• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,729 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2023 at 8:16 PM, cosmic-spider-man said:

Hey Reggie no I did not get a 147 until several years later, my first ASM buy was 151 new off the spinner rack at a local Drug Store. Then I missed 152 but bought 153 up and got my first subscription with 166 which came in the brown paper sleeves that was so cool, I did eventually get a 152 a few years later. 

I found some cool comics I bought some years back that I might post on here if anyone is interested. It is four Marvel Tales Issues with Ross Andru autographs not sure the auto's are real or not and they are a little hard to see as they are done in marker on dark colored areas but maybe I can get some opinions on that here.  I don't remember the issue numbers but one is the reprint of ASM #151 (reason I bought them) and all four also have Mark Jewelers Inserts. :smile:

Oh man, I remember those brown wrappers like it was yesterday.  My subscription started much later, probably around Issue 188. 

Yes, definitely post those here.  Maybe we can validate it.

On 8/6/2023 at 1:16 AM, cosmic-spider-man said:

I found some cool comics I bought some years back that I might post on here if anyone is interested. It is four Marvel Tales Issues with Ross Andru autographs not sure the auto's are real or not and they are a little hard to see as they are done in marker on dark colored areas but maybe I can get some opinions on that here.  I don't remember the issue numbers but one is the reprint of ASM #151 (reason I bought them) and all four also have Mark Jewelers Inserts. :smile:

Mark Jewelers too? How cool is that! Please do post pictures, Cosmic :popcorn:

On 8/6/2023 at 10:14 AM, cosmic-spider-man said:

Here they are, seems I was wrong only three had the Mark Jewelers Insert. :frown:

100_4242.JPG

100_4239.JPG

100_4240.JPG

100_4238.JPG

Still awesomely cool! Idk that I've seen a sig from andru in marker before either. ^^

On 8/6/2023 at 4:14 PM, cosmic-spider-man said:

Here they are, seems I was wrong only three had the Mark Jewelers Insert. :frown:

100_4242.JPG

100_4239.JPG

100_4240.JPG

100_4238.JPG

Nice. What's the story on these then, Cosmic?

On 8/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hmm, I don't know Terry.  It could be Ross and I do see some similarities, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.  Here are some signatures from the mid-seventies compared to your book's signatures, which at the earliest would have been in 1981.

image.thumb.png.24c8e03ca46ece81ec5f15cc16db0d64.png

Agreed. I'm not sure I've ever seen a signed comic cover. And would Ross sign a cover he didn't draw? hm

On 8/6/2023 at 6:07 PM, cosmic-spider-man said:

Yea they may not be real but I took a chance when I bought them. Got them on the bay probably about 20 years ago and I messaged the seller and he assured me they were legit and price was not that much so I bought them. :wishluck:

That's a comfort. If they were attempted fakes, you'd expect the seller to have a hefty mark up, otherwise, why bother ruining a MJI copy?

On 8/6/2023 at 12:09 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's a comfort. If they were attempted fakes, you'd expect the seller to have a hefty mark up, otherwise, why bother ruining a MJI copy?

No one even cared about Mark Jewelers copies back then and I didn't even know about that until I got them.

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

On 8/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, cosmic-spider-man said:

No one even cared about Mark Jewelers copies back then and I did even know about that until I got them.

Good point. Only a handful of us care about them today as it goes :bigsmile:

On 8/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, cosmic-spider-man said:

Yea they may not be real but I took a chance when I bought them. Got them on the bay probably about 20 years ago and I messaged the seller and he assured me they were legit and price was not that much so I bought them. :wishluck:

Did he give you any idea how he obtained them?  I'm guessing Ross would have been a hard signature to get.  I've never seen him in a convention photo or any Marvel event for that matter.  If they are real great get, if not, you did alright.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:43 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Did he give you any idea how he obtained them?  I'm guessing Ross would have been a hard signature to get.  I've never seen him in a convention photo or any Marvel event for that matter.  If they are real great get, if not, you did alright.

Yea it was so long ago I really don't remember what he said just remember asking about them before the purchase and don't really remember how much I paid either but I can't image it would have been very much back then. hm 

On 6/16/2021 at 4:35 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Not sure if this is legit, but you'd expect a photo or two to exist of the event, wouldn't you and I can't find any after a quick search. 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/amazing-spider-man-158-1976-fn-fn-542881290

Capture.PNG.ee9a4d4a8b9ba649453551443398a069.PNG

Captureb.thumb.PNG.2b4136a993f65ecec3c19c6c1e0aa72e.PNG

Hey @cosmic-spider-man Steve found this little nugget two years ago.  The signature is hard to read though.  So, according to this, Ross did make a convention in 1992, but neither Steve nor I could find any info on it.

Damn, how cool would it have been to be there, on that day.  People had no idea what a talent this guy was back then.  This was about 1.5 years before this death.  :frown:

On 8/6/2023 at 8:46 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hey @cosmic-spider-man Steve found this little nugget two years ago.  The signature is hard to read though.  So, according to this, Ross did make a convention in 1992, but neither Steve nor I could find any info on it.

Damn, how cool would it have been to be there, on that day.  People had no idea what a talent this guy was back then.  This was about 1.5 years before this death.  :frown:

Thanks Guys for looking, I guess there is still a very small chance the signatures are real if he did a few conventions.

I went to several conventions in Atlanta Ga. back in the late 80's & early 90's (Dragoncon and Atlanta Fantasy Fair) and I never seen him, but that sure would have been cool to have gotten his signature myself. :cool:

On 8/7/2023 at 5:27 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I found these greeting cardssigned by him(no idea when he signed them) ...the "R" looks close, but the sigs on the Marvel Tales look rushed so it's hard to really tell. 

ROSSANDRULETTERS.jpg.b9cbb9320a34c48566e8599bf9fdd577.jpg

The thing is...if I was a villain, and was going to choose an artist or writer to train myself to forge their sig, I would pick someone a bit more popular than Ross Andru... 

If that Spidey head sketch is real I want it :sumo: Capture.PNG.fe1d6299628a515d0dcef1b0c80d8f9f.PNG

On 8/7/2023 at 5:27 PM, trademarkcomics said:

The thing is...if I was a villain, and was going to choose an artist or writer to train myself how to forge their sig, I would pick someone a bit more popular than Ross Andru... 

Careful (tsk)

On 8/7/2023 at 9:31 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Careful (tsk)

I love Ross(I have a CGC high grade of Marvel Super-Heroes #14 just because it's his first Spidey art), but let's be realistic. He's no Lee, Ditko or Romita. And even the latter two would not be immediately recognized by Joe Schmo-Public. :preach:

On 8/7/2023 at 5:38 PM, trademarkcomics said:

I love Ross(I have a CGC high grade of Marvel Super-Heroes #14 just because it's his first Spidey art), but let's be realistic. He's no Lee, Ditko or Romita. And even the latter two would not be immediately recognized by Joe Schmo-Public. :preach:

Sic 'im Reggie! :mad:

@Spider-Variant

Spoiler

jnlaugh.gif.e3ffcce41b03f014cc2a68b2672befd2.gif