• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA Summer Signature Auction
5 5

172 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Nope. It went through fair warning and closed and then the “glitch” as they were advancing to next book. 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

They've decided to cancel the auction and relist the book in November.

I can second that motion. As per Barry S. at HA.

21 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I wanted this one BAD but just couldn't hit that last bid. Hope one of you guys got it. Maybe the best Feldstein page I have seen offered.

That was great but I didn't have the pockets to ever be in contention for it. I understand people like Feldstein for the women he draws, but I actually liked the Crime Patrol #10 splash almost as much so I ended up running that one up. I didn't want to pass $2k on it, though, since it was just a really fun one-off piece to me and not something I plan on collecting.

Edited by Greenlake

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:
4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Nope. It went through fair warning and closed and then the “glitch” as they were advancing to next book. 

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

They've decided to cancel the auction and relist the book in November.

Are you guys actually serious here?

According to what Gator stated up above, the auction had already closed before the "glitch" took place that jumped it from the $3K mark all the way up to the $26K price.  I guess the consignor of the book must really think the book had received real bids all the way to the final $26K price point then.  Certainly can't hurt his chances though for a bit more than the $2,600 hammer price, as this little fiasco has indeed given some free "discussion time" to this book and it might just have brought it to some potential bidder's attention that had not noticed the very tiny picture that it had in the auction catalogue.  hm

Hmmmm..........astute consignor sees an opportunity here as this little "glitch" might just turn out to be a good marketing ploy that could work out to his advantage.  (thumbsu

On 8/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, lou_fine said:
On 8/2/2018 at 3:28 PM, Dark Knight said:

I've seen that "S" black marking in pre Robin tecs as well.l, in fact I had a Tec 35 with it and I've seen it in a 33 and 37. Not sure if it is from the same collection. 

Makes me wonder if it's possible that these books came out from one of the early pioneer collector's high grade collection before there was such a thing as pedigree collections. (shrug)

Especially when we've heard rumours about possible pedigree quality collections of books before there were officially designated pedigrees that seem to have only started in the mid 70's.  hm

On 8/2/2018 at 3:51 PM, hippiecop said:

Black S copies came from the same collection, which was purchased from Rhode Island in the early 60's. 

So, my initial suspicions were correct in that this collection may actually be a pedigree before the comic book collecting market had matured enough to have the early first designated pedigrees in the form of the Edgar Church MH's, the Tom Reilly SF's, the Cosmic Aeroplane Collection, and the White Mountain books which was the first SA pedigree.  Now, I can understand why Fishler and the late great Verzyl refused to back down on their multiples to guide when I saw some gorgeous early Fox copies in their display booth back in the latter part of the 90's.  :cloud9:

Makes me wonder if this collection had been found and brought to market today, would it qualify for an official pedigree designation.  Not sure how big it actually is, but seems to contain much of the same content as the small but high quality and much sought after Allentown collection of books in terms of the early Fox books and pre-Robin 'Tec books.  I guess still having the highest graded copy of Batman 1 after all these years also certainly wouldn't hurt its case for an official pedigree designation.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Are you guys actually serious here?

According to what Gator stated up above, the auction had already closed before the "glitch" took place that jumped it from the $3K mark all the way up to the $26K price.  I guess the consignor of the book must really think the book had received real bids all the way to the final $26K price point then.  Certainly can't hurt his chances though for a bit more than the $2,600 hammer price, as this little fiasco has indeed given some free "discussion time" to this book and it might just have brought it to some potential bidder's attention that had not noticed the very tiny picture that it had in the auction catalogue.  hm

Hmmmm..........astute consignor sees an opportunity here as this little "glitch" might just turn out to be a good marketing ploy that could work out to his advantage.  (thumbsu

Yep.  The book has disappeared from the completed listings: https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=204&Ns=Time|1||Lot+No|0&N=52+790+231+4294947973+2680+2678

1 minute ago, N e r V said:
3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I feel sorry for the “buyer”. He’s the real loser in this.  :frown:

You never know.  I had a book relisted recently that sold for less than in the original (aborted) auction. 

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You never know.  I had a book relisted recently that sold for less than in the original (aborted) auction. 

True. But if he’s looking for a CGC copy there’s only currently around 19 on the census and of those only 5 around that grade. It’s a pretty limited pool to draw from.

I also think it will do much better in the next auction myself (great series+great cover artist+currently Fox a hot publisher). 

