• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REMOVED - posting guidelines - LOCKED - disruptive thread - USPS double box method "illegal"?

175 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

I was thinking something like this?

The USPS allows the use of priority shipping boxes if using priority shipping.

Their character limitation makes it tough.

Like someone else said.. you run the risk of ticking him off and then he gets to reply to your reply.. and then you can't reply again.

So you'd have: snarky "positive feedback", with your reply below that, then _______ whatever this nut decides to post as the final word.  I would lean toward not replying to his feedback personally.

1 minute ago, newshane said:
19 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Looking at this persons Feedback Left For Others he is definitely particular on how his stuff is packaged, and he doesn't shy away from using positive feedback to express his displeasure. 

Too many boxes, too much tape, too many packing peanuts. :ohnoez:

This week I've been adding a TON of folks to my AVOID AT ALL COST list. 

I added this buyer to my list as well. The continuous use of positive feedback to express a negative by this particular ebayer made it an easy choice.

2 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Like someone else said.. you run the risk of ticking him off and then he gets to reply to your reply.. and then you can't reply again.

So you'd have: snarky "positive feedback", with your reply below that, then _______ whatever this nut decides to post as the final word.  I would lean toward not replying to his feedback personally.

since he's being reasonable maybe bounce your reply off him first to avoid this scenario

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

since he's being reasonable maybe bounce your reply off him first to avoid this scenario

True, that would work as well.. either way, he's made the list lol It's really hard to get added to my block list without personally dealing with me first.. but the feedback left for others by this guy is just too much.

6 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Am I doing something against the USPS regulations?

Probably answered but I say no way. I ship most of my eBay slabs in a Priority mail box and I use 2 Priority mail envelopes to secure the slab itself then securely wrap the Priority bubbles wrapped. My local postmaster knows full well what I’m doing and gives me large amounts of mailing supplies. Just asks that my eBay labels show his zip code. 

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Good work everyone that reported this auction.   :applause:

aaaaa.jpg.f35208a806c384c8e5670a36bd88dcff.jpg

35 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I also reported a Wonder Woman auction that had two DVDs.  It also went *poof*. 

I was tempted to ask him why he felt the need to call me a thief initially, but then had no problem selling copyrighted material illegally.

27 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I was tempted to ask him why he felt the need to call me a thief initially, but then had no problem selling copyrighted material illegally.

I would have. Theft is a serious accusation that I couldn't help but take personally.

5 hours ago, icefires said:

EBay Sellers' Misuse of USPS Supplies can Lead to Angry Customers and Fines

•••

Updated March 28, 2018

For many eBay sellers, a home eBay business is their first experience with any home business at all. They may not realize all the nuances and legalities involved in a home business such as tax implications or liability issues for selling recalled or defective products. One area that newer sellers often misunderstand is the use of USPS mail supplies when shipping. There are several misconceptions about the free USPS mail supplies.

All sellers should do their due diligence to understand how these free supplies are used. Misuse of USPS supplies can result in fines from the US government, as well as unhappy eBay customers and bad feedback.

USPS Priority Mail supplies are free from the post office. They may only be used for priority mail. Continued misuse may result in the post office charging for these supplies in the future. The disclaimer on every priority mail box and envelope states, 

"This packaging is the property of the united states postal service and is provided solely for use in sending priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law. This packaging is not for resale."

USPS Priority supplies may not be turned inside out

Oh clever eBay sellers, you aren't as clever as you think. This has been going on for years - eBay sellers thinking they can outsmart the post office by turning the free priority mail supplies inside out.

This is why the post office began stamping the inside of boxes and Tyveks on the inside - so if the box is turned inside out it is very obvious what's been done. Countless sellers still recommend to others to use this strategy for shipping items first class, parcel select, or first class international.

Just get the right supplies you need to start with. If money is tight, there are several ways to get free shipping supplies around your own community. 

Tyveks, Padded Flat Rate Envelopes, or Express Mail Envelopes should not be used as packing material

Another common misuse of USPS supplies is using the envelopes for packing material. For example, wrapping a small breakable lightweight item in a padded flat rate envelope then putting it inside a plain poly mailer and shipping it first class. A big no-no. Using PFREs or Tyvek envelopes as dunnage or packing material for larger items in boxes is also not allowed.  Ordering or taking supplies from the post office with the intention of using as packing material is not allowed, and really not ethical. This kind of behavior is what will lead the USPS to start charging for their priority supplies.

Flat Rate boxes and envelopes may not be altered

"Frankensteining" boxes is a common practice and is allowed when using any non-flat rate box. For example, let's say a seller is shipping a lamp. The lamp is too large to fit in any size priority box. Several 8x8x12 boxes can be "telescoped," or fashioned together to make a long tubular box. This process is completely USPS legal.

