• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,729 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2023 at 5:55 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hey Steve, which panel on these two pages is most Andruey? See if we think alike.

This one does it for me (and not just because he's wearing my platforms):

image.png.4b3aecfdb3e3d146d1f573f090598eaf.png.0bf5507a1df01500c97a716e02a822f0.png

On 7/13/2023 at 6:28 PM, Spider-Variant said:

The way Spidey lands here screams Andru to me. 

Doesn't it just. Especially the backwards pointing left arm with its split fingers. There's something ever so slightly off with the Andru eyes though in these panels. 

On 7/13/2023 at 6:28 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Those platforms, Steve, remind me of the time my brothers and I used to dress up like members of the band KISS, lol.

Any pictures? :popcorn:

On 7/14/2023 at 12:25 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Doesn't it just. Especially the backwards pointing left arm with its split fingers. There's something ever so slightly off with the Andru eyes though in these panels. 

Any pictures? :popcorn:

I actually wish I did.  We built plywood fake guitars and put smoke bombs in them.  We had makeup and platform shoes.  Would love to have a picture of those days.

Edited by Spider-Variant

I found this cool scan of the original art for Giant-Size Spider-Man #4 splash page.  If you look at the bottom of the art board, there's no room for the indicia below the end of the art and it almost looks like it was glued over some of the art.  But if I look at a scan from the actual comic, the indicia fits just fine.  But look at the splash itself, it's tilted slightly to the right, where Ross's upper boarder is straight across.  It looks like perhaps Marvel reduced the original art page slightly and then added the indicia below it, but they were a little careless and the page ended up tilted.

Why these little quirks fascinate me, who knows.....

gia20.6_1.jpg

image.png.e1318923ab6db9bf696d8e971a13cd67.png

On 7/16/2023 at 12:41 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Why these little quirks fascinate me, who knows.....

....because they give us another reason to muck about with comics, Reggie :)

r1.PNG.12a57037ce4fde29d51d1ece0ea32d51.PNG r2.PNG.71ed5740ef7e06041648cbe9eed00da7.PNG

r3.thumb.jpg.60797c4b2f25de0564cdae83fb507ea5.jpg

Look at the top and bottom slopes on this eBay copy.... hm

On 7/17/2023 at 2:09 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Better without the hatchings on the roof?  I think it makes Spider-Man pop off the page.

image.thumb.png.45aac2ba8a26829ff3cf58d4ecf23a7c.png

Better. Maybe that should be your next avenue of appreciation Reggie - retrospective background amendments :)

Hey @Get Marwood & I and gang,

July 21 (which it already is across the pond) marks the fifth year of us posting about Ross Andru and the Amazing Spider-Man comics we loved as kids.  I just wanted everyone to know that I have enjoined the last five years chatting with all of you.  

Steve started this thread originally as an ode to ASM 176 through 180, but we quickly expended it to include Ross's entire run on the series.  I admit I have even snuck in other interesting, non-Spider-Man art as well.:preach:

:headbang:  Here's looking at another five years!  

On 7/20/2023 at 10:11 PM, Spider-Variant said:

July 21 (which it already is across the pond) marks the fifth year of us posting about Ross Andru and the Amazing Spider-Man comics we loved as kids.  I just wanted everyone to know that I have enjoined the last five years chatting with all of you.  

Steve started this thread originally as an ode to ASM 176 through 180, but we quickly expended it to include Ross's entire run on the series.  I admit I have even snuck in other interesting, non-Spider-Man art as well.:preach:

One of my favorite threads. (thumbsu 

On 7/21/2023 at 3:11 AM, Spider-Variant said:

We've matched his five year ASM tenure Reggie!

first.thumb.jpg.99ac8c9e3f3226b1760eeaba27114c0f.jpglast.thumb.jpg.67f32d6eed7e63bad2fd419afa4fd5c1.jpg

The tenure that defined my youth. For me, as I've said many times, the definitive portrayal of the definitive cast.

image.png.e6a673b0a7d86bd1c319e190634dd40f.png

<3

On 7/27/2023 at 8:11 AM, rlextherobot said:

I'm sure folks here are aware of this letter from ASM 150, but on the offchance someone hasn't seen it...

PXL_20230719_024510501.jpg

Hey @rlextherobot, welcome to the Ross Andru thread.  Yes, we posted that toward the beginning of this thread.  There's even a real life recreation of the page Frank mentions in that letter in this thread as well.    Keeping posting cool finds.