• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 3
5 5

220 posts in this topic

Just now, eddly said:

We should work together then. Tell me your grades in advance then I will tell you what I think when the round is over :wishluck:

Pretty sure this is an individual achievement contest. 2c 

Round three

Batman #100 - 2.5

Batman #200 - 9.0

Decent round for me finally -- man that 200 was so hard to accurately assess. I looked over various CGC samples of the book on ebay and felt it could have landed anywhere between 7.5 and 9.4. I think it has to do with the cover art and the white background. Got lucky with my guess by splitting the range more or less and landing on a 9.0. Really needed that one. The 100 was a little easier to gauge but I felt the cover scuffing and tanning would get a little more downgrade.  Figured it had to be somewher ein the 2-3 range though so went with the same splitting difference theory. 8 points  -- happy with my result for sure.

2 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:
6 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I had 3.0 on the #100, but second-guessed my way to a 2.5. Looked pretty ruff.

So on the #200, it looked like there was a small color-breaking crease or welt on Robin, but I can't see any trace of it in the new photo just posted. I guess it was a scuff on the case or something?  ???

Someone asked clarification on that mark. I couldn’t answer. 

If I notice something on the scans that isn’t there, I’ll do my best to tell everyone right at the very beginning. 

Good eye. I assumed that there was a colour-breaking scrape across Robin's glove from the first scan and it's not there in the second one. 

I did put it at 9.0 thinking the scrape was there - Holy Bat Logic! :ohnoez: 

13 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I had 3.0 on the #100, but second-guessed my way to a 2.5. Looked pretty ruff.

So on the #200, it looked like there was a small color-breaking crease or welt on Robin, but I can't see any trace of it in the new photo just posted. I guess it was a scuff on the case or something?  ???

Bingo.

I couldn't tell if that was a scuff on the book or a scuff on the case.  Had to split my grade between the two. 

8 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

(thumbsu I would have graded the 100 at 2.0  the book is soft, limp, frayed, and really rough 

the 200 drives me nutty. I’ve had 3 similar examples. I felt they were all in the 9.0/9.2 range. 

1 was 7.5, 1 was 9.0, 1 was 9.4

they all looked so close in grade, so it’s a frustrating book in general, I believe. 

Nerd points available- doesn’t help in this contest: (This post of mine is a radar number. What does that mean?) 

same going backwards as going forwards (thumbsu

Just now, Azkaban said:

same going backwards as going forwards (thumbsu

^^ 

my post # was #27772

thats a radar number. A palindrome. Even the word radar can be read forwards and backwards the same way. 

3 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

Good eye. I assumed that there was a colour-breaking scrape across Robin's glove from the first scan and it's not there in the second one. 

I did put it at 9.0 thinking the scrape was there - Holy Bat Logic! :ohnoez: 

2 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Bingo.

I couldn't tell if that was a scuff on the book or a scuff on the case.  Had to split my grade between the two.

(thumbsu  Sounds like you guys played it better than I did. I went 8.0, figuring the crease or whatever was probably a bit longer than the color-breaking area. Ouch!

Ok I have a new strategy-grade book, flip coin.  If coin heads, add 2 full grade points.  I got this.

2 minutes ago, SpideyFein said:

I thought higher on the Bats 200? A couple spine tics? Anything else? 

.5 off on the 100- Close! 

Um all the damage/staining at top and the scrape which turned out to be ON THE CASE.

Oh and the missing ink scrapes on batmans leg.

Edited by kav

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Um all the damage/staining at top and the scrape which turned out to be ON THE CASE.

You are absolutely right. This is why I always kick myself for not submitting grades while on the computer. 

1 minute ago, SpideyFein said:

You are absolutely right. This is why I always kick myself for not submitting grades while on the computer. 

No you are right-if I hadnt seen that s*** I would have guessed 9.0 instead of 7.5

Edited by kav