• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REMOVED - posting guidelines - LOCKED - disruptive thread - USPS double box method "illegal"?

175 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Is your feedback more than 10? Then don't sweat it. Seriously, who takes the time to read through that stuff anyway? Don't let your personal feelings cause you to draw this out any longer -- my policy is to get away from people like this as quickly and cleanly as possible. 

I asked the guy and he was totally fine with me leaving a comment.  

10 hours ago, jcjames said:

Using two USPS boxes but only paying for one. Hmm... hm

How is that different from jamming a dozen USPS Priority-Express bubble-envelopes into aPriority FR box for padding?

victimless crime?  or another way to look at it is free USPS advertising. someone did that on a package I received.  they were in such good shape I saved them and began reusing them for their intended purpose purchasing priority shipments.

also, I've received slabs from heritage via the doube USPS box method so they do it too. c'mon everyone's doing it.

Edited by justafan

May be technically illegal, but give me a break. If he’s wound up that tight I believe I’d have to consider blocking him.

USPS is probably actually saving money on the cost of boxes with comic geeks. We might use two boxes per transaction, but we also use the same boxes for multiple transactions instead of trashing or recycling them.

5 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I was tempted to ask him why he felt the need to call me a thief initially, but then had no problem selling copyrighted material illegally.

You can still report him to eBay for the feedback given, it is a violation of eBay feedback policy to give a positive feedback with negative content. 

14 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I've been having an interesting conversation going back and forth on eBay with a buyer who accused me of "stealing from the government" and of "being a thief" because I use the method of placing a 1092 box into a 1095 priority box for protection. I ship using Priority service, so I'm not like those sellers who cut up priority boxes to use as packing when they ship First Class or Media Mail.

Am I doing something against the USPS regulations? It seems if I'm using their free boxes to ship using the service they require for those boxes I should be OK, right?

I would think "thief" is actually a compliment..., compared to all your other heinous crimes? (shrug)

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I would think "thief" is actually a compliment..., compared to all your other heinous crimes? (shrug)

(tsk)

14 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I've been having an interesting conversation going back and forth on eBay with a buyer who accused me of "stealing from the government" and of "being a thief" because I use the method of placing a 1092 box into a 1095 priority box for protection. I ship using Priority service, so I'm not like those sellers who cut up priority boxes to use as packing when they ship First Class or Media Mail.

Am I doing something against the USPS regulations? It seems if I'm using their free boxes to ship using the service they require for those boxes I should be OK, right?

Image result for my glasses funny jpg

16 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Thank you :)

That's what I found so weird, he got a good deal on the book and it cost me more to ship than he paid for shipping and I usually get compliments from buyers for the way I package books.

Please name the buyer, so we can all ban and block him from transactions, sounds like a nutjob

3 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

Please name the buyer, so we can all ban and block him from transactions, sounds like a nutjob

I already named him in this thread.

26 minutes ago, wombat said:

The inner box is being used for shipping just like the outer box. Seems pretty cut and dry. 

I just did a search of USPS Office of Inspector General, and some other searches, and could really find nothing on the topic, except that if you're using priority supplies (including reused boxes, etc.), they must be shipped priority.  If anyone has found to the contrary, please post a link.

Personally, I think that cutting up new priority boxes, using priority bubble envelopes and priority Tyvek bags for interior packaging is stealing from the taxpayer, because it is stealing from the government, even if it's not strictly against US Postal regulations.  I just shake my head when I get in packages where someone has cut up 10 new boxes for interior packaging - such a waste of money and resources.

It is fine since the priority box is being used for it's intended purpose. Priority shipping. 

There is nothing in the code that says, "singular use" or anything like that.  I have combined boxes together to create a 'telescope' box for items.  I have also used two flattened priority boxes to ship cheap art pages.

However, yesterday I wrote a seller to explain himself.  He charged me priority shipping yet shipped a Star Wars TOY using MEDIA rate.  He basically at first told me that I was SOL... It was quickly resolved to my satisfaction.  To me THAT is dishonest.  

Be happy you get free boxes at USPS. Canada Post doesn't give you anything. I was in a post office last week and told the employee that in the US they get free Priority boxes and she looked at me as if I was on drugs when I suggested Canada Post follow suit.

52 minutes ago, Vox Virtus said:

I got some great insight and a few good laughs from this thread yesterday. Open my door this morning to discover I received a slab I had ordered...A SLAB. Singular. Here's the USPS Nesting Doll they used to send it. ^^

IMG_0743.thumb.JPG.89e7e51f04710a3936ae7a531a7e39b3.JPG

:roflmao:

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I just did a search of USPS Office of Inspector General, and some other searches, and could really find nothing on the topic, except that if you're using priority supplies (including reused boxes, etc.), they must be shipped priority.  If anyone has found to the contrary, please post a link.

Personally, I think that cutting up new priority boxes, using priority bubble envelopes and priority Tyvek bags for interior packaging is stealing from the taxpayer, because it is stealing from the government, even if it's not strictly against US Postal regulations.  I just shake my head when I get in packages where someone has cut up 10 new boxes for interior packaging - such a waste of money and resources.

I just use the two boxes for shipping and I buy bubble wrap from OfficeMax where they always have a buy 2 get 1 free deal. It costs more to ship that way but it's worth it IMHO.

5 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I just use the two boxes for shipping and I buy bubble wrap from OfficeMax where they always have a buy 2 get 1 free deal. It costs more to ship that way but it's worth it IMHO.

I've got so much cardboard, bubble wrap and packing peanuts saved from incoming purchases that my wife should probably evict me.  She always jokes about my cardboard box collection.