• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Drew Struzan art drop

29 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

http://comicarttracker.com/en/galactic-gallery/available-art

Some real classics in there! Wish I had the scratch.

Thoughts?

Two questions....

1) What in the hell is "Squirm"?

and 

2) Why does it cost as much as the classic "Johnny Dangerously"? 

50 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Wow. The Adventures in Babysitting poster is $80k...

A relative bargain, imo. Lots of nostalgia for that image. And it's massive at 60" tall. Also, first appearance of Lady Thor? :nyah:

I always loved that Hook poster too.

But the Great Muppet Caper trumps all! I must've watched that a million times on cable.

Edited by BCarter27

24 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Two questions....

and 

I saw Squirm on reel to reel film at my grandmother's house back in  the 80s. Cannibalistic worms, basically. All I remember is the classic scene with the guy in the boat, falling over and standing back up with worms burrowing into his face. Given other discussions on this board how art is somewhat secondary to significance, well, I don't understand how that film can be priced so high (even though I think the art is pretty solid). Maybe there is a horror cult pricing angle.

13 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

How much is the asking price for Struzan's Superman pin-up painting :shy: that seems to be based on a Steranko layout from anniversary issue of Superman #400?

$100K! But it wasn't the image that was used for the final Thought Factory poster-

97094d9879eefd2ff0711e73ae864abe--hero-p

While the prices are high, I’ll just chime in to say Drew’s art is even more breathtaking in person than any scan or print appears, and if you can afford it, it’s worth it.

Check out this detail:

69F9EE94-CA53-4CC5-B30A-6AF4FB3ED40E.thumb.jpeg.69ee4454e677cefd131dd342240ae1bd.jpeg

You can get seriously lost in his work in person:)

The book covers especially are almost bargains given the poster prices.

The only prices that truly surprised me were the Indy video games at $100+. That was impressive.

Edited by RabidFerret

23 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Two questions....

and 

I don''t even know what the Johnny Dangerously poster costs. I just assume there is no way in hell I can afford it. But, congrats to whoever buys it!

12 hours ago, RabidFerret said:

While the prices are high, I’ll just chime in to say Drew’s art is even more breathtaking in person than any scan or print appears, and if you can afford it, it’s worth it.

Check out this detail:

69F9EE94-CA53-4CC5-B30A-6AF4FB3ED40E.thumb.jpeg.69ee4454e677cefd131dd342240ae1bd.jpeg

You can get seriously lost in his work in person:)

The book covers especially are almost bargains given the poster prices.

The only prices that truly surprised me were the Indy video games at $100+. That was impressive.

I wonder if the Indy prices aren't based on two things: 1) the recent HA auction at 25k+ for the Last Crusade prelim (very prelim), 2) the 75k "asking" price for the Atari game box artwork (apparently badly damaged as well).

I would also add that the rendering of Indy on that 140k box art is superb, better than Amsel's IMO.

Edited by cstojano

58 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I just realized people keep asking about the prices because you guys aren't logged into CAT. Wassammatta wit you?! Go sign up. It's free! :ohnoez:

Or view them at the source: https://galacticgallery.com/drew-struzan-original-art

I was real tempted with the Escape from New York.

Edited by Oddball

At those prices I'll have to settle for the Original Art Catalog . . . :(

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all to ask for the services of Steve Donnelly as an art rep?

:jokealert:

Edited by The Voord

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

The Escape from New York piece has Kurt Russell with a freakishly large head.  Once seen, it can't be unseen.

I did think something was off with that. Maybe I thought it was just 80's hair.