• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

Don't know if this has been covered in this thread or is common knowledge, but there was a U.K. variant of Miracleman #1. I've read an estimated print run of 1,000-2,000, making it much rarer than the normal U.S. edition (with approx. 135,000 print run). The U.K. variant has a yellow back cover with a Quality Comics advertisement, not the black Zot! advertisement. With the probable increased interest in Miracleman coming in a couple months, it might be something to keep an eye out for.

Hi, this was discussed back in the mid to late 40s (pages of this thread!) - one fellow MM collector has an enviable CGC 9.6 of the UK no.1

The indicia and inside front cover (as well as the yellow back cover) are also different. The 135k print run for MM no.1 is accurate, and I've no reason to disbelieve the 1-2k UK print run, particularly as Dez said Titan had to import American versions to the UK when it launched.

I still have the UK version I bought as a 13 year old in August 1985 :cloud9:

I recall it being super HOT at the time. Everyone was talking about it.

By contrast, Warrior no.1s print run was only 44,000.

Does anyone know what modern print runs are likely to be? i.e. the newly launched Marvel Miracleman?

MarvelMiracleman ! :o

Don't know if this has been covered in this thread or is common knowledge, but there was a U.K. variant of Miracleman #1. I've read an estimated print run of 1,000-2,000, making it much rarer than the normal U.S. edition (with approx. 135,000 print run). The U.K. variant has a yellow back cover with a Quality Comics advertisement, not the black Zot! advertisement. With the probable increased interest in Miracleman coming in a couple months, it might be something to keep an eye out for.

Hi, this was discussed back in the mid to late 40s (pages of this thread!) - one fellow MM collector has an enviable CGC 9.6 of the UK no.1

The indicia and inside front cover (as well as the yellow back cover) are also different. The 135k print run for MM no.1 is accurate, and I've no reason to disbelieve the 1-2k UK print run, particularly as Dez said Titan had to import American versions to the UK when it launched.

I still have the UK version I bought as a 13 year old in August 1985 :cloud9:

I recall it being super HOT at the time. Everyone was talking about it.

By contrast, Warrior no.1s print run was only 44,000.

Does anyone know what modern print runs are likely to be? i.e. the newly launched Marvel Miracleman?

MarvelMiracleman ! :o

The most popular titles can break 100,000 but this is restricted to only a handful, the odd issue can break 120,000 and, in rare cases, can hit 200,000 or, in very rare cases, 300,000. I can see Marvel Miracleman #1 being one of these rare cases and I would guess it would hit at least 200,000 but this is just a guess.

Edited by Neeidea

I've often wondered why Miracleman 14 hasn't been considered more important.

An obvious answer is that it's overshadowed by MM 15. Which is semi-understandable.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T READ IT YET (I know it's odd because it's so old, but this will be new for a TON of people when the reprints start coming)

I'm specifically referring to the scene where Kid Miracleman's alter ego is anally raped by some older kids (which results in him finally loosing the evil one and the whole scene in MM 15).

MM 9 is constantly referred to as a key comic point due to the "graphic birthing scenes". But MM 14, IMO, blows that away. Child rape in comics? I doubt that happened before this (or not on such a public stage as MM's popularity).

Frankly, I thought 14 was one of the better issues in the series.

Pat

Pat

Agreed. #14 was one heck of a set-up issue for #15. It was just a brutal issue & the reader could certainly feel sympathy for Johnny Bates.

I felt bad for the nurse as well. One of my favorite lines in the entire series from KM... "I'm sorry. They'd say I was going soft, wouldn't they?"

No new Gaiman material until 2016. :cry:

What!? Now what's going on?

They're reprinting the entire run, which presumably includes #8 (which had no new material). That gives them 24 issues worth to get through before new stuff. I did see that 2 issues were solicited for January, so maybe they'll get there faster. The linked article also offers 2016 as the start date for new stuff, but he also says that might be post-Gaiman and Buckingham.

Let's say for example that we were looking at some time in 2016 as a possible date for the continuation of MM's stories beyond Neil and Bucky.

I'm not sure how many more issues of The Silver Age and The Dark Age were originally intended and how many of those the guys still want to tell. Both gentlemen are at different places in their careers and lives now, and may not have the same creative vision they were working on in 1993.

Interesting. The story seems a bit easier to read with the new colors.

hum. not sure I like it. It makes it look like a modern Marvel book (perhaps that's the idea) I always liked the original garish colours...

And is it me or has some of the dialogue changed subtly?

The new lettering... dare I say it... makes it sound a bit 6th formy...

However, on the plus side they've kept the Marvelman / Nietzsche intro!

hum. not sure I like it. It makes it look like a modern Marvel book (perhaps that's the idea) I always liked the original garish colours...

I don't like the Nietzsche intro.

Subtle it aint.

I don't like the Nietzsche intro.

Subtle it aint.

I liked it.Nearly 30 years ago,not much up on Nietzsche at all,I thought it was pretty dang powerful.

The article is grade-A baloney. Even today, the story is one of the best written. It's infinitely better written then nearly anything today.

Pat

Ummm... Did you read the article? All I got out of it is glowing praise for Miracleman and its influence on today's comics.

I need to go back and re-read it to see where you got something different out of it.

Article was a bit of generalization on my part. Frankly, I was beyond pissed off about the garbage Broncos game last night.

But this is the statement that is completely erroneous IMO: "it probably isn’t fair or even realistic to hold the series up against contemporary comics, despite Miracleman‘s significant influence on a good deal of them."

It's more than fair because it's better than them.

Pat

I've often wondered why Miracleman 14 hasn't been considered more important.

An obvious answer is that it's overshadowed by MM 15. Which is semi-understandable.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T READ IT YET (I know it's odd because it's so old, but this will be new for a TON of people when the reprints start coming)

I'm specifically referring to the scene where Kid Miracleman's alter ego is anally raped by some older kids (which results in him finally loosing the evil one and the whole scene in MM 15).

MM 9 is constantly referred to as a key comic point due to the "graphic birthing scenes". But MM 14, IMO, blows that away. Child rape in comics? I doubt that happened before this (or not on such a public stage as MM's popularity).

Pat

Agreed that scene is as graphic and sticks in your mind as much as anything in #15, and maybe moreso because it happens first. I own the cover to #14 and this particular page. Actually, I had the page for a while, then had to trade it away for something, and then found a way to get it back at auction. It is disturbing, but a key moment in the run and classic Moore. So glad it is being reprinted for a new audience.

No new Gaiman material until 2016. :cry:

What!? Now what's going on?

They're reprinting the entire run, which presumably includes #8 (which had no new material). That gives them 24 issues worth to get through before new stuff. I did see that 2 issues were solicited for January, so maybe they'll get there faster. The linked article also offers 2016 as the start date for new stuff, but he also says that might be post-Gaiman and Buckingham.

Let's say for example that we were looking at some time in 2016 as a possible date for the continuation of MM's stories beyond Neil and Bucky.

I'm not sure how many more issues of The Silver Age and The Dark Age were originally intended and how many of those the guys still want to tell. Both gentlemen are at different places in their careers and lives now, and may not have the same creative vision they were working on in 1993.

Issue #8 won't be reprinted, as there is no new material there. And it is true they are doing two issues in January just to launch, but then it goes monthly. I have 14 covers and pages from the original run that I let Marvel scan for the re-release. So, all this information comes straight from the editors.

Best,