• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

Greetings from Kokonino

Published by: self published; Contributor: George Erling; Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 12 pages;

Size: mini (4.25 x 4.5); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: one printing; 39 signed and numbered copies;

I believe that groaned before on this thread about how hard some of Erling's books are to find and collect - see page 6 (Too Many Mickeez) and page 11 (Pencil Comix #1 and #2) of this thread. But I would have never predicted that I would be able to land a small run, Erling mini that was not identified by the Kennedy Guide.

k1.PNGk2.PNGk3.PNG

k4.PNGk5.PNGk6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Crazy Duck

Published by: Lava Press; Contributor: Lari Davidson; Vaughn Fraser; Jeffery Jorna; Date: 1980; Price: one dollar; Page Count: 32 pages;

Size: small comic; (6.75 x 8.5); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: produced in Canada otherwise unknown;

The very first time that I saw the cover of Crazy Duck, I immediately knew that I had to find a copy. It's not great art but something about the cover cracks me up every time.

c1.PNGc2.PNGc3.PNG

c4.PNGc5.PNGc6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

How to Throw a Small Bowl

Publisher: Tin Man Studios, Date of Publication: 1976, Place of Publication: Brooklyn, Wisconsin, Cover Price: $0.50, Dimensions: 5-1/2" x 4-1/8", Page Count: 28, Print Run: unknown, Contributor(s): Robert Cavey

Note(s): Jay Kennedy mistakenly listed this as "How to Throw a Small Clay Bowl" in his guide.

how-to-throw-a-small-bowl-01-01.thumb.jpg.005327c22c8d7ae2a8023be4d7e9a1d1.jpghow-to-throw-a-small-bowl-01-28.thumb.jpg.39fea66c81af01254ef5e67c60ccc3a8.jpg

Edited by comixbible

Industrial Toilet Paper (#1-3)

Published by: self published by Jaime "Bill Shut" Alder; Contributors: Jamie Alder (#1-3); Michael Roden (#1-3); Kelly Alder (#1-2); Jim Siergey (#1-2); Mike Hill (#1-2); David Stanford (#1-2); Brad Foster (#1-2); Clifford K. Neal (#1); Dale Lee Coovert (#1); Artie Edward Romero (#1); Tom Brinkmann (#1); Chris Estey (#1); Roldo (#1); Mel Tearle (#1); Ed Dorn (#1); Curt Metz (#1); Walter Rodgers (#1); Douglas Bryson (#1); Jeff Curtis (#1); Marc Meyers (#1); Bruce Chrislip (#1); Blake Alder (#1); Jim Valentino (#2); William Strejc (#2); Steven F. Scharff (#2); David Miller (#2); Rick McCollum (#2); Joe Zabel (#2); Frodo (#2); Ajax Axel (3#); Marsh (#3); Tim Corrigan (#3); Mike Urban (#3); Bob "X" Moriarty (#3); Steve Willis (#3); Larry Weir (#3);;

Date: 1982 (#1-2); 1989 (#3); Price: $2.25 (#1); ncp (#2); $1 (#3); Page Count: 48 pages (#1); 20 pages (#2-3); Size: digest; (5.5 x 8.5); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: unknown;

Probably the last hurrah for the Jaime Alder lead, newave-zine comic series, but what a closer. My favourite part (Valentino's cover art for issue #2 is a close second) from all three issues does not involve any artwork. Clifford Neal submitted (what was then) his current resume along with artwork to Jaime Alder for issue #1. It supports the theory the weird ones are also the smart ones - Masters in Engineering from Cornell.

i1.PNGi2.PNGi3.PNG

i4.PNGi5.PNGi6.PNG

i7.PNGi8.PNGi9.PNG

i10.PNGi11.PNGi12.PNG

i13.PNGi14.PNGi15.PNG

i16.PNGi17.PNGi18.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Orange Bode

Published by: Chimneysweep Nostalgia Company; Contributors: Bob Coughlin; Vaughn Bode; Date: 1978; Price: seven dollars; Page Count: 164 pages;

