• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Church Pre-Hero Adventure Comics
1 1

32 posts in this topic

I’m curious as to the location/existence of 2 of the Edgar Church pedigreed Adventure Comics from the pre-hero run. Since 33-36 and 38 & 39 are slabbed and have been sold at Heritage, their existence is easily enough confirmed. That leaves 32 and 37 unaccounted for. The original sale catalog as posted on Mike High Comics’ site lists a 37, but no mention of a 32.

So, my question is this: is there a known Church Adventure 32, and where did the 37 end up? It hasn’t been slabbed, since the highest unrestored in the census is a 5.0. 

18 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Love these books! :luhv:

I've spoken in the past with another boardie about the Church Adventure 37, and we don't know where it is.

Regarding even earlier issues, the Church Adventure 20 was stolen from Harley.

This is the only Church pre-hero Adventure that I own:

NA24Church.jpg

That is a beautiful book!

I love these early Adventure Comics.  Interestingly enough, a 37 just sold on eBay last week.  Hopefully a boardie got it as it didn't go cheap, ended at $5355.  I don't recall seeing one sell before, at least in last few years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/292600666642?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

You state that the highest graded 37 is a 5.0, this copy is raw but looks like it should beat that mark, perhaps a 6.0 or a little better...  Probably not the Church copy, as it doesn't have any notations like the 24 above (which is absolutely stunning, by the way).  But thought I'd throw it out there and see what others think, as I was a bit surprised at the sale price.  

5 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

I’m curious as to the location/existence of 2 of the Edgar Church pedigreed Adventure Comics from the pre-hero run. Since 33-36 and 38 & 39 are slabbed and have been sold at Heritage, their existence is easily enough confirmed. That leaves 32 and 37 unaccounted for. The original sale catalog as posted on Mike High Comics’ site lists a 37, but no mention of a 32.

So, my question is this: is there a known Church Adventure 32, and where did the 37 end up? It hasn’t been slabbed, since the highest unrestored in the census is a 5.0. 

Yes, there is a Church 32.

3 hours ago, mwotka said:

I love these early Adventure Comics.  Interestingly enough, a 37 just sold on eBay last week.  Hopefully a boardie got it as it didn't go cheap, ended at $5355.  I don't recall seeing one sell before, at least in last few years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/292600666642?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

You state that the highest graded 37 is a 5.0, this copy is raw but looks like it should beat that mark, perhaps a 6.0 or a little better...  Probably not the Church copy, as it doesn't have any notations like the 24 above (which is absolutely stunning, by the way).  But thought I'd throw it out there and see what others think, as I was a bit surprised at the sale price.  

I'd much rather have the books in your sig line than any of those pre-hero Adventures...:banana:

Edited by Robot Man

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

Yes, there is a Church 32.

The Oracle! (worship)

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I've spoken in the past with another boardie about the Church Adventure 37, and we don't know where it is.

NA24Church.jpg

One of my absolute favorite covers, comics don't get much better than this.  

21 hours ago, sacentaur said:

NA24Church.jpg

Good Lord,  Steve. What a book to own. That is beautiful!!(worship)  Craig Flessel at his finist.