• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

malpractices by Unknown Comics
1 1

111 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

...throwing shade at fellow boardies...

Better watch out. He might clap back and break the Internet.

27 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
2 hours ago, Dutch74 said:

It is obvious that everything I post on this forum is subject to a series of automatic negative reactions. But I do not care and I am not surprised. After all, I am dealing here mostly with citizens of the USA, a country where facts have become irrelevant and twisting the truth has become a form of art. To those: feel free to doubt what I say and believe what Darren says. Buy comics at Unknown and see What happens.

This may have been relevant to the topic at hand if you presented any facts, rather than a bunch of abstracts... 

Abstracts?  Dare I say, one could interpret those as...twisted truths?  hm

33 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I learned a new phrase this week: "subverted expectations."

And I learned that it is used by hacks who neither respect their source material, nor their audience, to justify vomiting their hackery upon the world, a la "The Last Jedi."

:D

Is there a word to describe bitter, old Star-Wars fans who are upset that they will never be able to recapture the magic they felt as children watching the originals?

3 hours ago, I like pie said:
4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I've done business with Unknown on at least two occasions, and was quite satisfied with the service I received.

Same. Not many but no problems and all the raw books purchased through them have come back 9.8.

They just sent me 10 copies of ASM 800 Sketch everyone of them had large dents couple of weeks back.  I emailed them and they didn't respond. I finally opened a case and had the case open
for over a week and they finally responding telling me they defect was on all the ASM 800 copies.(Untrue maybe all their copies.) So they knew about it ahead of time and still shipped them to me
instead of either cancelling my order or contacting me first.

I think I have ordered from them twice maybe. This is first time I have ever had to file on any online retailer. Terrible service and what's worse is they knowingly shipped
me these books.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

They just send me 10 copies of ASM 800 Sketch everyone of them had large dents. I emailed them and they didn't respond. I finally opened a case and had the case open
for over a week and they finally responding telling me they defect was on all the ASM 800 copies. So they knew about it ahead and time and still shipped them to me

Yeah.  That's no good. Be interesting to see more people's experiences.

1 minute ago, newshane said:
35 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I learned a new phrase this week: "subverted expectations."

And I learned that it is used by hacks who neither respect their source material, nor their audience, to justify vomiting their hackery upon the world, a la "The Last Jedi."

Is there a word to describe bitter, old Star-Wars fans who are upset that they will never be able to recapture the magic they felt as children watching the originals?

hm

Ooo, contentious provocation! I love it! 

Let me respond by asking you a question in return: does the recognition of works that objectively violate time honored, long established rules of storytelling and craftsmanship always result in accusations of "bitterness" from those who lack the skills necessary to differentiate between good art and bad art...?

Bad "art" is bad "art", regardless of the motives of the one who recognizes it as such. I'm not bitter because I recognize that Rob Liefeld makes bad "art." Are you? The Last Jedi is, objectively, bad "art." It violates all sorts of conventions of storytelling, like plot, character development, character motivation, pacing, etc.

You may not be familiar with this, but in the arts, there is a concept that has often been expressed throughout the centuries: if you're going to break the rules, you first must know them inside and out. That's what Mozart did, that's what Beethoven did, that's what Monet did, that's what Picasso (who is a brilliant example!) did, that's what Hemingway did, that's what Steinbeck did, that's what Kurosawa did, and that's what Spielberg did. These men knew the rules, and demonstrated that they knew the rules, before breaking them. And they knew they were breaking them, and why they were breaking them, when they did so.

But hacks either ignore the rules, or don't know them in the first place, and so have no idea why they're breaking the rules of craftsmanship, or even that they are. This leads to illogical, disjointed works that have no lasting impact on anyone, because the people who made them did not have any respect for what makes great art....or, for that matter, even passably entertaining art. The result is a hodgepodge mess of junk that makes no sense, and is little more than a vehicle for advancing the personal ideologies of the "creators" involved. In other words: propaganda.

And no...very little propaganda has ever survived as great works of art. Maybe...MAYBE...Prokofiev and Shostakovich, who, while producing propaganda for the Soviets, still managed to create masterworks. 