Size: comic; (6.75 x 8.5); Kennedy #: 1461; Print information: unknown;

A fairly rare "catalog"  that reprints Vaughn Bode's work from Syracuse university's Daily Orange newspaper. The premise presented by the creator was to drum up interest for up-coming auction (1979) of Vaughn Bode items. The back cover outlines all four items offered in the mail auction. I wonder if the real intent was to reprint (maybe without permission or compensation) over 160 pages of Bode's work and sell copies of the "catalog" at $7 per unit to interested fans. If it did not bother Bode then it it does not bother me.

o1.PNGo2.PNGo3.PNG

o4.PNGo5.PNGo6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

On 12/4/2019 at 2:39 PM, CDNComix said:

Greetings from Kokonino

Published by: self published; Contributor: George Erling; Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 12 pages;

Size: mini (4.25 x 4.5); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: one printing; 39 signed and numbered copies;

I believe that groaned before on this thread about how hard some of Erling's books are to find and collect - see page 6 (Too Many Mickeez) and page 11 (Pencil Comix #1 and #2) of this thread. But I would have never predicted that I would be able to land a small run, Erling mini that was not identified by the Kennedy Guide.

k1.PNGk2.PNGk3.PNG

k4.PNGk5.PNGk6.PNG

What was this made for? Given out to friends? Sold at his favorite head shop? Just curious. 

13 hours ago, CDNComix said:

Orange Bode

Published by: Chimneysweep Nostalgia Company; Contributors: Bob Coughlin; Vaughn Bode; Date: 1978; Price: seven dollars; Page Count: 164 pages;

Size: comic; (6.75 x 8.5); Kennedy #: 1461; Print information: unknown;

A fairly rare "catalog"  that reprints Vaughn Bode's work from Syracuse university's Daily Orange newspaper. The premise presented by the creator was to drum up interest for up-coming auction (1979) of Vaughn Bode items. The back cover outlines all four items offered in the mail auction. I wonder if the real intent was to reprint (maybe without permission or compensation) over 160 pages of Bode's work and sell copies of the "catalog" at $7 per unit to interested fans. If it did not bother Bode then it it does not bother me.

o1.PNGo2.PNGo3.PNG

o4.PNGo5.PNGo6.PNG

Vaughn Bode was dead by 1978, so maybe that's why he didn't raise a stink?

On 11/15/2019 at 12:44 PM, CDNComix said:

A Fun Day at Pick-n-Pay

Published by: unknown; Contributors: Bob Vojtko; Date: 1976; Price: store giveaway; Page Count: 16 pages;

Size: magazine (8.25 x 10.5); Kennedy #: not cited; Print information: one printing; number of copiesunknown;

A peripheral item documenting a busy period in the life of newaver Bob Vojtko. Any one who has read Bob Vojko's minis are probably also aware that he was employed by the Pick-n-Pay grocery store. I contacted Bob Vojtko and this is what he has to say:

"I was working at the Pick-N-Pay grocery store at around 1975 when I started there. PNP at the time had around 60 stores in Northern Ohio area. I was working at the store in Lorain, Ohio as a stock clerk. PNP knew that I drew cartoons and they published a few in their in-house newsletters. Their advertising department contacted me about doing a coloring book about PNP for all their stores that each store would have a Santa Claus and pass out a coloring book to kids at Christmas in 1976. As far as numbers go, I never knew. I drew the book up and gave it to the main office and they took it from there. I did get paid for doing it, but I can't remember how much I paid. I was hoping it would lead to other things. But I only had the 15 minutes of fame. I ended up working full time in the grocery business for 42 years until I retired in 2017."

I was lucky to have purchased a copy that had a letter (March 1979) that was composed by "Ms. Vojtko" to someone named "Jim" inserted in to it. The letter explains how busy Vojtko was during this period - working full at the supermarket until the evening and then working on his "gag cartooning" for some upcoming publications.

f1.PNGf2.PNGf3.PNG

f4.PNG

That is an interesting array of potential venues for his work ... Hustler/Sex to Sexty  vs. Good Houseekeeping and "mommy taking kid shopping" coloring book. The guy had a dream, had some stuff published, but I guess it was never enough to get out of the grocery store.