Edited by N e r V

6 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I feel sorry for the “buyer”. He’s the real loser in this.  :frown:

4 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yea, plus, it's possible the "buyer" thought he had just been slapped with a $26,400 invoice! In which case: disaster averted!

What I find interesting from an anthropological point of view, is how we all (well, some of us) tried coming up with the most fascinating explanations to account for the astronomical price. :preach:

4 minutes ago, N e r V said:
14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

True. But if he’s looking for a CGC copy there’s only currently around 19 on the census and of those only 5 around that grade. It’s a pretty limited pool to draw from.

I also think it will do much better in the next auction myself (great series+great cover artist+currently a hot publisher). 

Well, it's really hard to say considering that there's 3 unrestored copies graded higher than this copy here.  So, I don't know how much more you can realistically expect from a CGC 7.5 graded copy, but then I guess you never really know with some of these auction results nowadays.  (shrug)

Personally, if I was willing to spend this kind of money on a "non-early" Fox book, I would have gone after the much tougher to find Mystery Men 11 and then tied at the time with the Allentown copy as the highest graded at 9.0 in the CC auction last summer:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=721161&title=MYSTERYMEN COMICS

Now, that's an even much rarer Fox book with only 9 copies graded (tied with MM7 as the lowest census count out of the early Fox books) and what I think is also a more classic cover image as compared to the Wonderworld 11.  Looks like the buyer was astute enough to snapped it up at only $3,900 for an old CGC 9.0 graded label which was then turned into the sole highest graded copy at CGC 9.2 and flipped back out for somewhere north of $6K.  hm

So, not so sure that a CGC 7.5 WW 11 will be able to generate much more than what it got here, but I guess we will wait and see.  :taptaptap:

One book I was watching was the Chilling Tales #14. The colors are great, but zooming in on the book, I thought it looked like an 8.0 sitting in a 9.0 holder. I guess other bidders disagreed because it hit $5K!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/chilling-tales-14-youthful-magazines-1953-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7189-93038.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116#

ETA: Another book that I thought was overgraded was the WDC&S 59, which hit $3,120 in 9.0.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-59-dell-1945-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7189-91095.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/2/2018 at 3:51 PM, hippiecop said:

Black S copies came from the same collection, which was purchased from Rhode Island in the early 60's.  Hopefully they DO put a premium on them someday, as I've got a full run of "Ace Comics" many of which have them. Waiting with baited breath....  :bigsmile:

Any idea if the copy of Ace 11 with the first appearance of the Phantom had this "Black S" grease pencil mark on it since you have the full run?  :wishluck:

Don't believe there's any other pedigree copy of this key book which came out quite a few months prior to Action 1.  Doesn't show up on the Larson List or the Lost Valley catalogue since those are normally the only major pedigrees (along with the Church) that seems to cover that earlier time period.  There is a Church copy out there, but I believe it must be one of those second hand books that Edgar had picked up afterwards.  Especially since it is not listed by Chuck as being in NM condition like virtually all of the books that Church had cherry picked fresh off the newsstand. hm

If it does, you might have just hit the jackpot as I believe that Fishler has been searching for a high grade copy of this book for the longest while, apparently without much luck so far as this is a real toughie to find and never seems to show up in the marketplace.  :flipbait:

45 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Yea, plus, it's possible the "buyer" thought he had just been slapped with a $26,400 invoice! In which case: disaster averted!

What I find interesting from an anthropological point of view, is how we all (well, some of us) tried coming up with the most fascinating explanations to account for the astronomical price. :preach:

I think because we live in a period where 1) new incredible price levels are regularly being achieved at auction with hot books/series/artists 2) we have to contend also with things like EBay and others and their ridiculous prices at times

So it’s not surprising when we assume something fantastic in pricing could actually be real. 

Reality is blurring with illusion these days...

10 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I am not sad about getting this lone highest copy of a classic. Went well below my max bid.

E313A96E-DF7C-4FE3-839A-E4CEA6F7A651.jpeg

They don't give an artist attribution to this. Joe Orlando of course, although at one time it was Wood/Orlando.

12 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Well, I am not sad about getting this lone highest copy of a classic. Went well below my max bid.

E313A96E-DF7C-4FE3-839A-E4CEA6F7A651.jpeg

2 minutes ago, lbcolefan said:

Congrats, it’s one of my favorites.

Unfortunately, it’s not the highest graded. There are 3 graded higher.

Don’t you worry about them other copies Rick, that’s neat stuff you got there....