• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction
5 5

172 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
20 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I am not sad about getting this lone highest copy of a classic. Went well below my max bid.

E313A96E-DF7C-4FE3-839A-E4CEA6F7A651.jpeg

They don't give an artist attribution to this. Joe Orlando of course, although at one time it was Wood/Orlando.

I can see why it would be attributed (at least in part) to Wood.  Sure looks Woodish to me. hm

6 minutes ago, lbcolefan said:

I agree, It’s just a shame you can’t count on Heritage providing the correct info.

Usually you can see where they messed up the census count -- typically confused with a comic of a similar title.  On this one, though, it's hard to see where the mixup came. I took a look at the census and don't see a book with a similar title that this one could have been confused with.

Still a very nice copy of a great book.

It's unbelievably sloppy on the part of an outfit that claims world class auction tier.  There's been a 9.2 of that book on the census since 2003, and a second 9.2 since 2007.  Absolutely no excuse, the catalogue department should be doing a manual check when inputting the listing, take all of 15 seconds?  Outrageous. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

It's unbelievably sloppy on the part of an outfit that claims world class auction tier.  There's been a 9.2 of that book on the census since 2003, and a second 9.2 since 2007.  Absolutely no excuse, the catalogue department should be doing a manual check when inputting the listing, take all of 15 seconds?  Outrageous. 

On the other hand it’s a mistake that could lead to a higher hammer price for anyone not checking. 

1 minute ago, ThothAmon said:

Took a stab at the Brundage Bat girl.  Already own one but someday this should be up there with Action 1 in my estimation.  Lol.  Seriously though, what impact if any did the trimming have on the hammer price.  Is it as harshly judged in the pulp world as the comic world?  Should it be?

lf.jpeg

I avoid it but admit to owning some hard to get ones (like yours) when they come around. That’s such an iconic cover....

51 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I think because we live in a period where 1) new incredible price levels are regularly being achieved at auction with hot books/series/artists 2) we have to contend also with things like EBay and others and their ridiculous prices at times

So it’s not surprising when we assume something fantastic in pricing could actually be real. 

Reality is blurring with illusion these days...

Well stated.

12 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Did you get it? I was probably 4th

Yes, I did.  I put my max in 7 days ago, thankfully that was enough.  Shot up real quick today from where it had been sitting at $1700 before the live bidding started.  This was the only one I had been eyeing for this auction, glad to walk away with it.

2 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Yes, I did.  I put my max in 7 days ago, thankfully that was enough.  Shot up real quick today from where it had been sitting at $1700 before the live bidding started.  This was the only one I had been eyeing for this auction, glad to walk away with it.

Seems like an awfully strong price for a Fight Comics. hm

Is this particular cover now being seen by many collectors here as a classic GGA cover with the close up in your face shot of the girl with highlights right at the forefront of the cover?  If so, I guess it's still not yet being recognized by Overstreet as such since he is a bit behind the market when it comes to these things.  Another perfect example being Suzie 51 which still has not yet been broken out from its standard grouping so far.  :taptaptap:

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is this particular cover now being seen by many collectors here as a classic GGA cover with the close up in your face shot of the girl with highlights right at the forefront of the cover?  If so, I guess it's still not yet being recognized by Overstreet as such since he is a bit behind the market when it comes to these things.  Another perfect example being Suzie 51 which still has not yet been broken out from its standard grouping so far.  :taptaptap:

I think I’d list it as a classic to some. I like the cover but not anywhere close to a classic for me. 

I think there is a place we can call in demand by some but short of enough people wanting it to be classic. 

So maybe almost classic? Lol

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I’ve had high grade Fight 31,32 That sold for about double that 39.  I know they have more gruesome elements. 39 and 40 are actually my favorites and it went about $400 higher than I expected and was willing to go. Must have been at least 3 of us in the mix at the end. I think you are seeing a rise in Lily Renee classic covers and she assisted Doolin by working Senorita Rio on that cover.