Edit:

Actually, looking on the internet he pubished a lot of stuff. I just guess it never got past the point of "side hustle" big enough to get him out of the grocery store. Who knows, he probably got bumped up to manager and was making too much $ to quit.. someone is trying to sell the coloring book on ebay for $49.99!.

Edited by the blob

The Black Carrot

Publisher: Dolphin-Moon Press, Date of Publication: Fall 1983, Place of Publication: Maryland, Cover Price: $1.00, Dimensions: 7-1/8" x 11", Page Count: 4, Print Run: unknown, Contributor(s): Nick W. Aumiller, Margot Insley

Note(s): Rubber stamp element on front cover. Unfolds into poster.

black-carrot-01-01.thumb.jpg.1775427c0ec90f2519ce11d7e5610e78.jpgblack-carrot-01-04.thumb.jpg.6af9753eaa383c449923fff8bf50d21f.jpg

Thanks for the interest from the Blob who asked a number of questions/made comments on four separate posts.

1) Greetings from Kokonino: What was this made for? Given out to friends? Sold at his favorite head shop? Just curious.

I have never contacted George Erling, so you would have to ask him for the answer. But I can take a guess and would say that his minis with the puny runs of under 40 copies were just made for creative sake and then given away to friends and other artists. I have asked that exact same question (were these made to sell or to be given away) from other creators with tiny print runs. Most reply that they realized at the time that there was no commercial potential with producing larger runs and seeking the item in a shop. These were produced out of creative need in an amount that would cover the sharing aspect.

But also be aware that Erling did produce a few minis/digests that had normal newave runs of around 500 copies that were intended to be sold either in a store or through the mail.

2) Orange Bode: Vaughn Bode was dead by 1978, so maybe that's why he didn't raise a stink?

I thought the exact same thing just after I posted and was going to look-up his date-of-death, but forgot. Yes, I would agree. But to be fair I did not perform any due diligence and research the person (Bob Coughlin) behind Orange Bode to see if he knew Bode or someone from his estate. It's just my opinion that it's weird to produce a 160 page reprint publication under the justification of producing a catalog for a 4 item mail auction. To be fair even at a price of $7 (1978) per book, I do not see the potential for a large profit after paying to produce a 160 pager.

3) A Fun Day at the Pick N Pay: The guy had a dream, had some stuff published, but I guess it was never enough to get out of the grocery store.

Yes, most never made in big or were able to earn anything resembling a living. It's like any art form (acting, music etc) or athletics, where many are driven to pursue their passion but very few succeed professionally.  But that's the thrust behind the newave movement - self-publish to get your message out there.

4) Cartoon Lunacy #98: Only 25 copies? Do they just print one for each contributor?

Yes, most APAs have tiny runs and were produced just for a single event like a convention or to be shared among the contributors. 

Edited by CDNComix

55 minutes ago, comixbible said:

The Black Carrot

Publisher: Dolphin-Moon Press, Date of Publication: Fall 1983, Place of Publication: Maryland, Cover Price: $1.00, Dimensions: 7-1/8" x 11", Page Count: 4, Print Run: unknown, Contributor(s): Nick W. Aumiller, Margot Insley

Thanks comixbible.

I must admit that the name of the publisher "Dolphin-Moon" and one of the contributors "Aumiller" rang as being familiar. I must admit that I could not recall from memory but had to resort to keywording my collection list. The same publisher was also responsible for "Guest Check Comix" which also included Aumiller .

