• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atomic Age Mid Summer Madness -- Baker, LB Cole Pedigrees etc.
5 5

123 posts in this topic

First   :takeit: in the thread or PM gets the book.
No reserving or taking until after I post the scan and price of a comic.
Enticing offers will be accepted.  
An offer to the seller does not put a book on hold and I don't usually respond to offers while I'm posting in the thread.  If someone else takes it at the stated price or makes a better offer before the first offer is accepted then the seller is free to accept the second offer.

Shipping
USA:  USPS Priority Mail insured $18 for one slabbed book and $10 for one raw book.  Save on shipping by purchasing more than one.
International:  I will estimate shipping based on USPS international rates.  Note that some countries' shipping accords will prevent books from being shipped insured.

Payment
Check or money order is okay but check must clear before shipping.
Paypal is okay for purchases of less than $1k.
Time payments will be considered.

Limitations
No Probies, Shamers or Bronies.

Returns are allowed on all books but notify me within 72 hours of receipt of your intent to return and ship books back within 1 week of receipt.  Buyer pays for return shipping and books must be in same condition as they were received.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by adamstrange

Pictorial Romances 7.  On mutual agreement with the buyer, this book is not sold and is no longer sale.  I am keeping the book.

PictorialRomance7.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Young King Cole v3 #7 D Copy.  LB Cole is known for his poster style images that make for eye-catching comic book covers but I think that much of the appeal lies in his talent for color design.  This D copy has great color preservation making it easy to appreciate the exciting scene.

Census:  Sole second highest graded copy with only 3 copies graded ever.  This de-slabbed CGC 9.0 ow/w is $900

CGC Label will be shipped with the comic.

YoungKingColev3_7.jpg

YoungKingColev3_7bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Rangers 68 Cosmic Aeroplane.  With the advent of the Korea War, Fiction House switched the focus of Rangers from Firehair back to the US Army Rangers.  This Cosmic Aero copy has fresh colors and pages and includes a number of the little check marks that are expected with this pedigree.  The collection was that of an art teacher who highlighted important/engaging panels (especially those with attractive women) with a pencil checkmark.  Shown below is an example of

Census:  One in 9.0.  This raw 8.0 is $200.

Rangers68.jpg

Rangers68bk.jpg

Rangers68p2.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Just now, adamstrange said:

Rangers 68 Cosmic Aeroplane.  With the advent of the Korea War, Fiction House switched the focus of Rangers from Firehair back to the US Army Rangers.  This Cosmic Aero copy has fresh colors and pages and includes a number of the little check marks that are expected with this pedigree.  The collection was that of an art teacher who highlighted important/engaging panels (especially those with attractive women) with a pencil checkmark.  Shown below is an example of

Census:  One in 9.0.  This raw 8.0 is $200.

Rangers68.jpg

Rangers68bk.jpg

Rangers68p2.jpg

take

Classic Comics 12.  This early horror cover, adapted from Irving's classic Headless Horseman story, also supplies a horror back cover that previews their next issue.  This is not a pedigree but the background colors are bright and pretty and the pages excellent.

Census:  Tied for highest with another 9.4.  This CGC 9.4 with ow/w pages is $1500.

ClassicComics12cgc.jpg

ClassicComics12cgcbk.jpg

13 minutes ago, Comcav said:

take

Thanks for taking the Rangers 68!

Adventures Into the Unknown 9 Northford.  These early ACGs from the first continuing horror title are actually pretty good reading with their 52 pages of original horror stories.  The cover is by Edvard Moritz whose career as cover artist was brief and, so far as I can tell, restricted to AGC.  That's sad as I quite like his work.  This dramatic scene grows more appealing the longer I look at it.

Census:  One in 9.6 and then two in  8.5.  This raw copy is a 9.0 due to tanning at the edges.  Cover inks are nicely reflective as would be expected of a North.  Yours for $900.

AdvIntoUnk9nford.jpg

AdvIntoUnk9nfordbk.jpg

Miss America 84 Circle 8.  Never one to miss a trend, they turned this title into "Patsy Walker in Miss America" so that they would have an entrant in the teen-ager/young romance market.  The cover artist, Al Hartley, signed his name as "Vivid Hartly" for reasons that escape me.

Census:  only one copy certified a 9.0.  This raw copy 8.0 with ow/w pages is $400.

Note:  I bought this back in the 90s.  I know it is a Circle 8 but I can't be certain that CGC would certify it as such.  Update:  A helpful Boardie let me know that CGC no longer recognizes the pedigree, which is a shame as there are many beautiful C8 books.

MissAmerica84.jpg

MissAmerica84bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Jimmy Wakely 10.  One of the highlights of my time collecting comics was an extended dinner with Julie Schwartz and friends.  At some point the conversation drifted to the most challenging assignment he had and he said it was this title.  Whitney Ellsworth went to Hollywood to line up licenses and came back with this singing cowboy "that was sure to be a star."  Ever a trooper, Julie took it and deployed his ace artist Alex Toth.  It took me a while to post this because I had to read it again as Toth drew 3 stories (27 pages total).

When I originally purchased the book the dealer asked if it was a pedigree because it was so nice.  However, the pencil "c" distributor mark with that particular shape is not associated with any known pedigree. 

Census: Two copies, one in 8.5 and one in 8.0.  The colors are lovely and the pages are ow/w and this raw 9.2 is $300.

JimmyWakely10.jpg

JimmyWakely10bk.jpg

I think that will be it for tonight but probably more tomorrow.

17 hours ago, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

Pictorial Romances 7.  Two Baker lovelies are featured on this delightful cover that is a favorite of many.  The interior is full of Baker art, including some superb scenes in the cover story (see panels below).  

Census:  two in 8.0.  This is a raw sharp looking 8.5 with off-white pages for $5000.

PictorialRomance7.jpg

Sold via PM

***SOLD***

Blazing West #1:   Lots of stories, several handsomely drawn, and a gruesome and iconic cover scene make for a very solid Western.

Census:  This copy is tied for second highest with one other.  This de-slabbed old label CGC 9.0 off-white is $250.

The original label will be shipped with the comic.

BlazingWest1.jpg

BlazingWest1bk.jpg

BlazingWest1p1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

***SOLD***

Web of Mystery #6, Northford:  If you like creepy old witch covers, which is likely if you are a PCH fan, then you've got one front and center on this issue.  This copy has the deep gloss and rich colors of a Northford but also the cr/ow pages and a light tanning edge on the inside FC and BC that often accompany that.

Census:  two in 8.5.  This raw 9.0 copy with cr/ow pages is $1000.

WebOfMys6.jpg

WebOfMys6bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Just now, adamstrange said:

Web of Mystery #6, Northford:  If you like creepy old witch covers, which is likely if you are a PCH fan, then you've got one front and center on this issue.  This copy has the deep gloss and rich colors of a Northford but also the cr/ow pages and a light tanning edge on the inside FC and BC that often accompany that.

Census:  two in 8.5.  This raw 9.0 copy with cr/ow pages is $1000.

WebOfMys6.jpg

WebOfMys6bk.jpg

take