If I want to "recapture the magic I felt as a child", I simply watch those movies again. Piece of cake. 

And old...? Since when is 46 "old"...?

(thumbsu

Everyone has a bad day, but I have received multiple 9.8 copies of books. I know they were 9.8, because I bought them raw, sent them in, graded them, 9.8. I enjoy working with them. I'm sorry this was a bad experience for the original poster.

Speaking of Picasso and knowing the rules before breaking them, consider this:

9.jpg

It is a masterpiece of light, color, form, and anatomy. There are some slight errors in it...for example, the chair is out of proportion with the girl kneeling on it and the man standing next to it...but Picasso obviously knew the rules before breaking them and becoming the surrealist master that he was. And he painted this when he was 15!

18 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You may not be familiar with this...

There is that condescending tone we all love!

There are plenty of enjoyable films that break all of the rules you listed. Same with books.

Yes, TLJ was a bad film from a critical standpoint, but I found it to be an enjoyable popcorn movie. Not everything should be taken so seriously.

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Speaking of Picasso and knowing the rules before breaking them, consider this:

9.jpg

It is a masterpiece of light, color, form, and anatomy. There are some slight errors in it...for example, the chair is out of proportion with the girl kneeling on it and the man standing next to it...but Picasso obviously knew the rules before breaking them and becoming the surrealist master that he was. And he painted this when he was 15!

If you expect everything in life to match Picasso, Shakespeare, Beethoven, etc...then you are bound for disappointment.

Edited by newshane

33 minutes ago, I like pie said:
36 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

They just send me 10 copies of ASM 800 Sketch everyone of them had large dents. I emailed them and they didn't respond. I finally opened a case and had the case open
for over a week and they finally responding telling me they defect was on all the ASM 800 copies. So they knew about it ahead and time and still shipped them to me

Yeah.  That's no good. Be interesting to see more people's experiences.

Yeah I've never quite had an experience like this with any online retailer. I am sure I am not the only one I just was pointed to this thread after warning some other boardies
to avoid them due to their customer service issues like above. I still couldn't believe they knew about the defect and still shipped them to me. 

Just now, newshane said:

There is that condescending tone we all love!

But of course! You start condescending ("bitter, old"), and you ought not be surprised when you get condescending in return. That has ever been the case...but the condescenders don't want to admit their condescension, and act shocked....SHOCKED, I say!....when they get a spoonful in return.

Who is "we"...? Do you have more than one person floating around in your cerebellum...?

hm

2 minutes ago, newshane said:

There are plenty of enjoyable films that break all of the rules you listed. Same with books.

Name one. And explain how.

If you can.

3 minutes ago, newshane said:

Yes, TLJ was a bad film from a critical standpoint, but I found it to be an enjoyable popcorn movie. Not everything should be taken so seriously.

Agreed...which is why one ought not be calling people bitter and old sans provocation, non...?

1 minute ago, newshane said:

If you expect everything in life to match Picasso, Shakespeare, Beethoven, etc...then you are bound for disappointment.

Heaven's no. That's why they are who they are, and that is why their work has lasted. There's more than enough from the masters to enjoy in several lifetimes.

Poor Cicero...he only had Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates to draw from...no slouches, mind you, but what Cicero could have done with Shakespeare boggles the mind...

:ohnoez:

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

But of course! You start condescending ("bitter, old"), and you ought not be surprised when you get condescending in return. That has ever been the case...but the condescenders don't want to admit their condescension, and act shocked....SHOCKED, I say!....when they get a spoonful in return.

Who is "we"...? Do you have more than one person floating around in your cerebellum...?

hm

Name one. And explain how.

If you can.

Agreed...which is why one ought not be calling people bitter and old sans provocation, non...?

Krull. Because it's awesome.

hm

This is quite possible.

but the condescenders don't want to admit their condescension, and act shocked....SHOCKED, I say!....when they get a spoonful in return.

Sorry. I am not shocked.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sorry I hurt your feelings you bitter old man! :P