• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2024 at 9:09 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

You'd bet as much as fifty pence :whatthe:

I had a root around myself to see if I could find anything Reggie. When you think how many references there are - Hudson Street, Day Line Tours, West Side Dock, the elevated motorway - you think you'd be able to find something. The best I could find was aerial images of the piers, but nothing that matched Ross's layout.

I found a boat that is very similar, if I get some time, going to do a deeper dive.  

On 2/16/2024 at 5:14 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I found a boat that is very similar, if I get some time, going to do a deeper dive.  

Not too deep Reggie. They float, you know...

Capture.PNG.5e695797bfd82f22668c07a08ae90087.PNGCaptureb.thumb.PNG.4889fe87da2ad089fb0809f25a14acfa.PNG

On 2/16/2024 at 11:00 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Not too deep Reggie. They float, you know...

Capture.PNG.5e695797bfd82f22668c07a08ae90087.PNGCaptureb.thumb.PNG.4889fe87da2ad089fb0809f25a14acfa.PNG

You do know I was in the US Submarine force?  :gossip:

Man, I love Ross's depiction of motion.  Those Parker legs just portray a hurried energy.

On 2/17/2024 at 5:47 AM, mr_highgrade said:

I think that shot of the ferry boat is on The South Street Seaport. It's the only pier in NYC that has an elevated roadway above it. Which btw is the FDR. Also, I think I've might found the fire hydrant. hm

Hydrant.jpg

Is there a 1974 setting on that thing?

On 2/16/2024 at 10:52 PM, mr_highgrade said:

I know that Ross has a street sign that says Hudson Street, but that's on the opposite side of the Seaport, in Tribeca.

If Spidey was on Hudson street it would've taken him more than 16 seconds to get to the Seaport. 

Map.jpg

Map 2.jpg

Nice research.  I couldn't find the exact location, but who knows how it looked in 1974...

Cool page up on Comic Link.   I like the little note to the colorist to make sure the letter is yellow.  I wonder if the letters "U N" between the policemen in that first panel are for Dave Hunt?  Probably, but hard to say.

Wonder who did the doodles on the back page?  It looks like Ross wrote his name, but that doesn't look like his ink work.  Maybe Frank Giacoia, the inker for the issue.

RADA74DD2024319_11165.jpg

RADCCFAC2024319_11165.jpg

On 3/22/2024 at 2:58 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Cool page up on Comic Link.   I like the little note to the colorist to make sure the letter is yellow.  I wonder if the letters "U N" between the policemen in that first panel are for Dave Hunt?  Probably, but hard to say.

Wonder who did the doodles on the back page?  It looks like Ross wrote his name, but that doesn't look like his ink work.  Maybe Frank Giacoia, the inker for the issue.

Every Andru page is a wondrous page, but I'm not too keen on the Spidey nose profile in the second and third panels :eek:

The back page doodle looks like something you'd see on a Ditko Charlton horror cover Capturera.PNG.553ee84373c7040c1c5ad23e9e41f406.PNG

Another great Ross original art page over on Heritage Auctions, from Amazing Spider-Man 175.  This is page 22 but HA doesn't look they list the page number.

The somewhat interesting thing here is it looks like the image of the Punisher's head in that last panel was altered and a correction piece glued over the top, but appears removed to me.  The image below is what was published in the finished comic, meaning someone would have had to remove the correction piece before publishing.

Hmm, another theory is that is the corrected image and the glue just turned color after aging all these years.  Guess if I had a spare $15K I could find out, lol....

lf?set=path%5B2%2F9%2F9%2F6%2F2%2F29962273%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by Spider-Variant
Clarity

On 4/7/2024 at 7:14 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Another great Ross original art page over on Heritage Auctions, from Amazing Spider-Man 175.  This is page 22 but HA doesn't look they list the page number.

The somewhat interesting thing here is it looks like the image of the Punisher's head in that last panel was altered and a correction piece glued over the top, but appears removed to me.  The image below is what was published in the finished comic, meaning someone would have had to remove the correction piece before publishing.

Hmm, another theory is that is the corrected image and the glue just turned color after aging all these years.  Guess if I had a spare $15K I could find out, lol....

lf?set=path%5B2%2F9%2F9%2F6%2F2%2F29962273%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Comic mysteries.... :cloud9:

Capture.PNG.ab6b9925be4f8e466af38e9d73bb6532.PNGCaptureb.PNG.24259f3e7218e82cbbe04efc76b33784.PNG

It's hard to tell, but there are a few tell tale signs of a piece added around the neckline. 

This from the Heritage description:

"Slight toning, trimmed top corners, tape residue staining on the top/bottom edges, the Punisher's face is a discolored art paste-up, whiteout corrections, with light staining and handling wear. In Very Good condition."

Capturec.PNG.3d0cd67122d6bf59272d2eefad9c1e4d.PNG

Shall we all club together and buy it? :bigsmile:

On 4/8/2024 at 3:45 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Capture.PNG.ab6b9925be4f8e466af38e9d73bb6532.PNGCaptureb.PNG.24259f3e7218e82cbbe04efc76b33784.PNG

It's hard to tell, but there are a few tell tale signs of a piece added around the neckline. 

"Slight toning, trimmed top corners, tape residue staining on the top/bottom edges, the Punisher's face is a discolored art paste-up, whiteout corrections, with light staining and handling wear. In Very Good condition."

daffy1.gif.2060f62158d024d3bfb0136d14c68d34.gif

On 4/8/2024 at 12:45 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The only part of his head that is not a paste-up is that little tuft of hair, lol.

Andru Spider-man original art prices have exploded.  I love that he is finally getting the acclaim he deserves, but nearly all pages are definitely out of my resource capabilities.  Even character pages are too pricey.  I still love looking at them and posting them.  Love finding the comments in the borders and the production warts from 50 years ago.

Hi all!  If you hadn't seen this yet, a bunch of vintage photocopies of partially inked pages from Amazing Spider-Man #129 is ending in a few days on ComicLink:

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions_first.asp&id=1758660

These pages came from the estate of Dave Hunt, and all proceeds from the auction will go to Dave's family.  Thanks!  

On 4/8/2024 at 9:44 AM, Lee B. said:

Hi all!  If you hadn't seen this yet, a bunch of vintage photocopies of partially inked pages from Amazing Spider-Man #129 is ending in a few days on ComicLink:

https://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fauctions_first.asp&id=1758660

These pages came from the estate of Dave Hunt, and all proceeds from the auction will go to Dave's family.  Thanks!  

Lee, thanks the heads up.  I can't afford them, but man I love to look at them.  

On 4/8/2024 at 7:30 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Lee, thanks the heads up.  I can't afford them, but man I love to look at them.  

+1

On 4/8/2024 at 4:08 PM, Spider-Variant said:

The only part of his head that is not a paste-up is that little tuft of hair, lol.

Nothing strikes greater fear in the heart than a little tuft of hair :)

BUD-UD-UD-AH!

On 4/9/2024 at 5:05 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Nothing strikes greater fear in the heart than a little tuft of hair :)

BUD-UD-UD-AH!

I do wonder sometimes about how bad the original face had to be for Marvel to take the time to correct it?