleaning or replacing the staples therefore severely impacting the grade status it’s awarded in the future?

It seems like it’s a lot easier to slow down a books PQ status with correct storage than rust on staples once it’s begun due to environmental storage being only one factor in its rate of corrosion.

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

The book isn't as interesting as the label notes here:  https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=762008

So at one point they noted pressing on the label?  Man, if they start changing pressed books to PLOD again, there's going to be a lot of hurt feelings.

Unless it’s a bad press is it even possible to detect without the person submitting the book making full disclosure?

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

The book isn't as interesting as the label notes here:  https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=762008

So at one point they noted pressing on the label?  Man, if they start changing pressed books to PLOD again, there's going to be a lot of hurt feelings.

They only noted pressing when it was paired with solvent/aqueous cleaning. 

1 hour ago, N e r V said:
4 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

Unless it’s a bad press is it even possible to detect without the person submitting the book making full disclosure?

Pressing has always been a standard procedure used to finished off a restoration job depending upon the type of restoration work done on the book, especially if it had to be taken apart.  (thumbsu

Although it was common to used it in combination with other restoration activities, it was not that common prior to the days of CGC to have standalone pressing performed just by itself.  This thinking obviously changed when the whole pressing (and micro-trimming) fiasco came to light a few years after CGC first opened its doors and board members here (including Red Hook, Masterchief [really miss some of his amazing posts], and even Danny Boy himself, amongst others) presented before and after image scans that made it quite clear that CGC was significantly bumping up grades on books that had been pressed by favored or possibly astute customers (surprisingly not Metro) who were in on the know as to what was happening.  Unfortunately, before you knew it, standalone pressing had become a cottage industry and now even to the point whereby it has become almost standard procedure or a prerequisite to have a book pressed before it gets submitted in for grading. :frown:

Of course, my conspiracy theory at the time and one which I stated many times back then was that this whole pressing shenanigan was part of the whole game plan or business model right from the get go and already baked up in the minds of the CCG owners even before CGC ever first opened its doors.  They were just clever and sneaky enough to quietly implement an unpublished grading system whereby the established one at the time could be tweaked just enough without anybody knowing at first, so that certain defects would be hit harder than others in order to generate additional streams of revenue into their coffers once it did come to light.  Of course, they knew that once the barn doors were opened, nobody would ever be able to close them again, based upon their prior less than upfront experience with coin grading.  (tsk)

Based upon what I seen has taken place in this marketplace during the past decade, I believe it's probably less of a conspiracy theory now and probably more of a theoretical fact at this point of the game.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

I've always felt that a non-color breaking bend was a de minimus issue that should have little, if any impact on a book's grade.  It was only after the advent of CGC that this supposed "defect" could result in a significant grade reduction.  The problem is that this new grading theory created the pressing industry which, unfortunately, has resulted in several improperly pressed books having spine damage and/or an unattractive flattened spine.

And here I thought the Chinese invented pressing. hm

Didn’t Daniel Dupcak (and others) try an iron and board way back when to remove those hard to get and unsightly wrinkles? 

I seem to remember someone saying they saw those classic iron burn marks on some books at times.

E1B3CC2E-598B-4694-8C06-1BE6A115AEA4.jpeg.f806326c41e7781f58620f69590ba4fa.jpeg

25 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Didn’t Daniel Dupcak (and others) try an iron and board way back when to remove those hard to get and unsightly wrinkles? 

Not sure about the iron and board theory, but I am quite sure that Danny Boy went low tech when it came to trimming his books.

Instead of using something like a laser guided micro-trimmer, it clearly looked like he went cheap and simply used a garden hedge cutter to macro-trimmed away the rough edges of his books.  :facepalm:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

I'm sure I have a few books that would suffer— I don't necessarily know which ones—but pressed books should absolutely be PLOD books. Seeing pressing noted on the label would actually restore my faith in CGC.

50 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure about the iron and board theory, but I am quite sure that Danny Boy went low tech when it came to trimming his books.

Instead of using something like a laser guided micro-trimmer, it clearly looked like he went cheap and simply used a garden hedge cutter to macro-trimmed away the rough edges of his books.  :facepalm:  lol

Holy Sheiit ...

22 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm sure I have a few books that would suffer— I don't necessarily know which ones—but pressed books should absolutely be PLOD books. Seeing pressing noted on the label would actually restore my faith in CGC.

Of course, the party line is that they can't consistently detect pressing, so they can't note it.  They do deduct points for a bad pressing job.

At one time, Overstreet considered pressing to be restoration but he eventually backed away from that view, maybe for the same reason. hm