Adventures in Pathology

Published by: self published; Contributor: Tom Hosier; Date: 1978; Price: 75 cents; Page Count: 16 pages;

Size: landscape digest (4.25 x 11.0); Kennedy #: 20Print information: one printing; number of copies unknown;

Last week, a friend and I were discussing Tom Hosier and some of his ealry work. We were going to contact him to get some information about another one of his publications, but sadly found out that he died a few years ago. Adventures in Pathology a photo-collage story overlaid with captions and artwork. Interesting but not my favourite example of his work, but I believe it to be the only all Tom Hosier publication.

a1.PNGa2.PNG

a3.PNGa4.PNG

a5.PNGa6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Terra-Luna Tabloid #1

Published by: self published; Contributor: Paul Karol; Date: 1977; Price: 35 cents; Page Count: 12 pages;

Size: newspaper (11.5 x 17.5; Kennedy #: 1988; Print information: one printing; 5,000 of 10,000 copies destroyed by flood;

Why bother with self-publishing a couple of hundred minis for $20, when you could instead have 10,000 tabloid copies professionally printed for at least over $1000 (not adjusted for inflation). If things do not work out sales wise, then at least collectors of the future like me will thank you for it. Thanks Paul.

t1.PNGt2.PNGt3.PNG

t4.PNGt5.PNGt6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Spaz Comix #1 and #2

Published by: self published; Contributor: Chaz Balun; Jack Lewis; Grant Belotti; Date: 1975; 1977; Price: no cover price; $7.95; Page Count: 12 pages;

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5); Kennedy #: 1871-1872; Print information: one printing; 200 copies;

Chas Balun produced a handful of great minis: Mr Hostile (page 14 of this thread), the Mighty Spaz series and Spaz Comix. I only recently found out (since i never owned a copy) that Balun was also a contributor to a well known, non-underground series, Gore Shriek.

s1.PNGs2.PNGs3.PNG

s4.PNGs5.PNGs6.PNG

s7.PNGs8.PNGs9.PNG

s10.PNGs11.PNGs12.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Comix World 1980 Mini-Catalog

Published by: self published; Contributor: unknown; Date: free; Price: catalogue giveaway; $7.95; Page Count: 8 pages;

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5); Kennedy #: not citedPrint information: unknown;

I have a few reasons for listing this, including:

1) I never realized that Comix World had ever issued a catalogue. It's considerably rarer than the vast majority of CW titles;

2) the second page lists 10 reasons why people should get excited about CW minis. Sort of supports some of the answers I give "the Blob" earlier in the page regarding why low run, small press comix were produced by the artists;

3) to tease/annoy a fellow collector who had very recently made some slightly critical comments regarding some of the CW titles.

c1.PNGc2.PNG

c3.PNGc4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Amra-Arma Meets the Lurker Within!

Published by: Amra Arma; Contributor: Jeff Karl; Kurt Bischoff; Date: 1974; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 36 pages;

Size: comic (6.75 x 8.75); Kennedy #: 68Print information: one printing; number of copies is unknown;

A beautiful giveaway produced by the 70s experimental rock band, Amra Arma. I had mentioned very early within this thread that there are only one or two examples of full-colour mini comix. This book is the only example of a full colour, full sized, underground comic that comes to mind. Although it's on the rare side, collectors still can take comfort from how well the book was produced (quality heavy acid free stock) and the increased likelihood of encountering high grade examples for sale.

a1.PNGa2.PNGa3.PNG

a4.PNGa5.PNGa6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Self Destruct (hand coloured cover "edition")

Published by: San Francisco Comic Book Company; Contributors: Art Spiegelman; Bill Griffith; Date: 1973; Price: 7 cents; Page Count: 8 pages;

Size: mini (4.5 x 5.5); Kennedy #: 1760; Print information: one printing; copies unknown;

This is the first SFCC/Gary Arlington "7 cent" mini that I have posted on in this thread. I may not be the first one ever produced; or the most popular one; or even the best one, but it does seem to one of the rarer ones within the series for whatever reason. I have noticed maybe only two copies offered for sale within the past 5 years. The copy that I have posted was hand coloured by Art Spiegelman in presentation to Bill Griffith.

s1.PNGs2.PNG

s3.PNGs4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix