• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, CDNComix said:

That (Collected Trash Comix) is a beauty and thank you for sharing. Kennedy did list an ultra-rare title called "Trash Comix - Revolutionary Comix for Today's Revolutionary". But your book is a different publication and it's new to me. Very cool.

Thank you! I am glad this is of interest. 

So more details: I bought it new back in 1979 and forgot about it till repacking my collection into boxes recently. When I saw this again and tried to open it as usual, I was surprised to see that it unfolded instead. So it was printed on a large sheet that then was folded to ~11.5" x 8". There was no insert.

Further information:

"The Collected Trash Comix Tabloid" First Printing. Vol 1 #1

"copyright I. Eddy 1979"

"Printed by Newsprinters Ltd Sheparaton" (sic) I think there is another spelling mistake there ;-)

29 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Thank you! I am glad this is of interest. 

So more details: I bought it new back in 1979 and forgot about it till repacking my collection into boxes recently. When I saw this again and tried to open it as usual, I was surprised to see that it unfolded instead. So it was printed on a large sheet that then was folded to ~11.5" x 8". There was no insert.

Further information:

"The Collected Trash Comix Tabloid" First Printing. Vol 1 #1

"copyright I. Eddy 1979"

"Printed by Newsprinters Ltd Sheparaton" (sic) I think there is another spelling mistake there ;-)

Ah, of course: Ian Eddy! I didn't realize this was an Australian comic until now, but it makes sense. I'm a fan of Ian's work. The style looked familiar to me, and now I know why.

2 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Glad you know about him - I hadn't.

Here is another rare one. It's not as rare as the Trash Comix - this one has a massive 4 google entries (though 2 are @ comicvine). One is to a sale last year of a copy with asking price $400(!).

Atomic Horror Comic is nice! I have a couple of copies of that one, actually. I paid a fraction of a fraction of that asking price. Some of these sellers are VERY ambitious!

Haha! "Tell him he's dreaming!"

If you haven't already seen it, watch the '90s Australian movie called "The Castle". It has a lot of endearing Aussie humour, that line from which was in relation to someone wanting too high a price for an advertised item.

Breaking Up Your Guide to Painful Separation

Published by: self published; Contributor: Lynda J. Barry; Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 22 pages that includes 2 transparent red covers; 2 pink cover pages; 18 single sided comic pages;

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0); transparent covers slightly larger; Kennedy #: 346; Print information: one printing; number of copies unknown;

On page 9 of this thread, I posted a title called Tales From the Steam Tunnel which is an anthology of student work from Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington. Many comic notables attended this school including: Steve Willis, Charles Burns, Matt Groening, Tucker Petertil, Craig Bartlett and of course Lynda J. Barry.

I joke within the post that there must have been something special in the school’s water supply at that time for it to produce so many success stories. And based upon Lynda’s later publishing career/minor empire, she must have drank more than her fair share of the water.

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Hello!

Long time reader of the thread, maybe first or second time poster.....

My used bookstore has a low grade copy of.... drum roll

Cheech Wizard...... schizophrenia.... $1.00 price, which I believe is 2nd print

it would only cost me $1, but am curious if it is "worth picking up" or just tor rescue, or is it a "thing" lol @CDNComix @Albert Thurgood

Bode´ was really out there - even for the '70s. And I am talking about his behaviour, not necessarily his art or stories. I am pretty broadminded, but what he was doing was very weird.

image.png.bf82d39bc667b8ccf09826b8e772344e.png

(apologies for my bad photo skills).

Anyway, this issue is "schizophrenic" as each page tells two stories, drawn in different styles. The top half is Cheech Wizard; the bottom half has a story of Bode´ where he is (appropriately) on another planet.

Cheech wizard is not very uplifting and the humour is too slapstick for my taste. But the art on both stories is good, and if it is only going to cost you $1, you can't get much better value for $1 these days. And it is interesting to see the alternative art styles that were available in the undergrounds those days. 

19 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hello!

Long time reader of the thread, maybe first or second time poster.....

My used bookstore has a low grade copy of.... drum roll

Cheech Wizard...... schizophrenia.... $1.00 price, which I believe is 2nd print

it would only cost me $1, but am curious if it is "worth picking up" or just tor rescue, or is it a "thing" lol @CDNComix @Albert Thurgood

If you do not own a copy then my recommendation is to buy it! How can you wrong for a dollar?

