• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 copies of Action 1 on Facebook group...Are they real?
5 5

179 posts in this topic

Facebook groups are the absolute #1 authority when it comes to this hobby so believe everything you see on any facebook comic group because it's full of experts......  

Now that I'm done being sarcastic.

The paper stock of the cover looks off. The cover edges shouldn't curl like that on an authentic copy.  Paper seems too new and would be a counterfeit or reprint.

if those are reprints I am confused. Most of the reprints I have ever seen had obvious color variations and page placement differences. I can't see anything wrong looking at this so far. Could those both be real?

Pretty sure I would be sending them to CGC if they were to get them authenticated instead of selling them raw-- even if they have restoration.

This is a complete joke...snow white pages on two copies of action 1... the paper stock from the golden age books

are a thicker stock and the reprint stock is glossy and thinner just like the ones in the pictures.

These have been in a barn in Texas since 1955 and they still have white pages?

Was the barn located 60 ft underground inside of a giant meat locker? 

They aren't the usual FFE scam, but color me just a bit skeptical. 

12 minutes ago, geofan said:

This is a complete joke...snow white pages on two copies of action 1... the paper stock from the golden age books

are a thicker stock and the reprint stock is glossy and thinner just like the ones in the pictures.

I hope you are not confused by the images I put up next to the ones by the OP. Those are from a CGC  9.0 book that was sold at auction a few years ago for 3.2 million

2 hours ago, Barth said:

95l5est.jpg

Judging from this pic alone, these look to me like roughed-up '70s FFE reprints with the outer cardstock covers removed, though possibly with newer, more accurate repro covers. 

Look at the length of the book compared to that guy's thumb.  Golden Age comics from the '30s and '40s are bigger than what came after them, but (with the exception of a few titles) not THAT big!

See here for useful data:

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/fakes/

Edited by jools&jim

Here's an online guide to Action #1 reprints:

According to this, they would seem to not be FFE copies -- there is white glare on the car's front fender, which the FFE cover doesn't have.

Common sense says they are reproductions of some kind. In addition to what others have mentioned about the stock and paper quality, they seem too perfectly identical to each other. Intriguing though.

The picture with them peeking out of the clothes and junk looks staged and hokey.

OP, can you post the original Facebook link?

2 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Here's an online guide to Action #1 reprints:

There's an echo in here! :baiting:  :)

Again, judging from the scale I see in that picture with somebody's thumb opening the front cover of one of the copies, I think these are the same old FFE interiors dressed up in "distressed" modern oversized repro covers...