Just not with flat rate boxes. Why? Because priority mail shipping charges are calculated using weight. Flat rate prices have already been calculated for that specific size box. Same situation with the padded and cardboard flat rate mailers. The item must fit inside completely and the mailers must close on its own without extra tape. 

Priority Mail Boxes Can Not be Covered in Paper 

Another big no-no. In fact, covering a box in paper is not a good idea at all because the paper can get caught in the processing machines and ripped off. The package then goes to the undeliverable package graveyard and can't be returned to the seller or delivered to the buyer because there is no information on the package. As for priority supplies, covering them in paper is a blatant attempt to circumvent paying the fees for priority mail.

Don't do it.

Fines and unhappy customers are the results of shoddy shipping practices

The USPS can fine customers who misuse priority mail supplies. This is clearly stated in the disclaimer on the supplies. Ok, so maybe you won't get caught when your improperly packaged item is dropped in the mail or picked up by the mail carrier, but the buyer might pay the price. When priority mail supplies are misused, the item can be delivered to the customer with postage due. The buyer will receive a notice to pick up the package at their post office, and they will be charged a fee for the upgraded postage to priority. So by taking this tacky shortcut, sellers are inconveniencing buyers with a trip to the post office and requiring the buyer to pay extra to get his item. A great way to get a negative feedback and low DSRs on your eBay account. 

Bottom line - get the supplies you need ahead of time when selling on eBay. Figure out what supplies are needed when listing the item, and either order them online or go to WalMart and buy them. Being prepared is a huge part of being a successful entrepreneur. 

This just seems like an opinion piece to me.  I would NOT take any of this as gospel, as this comes from a random blogger with no actual association with the USPS and no references to official or documented USPS policies.

The part stating "This kind of behavior is what will lead the USPS to start charging for their priority supplies." is all just speculation on her part.  (Speculation that I completely disagree with!)

Based on @Logan510's initial post, we're discussing the legality of using these USPS supplied boxes for double boxing shipments.  I'm no lawyer, but I speculate that in a court of law, based on the verbiage found on the boxes themselves, that the manner in which the comic was shipped would technically be completely legal.

"This packaging is the property of the U.S. Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority Mail shipments.  Misuse may be a violation of federal law.  This packaging is not for resale."

As long as the boxes were not resold, and as long as they were shipped via the Priority Mail service, this fits the definition set forth on the packaging material itself.  No where does it state the manner in which the box must be sent using Priority Mail, only that it must be sent using Priority Mail.

8 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I've been having an interesting conversation going back and forth on eBay with a buyer who accused me of "stealing from the government" and of "being a thief" because I use the method of placing a 1092 box into a 1095 priority box for protection. I ship using Priority service, so I'm not like those sellers who cut up priority boxes to use as packing when they ship First Class or Media Mail.

Am I doing something against the USPS regulations? It seems if I'm using their free boxes to ship using the service they require for those boxes I should be OK, right?

I haven't read the entire thread. It's already up to 4 pages and the entire premise that you somehow stole by double boxing to assure that the item would get to your buyer with an added measure of safety is insane. I hope that somewhere within the pages of this thread, you posted the Ebay handle of this nut so ebay sellers here will have the option to block his bids so as to not have to deal with his nonsense.

By the way, the unauthorized use of USPS materials, that is, using their materials for mailing other than through USPS is what USPS is referring to as being discouraged. Not using USPS materials to post packages through USPS. .

Edited by James J Johnson
typo

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I haven't read the entire thread. It's already up to 4 pages and the entire premise that you somehow stole by double boxing to assure that the item would get to your buyer with an added measure of safety is insane. it's like if you saved someone's life with a firearm and then the person you saved ratted you out to the police. I hope that somewhere within the pages of this thread, you posted the Ebay handle of this nut so we can all have the option to block his bids so we won't have to deal with his nonsense.

By the way, the unauthorized use of USPS materials, that is, using their materials for mailing other than through USPS is what USPS is referring to as being discouraged. Not using USPS materials to post packages through USPS. .

I once stopped a car to ask for direction and after the lady kindly explained to me how to get to my destination I honked my horn at her continuously to move her a*s cause she's blocking the traffic

I actually had a postal worker suggest this very packing play to me once. I went in with a packed priority box, but it was stuffed to the gills and I was uncomfortable shipping it. So I went in to buy one of the bigger non-priority boxes, re-pack on site, and send. The guy behind the counter said "This box will fit as is in the next size up. Here just address it, and we'll insert your box and seal the whole thing up." 

Go figure (shrug)

Maybe I was set up in a sting! :idea:

4 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I like that, thanks!

Is your feedback more than 10? Then don't sweat it. Seriously, who takes the time to read through that stuff anyway? Don't let your personal feelings cause you to draw this out any longer -- my policy is to get away from people like this as quickly and cleanly as possible.