• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction
5 5

172 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, that's exactly what it was.  (thumbsu

All done by the same person as the shape of the "S" marking was all the same, just in slightly varying sizes if I remember correctly.  But in all, still beautiful copies.  :cloud9:

I have seen distributor marks made with grease markers.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Where's Gator with his usual play by play for these Heritage Auctions that he used to do a couple of years ago.  Or has he timed it once again so that he is he down on another one of his jaunts to a South American or Central American country which has no internet service.  (shrug)

Boy, I am even missing Mitch's usual ongoing dollar count as to how much these auctions have gotten so far.  :facepalm:

I guess we've all gotten so jaded with these big auction results that it's a big yawner to most boardies and not worth posting about anymore like what we used to do in the past. hm

I was unloading 2 vans of comics at Tampa Comic con. Missed most of the auction.  

3 hours ago, grube09 said:

Am I missing something on Wonderworld Comics #11 7.5?  Was a hammer of $26,400 expected?  I saw the book at SDCC and it had an estimated "sell for" price of $2K+.  Guess the "+" heavily applied!

It only sold for 3120 (2600+ bp)

it was a glitch. Folks were even laughing about it when it “jumped” after it had closed 

97DDCCBC-4EB8-4939-9F95-12B716A1479C.png

Edited by G.A.tor

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

it was a glitch. Folks were even laughing about it when it “jumped” after it had closed 

Oh, you little poop!  :censored:

Spoiling all of our fun here, and just after I finished paying a whole dollar for that now worthless pack of grease pencil markers at the local loonie store.  lol  doh!

Now, I guess we can all go back and gross over that Teen-Age Romance #9.  It must be that hunky guy on the front cover that's pulling in all of the big dollars.  :wink:

Never mind, I gotta run back to the loonie store and see if I can get a refund for my useless grease pencils now before it closes for the day.  :wishluck:

14 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

This is a small auction in terms of material..GA wise or comics in general, after breaking records this year.....solid prices however. 

Yes, i'm sure they are making up with original art what they lacked in comics this go around. Barry highlighted maybe only 3 or 4 comics in his video sales pitch.

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

There are a ton of people kicking themselves in the azz for not bidding

2 hours ago, hippiecop said:

The record "Batman #1 is a black s copy also that has the S erased if you look close.

Oh, I see now, you must be referring to this CGC 9.2 graded copy of Bat 1 that sold for over $567K  on Heritage back in 2013:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-1-dc-1940-cgc-nm-92-off-white-pages/a/7079-91013.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|1#

Looks like the erased "Black S" marking would be to the right of Batman's cape near the right edge of the book.  (thumbsu

27 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

There are a ton of people kicking themselves in the azz for not bidding

Thank you GAtor for pointing this out!  Dang...now that I see that hammer price I am disappointed I didn’t throw my hat in the ring!  It’s like I’m getting a liquidation price :kidaround:

3 hours ago, RickHigh said:

My personal thinking is that if one of the higher graded copies of this book ever does come to market, it would probably have a good chance of breaking the mythical $10K price barrier.  hm

3 hours ago, RickHigh said:

Check this one out in the upcoming Comiclink auction. Gotta feeling it will break 10K.... 

RADF0375201881_113351.jpg

Yes, methinks this copy here will definitely do it.  :luhv:

Although it would probably do a whole lot better if they just found some way to get rid of that nasty looking label on top since it just gets in the way of that beautifully crafted cover.  :wink:

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, grube09 said:

Am I missing something on Wonderworld Comics #11 7.5?  Was a hammer of $26,400 expected?  I saw the book at SDCC and it had an estimated "sell for" price of $2K+.  Guess the "+" heavily applied!

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Craziest result in the auction, imo.  The Church copy sold in last year's Berk auction for $19K.

I was sitting pretty with this book at the "estimated" range for all of 10 seconds, and then BOOM! within 3 seconds the price catapulted to $26,400. Totally unfathomable. I'd like to think there was an error in the decimal point. Insane.

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

6 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I was sitting pretty with this book at the "estimated" range for all of 10 seconds, and then BOOM! within 3 seconds the price catapulted to $26,400. Totally unfathomable. I'd like to think there was an error in the decimal point. Insane.

Should've read the rest of this thread. Guess I was the underbidder then. Would have pushed it a little higher. #%!*$@*^%$! :censored:

44 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Should've read the rest of this thread. Guess I was the underbidder then. Would have pushed it a little higher. #%!*$@*^%$! :censored:

So, is it possible that the consignor of this book did not get the max bid possible since it jumped all the way up to $26+K before the lot closed and then Heritage manually scaled it back down to the prior bid before the jump?  ???

Or hopefully for the consignor's sake, the auction closed at $3,120 and then the glitch happened afterwards to jump it all the way up to $26K.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

30 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, is it possible that the consignor of this book did not get the max bid possible since it jumped all the way up to $26+K before the lot closed and then Heritage manually scaled it back down to the prior bid before the jump?  ???

Or hopefully for the consignor's sake, the auction closed at $3,120 and then the glitch happened afterwards to jump it all the way up to $26K.  hm

I noticed that as I was monitoring the auction, a couple of books were temporarily showing the prior book's bids after the auction closed.  I don't think it impacted the bidding as it occurred.