Dead Spawn #1-4

Published by: Joseph Treacy; Contributors: Joseph Treacy (#1-4); Pablo Marcos (#1); David Anthony Kraft (#1); Rich Buckler (#1); Jim Craig (#1); Greg Spagnola (#1-2); Mark A. Batdorf (#1);; E. J. Pace (#1); David Kirby (#1); Jimmy Traylor (#1): Ed Vance (#1); Randy McClennan (#1-2); Marc Hempel (#2-3); Doug Hansen (#2-4); Joe Sinardi (#2); Conway Perez (#2); Ron Wilbur (#2 and #4); A. B. Clingan (#2); Len Lisiewicz (#3); C.C Clingan (#3); Gene Day (#3-4); Greg Bear (#3); Serena Fusek (#3); Eric Kimball (#3); Russ Martin (#3); Randall Larson (#3); Robert Rodriguez (#4); Laurence Bartone (#4); John Findley (#4); Richard Pini (#4); Wendy Pini (#4); Janet Fox (#4); Rudy Nebres (#4); Trina Robbins (#4); Stephanie Sterns (#4); Bruce Weinstock (#4); Chuch Fala (#4) and Rick Geary (#4).

Date: 1975; 1976; 1980; 1982; Price: one dollar; ncp; ncp; $7.95; Page Count: 20 pages excluding 2 pages of ad inserts; 30 pages; cardboard holding box/sleeve with 9 booklets; cardboard holding box/sleeve with 10 booklets; Size: #1-2: magazine (7.5 x 11.0); #3: comic (7.25 x 9.5); #4: comic (7.0 x 8.5); Kennedy #: ground level # 58-60; #4 not cited due to its later publication date; Print information: one printing; #1 (500 copies); #2 (1000 copies); #3 (1500 copies) and #4 (unknown).

Listed by Kennedy in the ground level section of his guide, Dead Spawn is a four issue prozine that was published over the span of six years. The first issue started as a typical zine that mainly contained articles and information related to "alternative" comics punctuated by the occasional amateur illustration. The second issue was published a decent amount of comic content.

DS1.PNG

But it is the last two issues that are special and would perhaps tempt a non-zine collector into purchasing them. Dead Spawn #3 and #4 adopted a box holder form that contained comic related booklets created by some underground notables, including Doug Hansen, Trina Robbins and Rick Geary. Hansen's comic with a view through its pop-up is featured in the last image.

DS2.PNG

DS4.PNG

DS5.PNG

DS6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

9 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Here is another obscure underground comic from the '70s. 

This one comes to us from Scotland.

image.png.b8b6db19fc257658e3f037b5ee6128e4.png

It had, inter alia, a nicely drawn story by Bryan Talbot that supposed the world had not endured the World Wars and modern-day England still had Victorian era fashions:

image.png.cce6cb793a0aa2151ea5928f2f5402df.png

A bit more info like @CDNComixprovides:

Published by: Galaxy Media          Date: Sept 1978       Page Count: 44     Price: 45p  Number of Issues: 5 (I checked MCS but they do not have any)

Issues 2-5 feature some very early Grant Morrison work as well, I believe his first published mainstream work. It's a Gideon Stargrave series which also ties in with The Invisibles. Been looking for higher grade copies, I'll grab nice looking copies when I see them available.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:18 AM, kapzilla said:

Issues 2-5 feature some very early Grant Morrison work as well, I believe his first published mainstream work. It's a Gideon Stargrave series which also ties in with The Invisibles. Been looking for higher grade copies, I'll grab nice looking copies when I see them available.

Thanks Albert T. and kapzilla for the post and the comments on "Near Myths" which does deserve broader attention. It seems that Kennedy intentionally skipped citing comix published outside of North America (US and Canada) and listed only one UK pub within his guide, excluding the two "US" publications he listed that definitely/probably had a start within the UK first.

Does anyone know which purely UK publication is the only one cited by Kennedy?

Answer: After-Dinner Sleights and Pocket Tricks (Kennedy #28), David Walklett. See comments and image posted by "Comixbible".

Does any one know which two publications cited by Kennedy probably were first published in the UK?

Answers:

1) The Pink Floyd (Kennedy #1533). There is a UK and US edition of this publication, but Kennedy only identified the US edition within his guide. Was he aware of the UK edition which could have been published before the US edition (needs conformation).

2) Class War Comix (Kennedy #462), Clifford Harper, 1979, Kitchen Sink. I only found out last year that the fairly common US edition of Class War Comix had an earlier UK tabloid predecessor called New Times Class War (Clifford Harper, 1974, Epic Productions).

If your name rhythms with "Pricktor" then please do not answer.

Edited by CDNComix