• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your beater Holy Grail !

672 posts in this topic

...and nice pickup on that Cap 74 BTW! And you too Elvis, very nice looking Action 23. I have a couple of early GA books like that (sharp cover sitting on a coverless copy w/no back cover)...they display great and are true bargains even compared to Good copies.

Nice Action 18 and 23, guys! Keep 'em coming...

Of course, we all want books that are in high grade, but I don't mind having expensive low (beater) grade books in my collection. In a way, it reminds you how old and fragile these comics are.

Anyone seeking out certain books in beater grade and would buy on sight?

Great thread. The predominant theme on these boards is always high grade rules. I am glad to know that I am not the only poor collector (well, not poor so much as properly prioritized) out there who has to make due...

Paul (or anyone else!), I'm always on the lookout for the following in affordable reader/beater shape...

Action 11-14, 17

Fantastic Comics 1, 3-5, 7-9, 11-14

Catman -- virtually any issue

Superman 2, 3

NY World's Fair 1, 2

Science Comics 1, 2

Weird Comics 1

...and probably others I can't think of right now. Early GA on a budget is tough, but I do love the hunt!

I'm beginning to get interested in collecting GA. I would be love to eventually own a beater/coverless copy of...

All-American #61 (1st Solomon Grundy)

Adventure Comics #40-#47 (Sandman)

Detective #8

Detective #31

More Fun Comics #73 (1st Green Arrow)

Suspense #3

Although, some of those are too expensive even for a coverless copy. confused.gif

Not a "Grail", but certainly a "Better".

ibis1.jpg" width="450

fair/good with tape along the spine.

where the * is that jealousy icon

This is a great thread!! 893applaud-thumb.gif Here's one of my beater Grails , Heavy spine roll , tears, centerfold missing,etc." in Dr. Fung story by Bob Powell." Pages & cover colors are nice. 1st app.of the Flame by Eisner & Fine!!!

scan.jpg

I would buy a beater CAP #74 wink.gif, DETECTIVE #31,33 and BATMAN #1. That's about the only way I'm ever going to be able to afford them.

These are the books I'd love to have in beater condition (and couldn't afford much more): Fantastic Comics #3, Suspense Comics #3, Suspense Comics #4, Eerie Comics #1, Phantom Lady #17.

Nice score on the Cap 74 if it really is unrestored.

I looked at that auction, but I was very wary of the seller. He had no record of comic sales that I could see. Nice job on your part to take the risk and go for it. You got a very good deal if it is G/VG unrestored.

I bought my copy for about half of what you paid for the G/VG.

I just got this in the Heritage auction that ended this past Sunday. This was one of 3 Phantom Lady's that I need and I figured I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on it since I had a Canadian version of it (different cover).

I received it today and am happy with it for the price I paid. Now if I can find a #16 and a #21,

15062035011o.jpg

Phantom Lady #17

Metro has a Fair copy, but it's too beat. The cover image is severely degraded. They used to have a Good- that was beat but intact. I guess they sold it. frown.gif

I just got this in the Heritage auction that ended this past Sunday. This was one of 3 Phantom Lady's that I need and I figured I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on it since I had a Canadian version of it (different cover).

I received it today and am happy with it for the price I paid. Now if I can find a #16 and a #21,

15062035011o.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif