• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

Back in 2016, Heritage Auctions sold the cover to Marvel Team-Up 61.  They accredited the pencils to Ross Andru and the inker as unknown.  I see Comic Connect is now offering this cover, but they put Al Milgrom as the penciler and Joe Sinnott as the inker.  Other sources I reviewed also have this duo as the art team for this cover.

It doesn't look like Ross's work to me either.  Especially if I flip the image.

But here is the million dollar question?  Why did Ross sign it in pencil at the top of the artboard?  That looks like Ross's signature to me and not someone assigning the cover to Ross.

Any thoughts? 

Al Milgrom - Marvel Team-Up #61 cover - Spider-Man & The Human Torch! Comic Art

image.thumb.png.94bb39f7cb50c47b2f89f0b6932424eb.png

On 2/20/2023 at 4:52 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Back in 2016, Heritage Auctions sold the cover to Marvel Team-Up 61.  They accredited the pencils to Ross Andru and the inker as unknown.  I see Comic Connect is now offering this cover, but they put Al Milgrom as the penciler and Joe Sinnott as the inker.  Other sources I reviewed also have this duo as the art team for this cover.

It doesn't look like Ross's work to me either.  Especially if I flip the image.

But here is the million dollar question?  Why did Ross sign it in pencil at the top of the artboard?  That looks like Ross's signature to me and not someone assigning the cover to Ross.

Any thoughts? 

Al Milgrom - Marvel Team-Up #61 cover - Spider-Man & The Human Torch! Comic Art

image.thumb.png.94bb39f7cb50c47b2f89f0b6932424eb.png

Indeed. It could be like after Ross? Was that a thing? I know there are sketches now that are after a certain style attributed to a artist. Still, there I'm sure are various reasons withing a work environment,  and yet, I'd compare it to your knowledge  :)

Awaiting to see the answers ^^

On 2/20/2023 at 4:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Indeed. It could be like after Ross? Was that a thing? I know there are sketches now that are after a certain style attributed to a artist. Still, there I'm sure are various reasons withing a work environment,  and yet, I'd compare it to your knowledge  :)

Awaiting to see the answers ^^

Hmmm, not sure there was an "after Ross" back then.

The Spidey looks like Al Milgrom and the Thing arm looks like Sinnott inks to me.  But the Human Torch looks like it is a little more detailed than the Spidey.  Hmmm hm

On 2/20/2023 at 11:18 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hmmm, not sure there was an "after Ross" back then.

The Spidey looks like Al Milgrom and the Thing arm looks like Sinnott inks to me.  But the Human Torch looks like it is a little more detailed than the Spidey.  Hmmm hm

knowledge is power :) I'm glad for the examples :) 

On 2/20/2023 at 11:18 PM, Spider-Variant said:

But the Human Torch looks like it is a little more detailed than the Spidey.  Hmmm hm

In my opinion, Ross Andru certainly at least inked the Torch's face.

It screams out Andru to me, especially the eyes, in the same way that the interior art of Giant Size Spider Man #1 screams out "Dear God, why did anyone let Don Heck anywhere near this artwork?"

On 2/22/2023 at 2:34 PM, sledgehammer said:

In my opinion, Ross Andru certainly at least inked the Torch's face.

It screams out Andru to me, especially the eyes, in the same way that the interior art of Giant Size Spider Man #1 screams out "Dear God, why did anyone let Don Heck anywhere near this artwork?"

If Ross did any work on this, I would think it would only be on the Human Torch.

I did not enjoy Mr. Heck's work either.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:04 AM, Spider-Variant said:

If Ross did any work on this, I would think it would only be on the Human Torch.

I did not enjoy Mr. Heck's work either.

For me, I think it was always about the art.

Whether it was John Romita, or Ross Andru, Heck would have gone a long way toward ruining it for me.

I can't tell you how disapointed I always was to open a beautiful Romita cover, and find art by Heck.

I couldn't care less if some people appreciated his style, or if he was better in his early years, he sucked the life out of everything he touched.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:41 AM, Spider-Variant said:

The Sound of Music was released on this date back in 1965.

This young lad displayed his talents on this movie, but what in the heck does he have to do with Spider-Man?  

@Get Marwood & I's half eaten Twinkie from the 70s for the first correct winner.

Sing-A-Long-A Sound Of Music Australasia - Nicholas Hammond, better known  as Friedrich in The Sound of Music, wasn't a natural blonde! Several  bleachings did the trick though! Image: rti.ie | Facebook

He played Spidey in the 70's TV series. :sumo:

On 3/4/2023 at 9:21 AM, The lips said:

A7C15F81-1414-41E7-AF99-07AB452C090F.jpeg

Glad there are reading copies, love the patience and time to take a pic, thanks for that! Clearly respect the love.