• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 copies of Action 1 on Facebook group...Are they real?
5 5

179 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jools&jim said:

There's an echo in here! :baiting:  :)

Again, judging from the scale I see in that picture with somebody's thumb opening the front cover of one of the copies, I think these are the same old FFE interiors dressed up in "distressed" modern oversized repro covers...

...Nice edit.  :D

So FFE interiors with the covers replaced with modern repros? That could be I guess.

Are these for sale somewhere?

Here’s how you can tell if they are fakes.  If he’s trying to sell them they are fakes.  If he’s just posting about his find then wait a few days and there will be a news report if they are real.  Everyone knows by now the value of this comic so if anyone finds one they know to contact people to get them to the appropriate auction site.

6 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Here’s how you can tell if they are fakes.  If he’s trying to sell them they are fakes.  If he’s just posting about his find then wait a few days and there will be a news report if they are real.  Everyone knows by now the value of this comic so if anyone finds one they know to contact people to get them to the appropriate auction site.

Yep.

These are so obviously fake, I don't know how anyone could think they are real. None of that wear looks how any real comics wear and tear at all in any way. They look like that horribly fake aged furniture they sell where someone just took some sandpaper to it and scuffed it up. Plus it's cut wrong and cuts off too much of the bottom and right edge and the paper looks off.

The "barn find" post popped-up in my newsfeed yesterday morning, and the new looking wood in the chest, clean clothes (that don't look as old as the era the OP suggests) seemed to be enough of an indication to me this was a staged photo. Then later in the day, I returned to see some new photos (the ones posted) appeared and while there are subtle differences, it's difficult to say for certainty as the curled cover, the fact they aren't laying perfectly flat, and the "flattering" angled photos could skew some of the things you typically look for to distinguish a reprint from a real copy. All said, I still feel these are reproduced covers (likely taken from the higher quality scans provided for a past Action 1 auction) with interiors that are from a reprint or forged.

Edited by comicwiz

2 hours ago, Barth said:

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now.
It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

1 minute ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
2 hours ago, Barth said:

It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

It's a closed Facebook Group.  'Low Grade Comic Collectors And Buy/Sell/Trade'

43 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You have to be a member of the group to see the post

2 minutes ago, D84 said:

Pretty sure it's the 70s reprint.  Look at the size of the thumb compared to the book.

can't say if the books are real, or forgeries, but can definitely say they are not any of the authorized dc reprints...that much is a certainty (thumbsu

if he's in your FB group, just suggest to him to send it to Heritage or CGC so that HE CAN ENSURE (don't be accusatory) they're not reprints or reproductions and be done with it (or comiclink, if that's your bag).  If he starts trying to sell it, then maybe give a public warning about buying ungraded unchecked comics.

If you were going to run a big comic book scam, you could try to get someone to give you money for a fake Action #1.  For a bigger scam, you could try to get two people to give you money for the same book, each one thinking they were the only buyer.  You would need these two people to be unaware of each other or else they would know something's wrong.  But, for the biggest scam, you could try to get two or more people to give you money for more than one fake Action #1, so that buyers for only one copy could find out about another buyer, but they would just assume that they must be buying the other copy.  Keeping the discussions private, you might get a dozen buyers. Until these books are CGC certified as legit and sold in a safe venue, this is multiplied scamming.

Edited by valiantman

10 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

can't say if the books are real, or forgeries, but can definitely say they are not any of the authorized dc reprints...that much is a certainty (thumbsu

You're right.  The Famous First Edition has 3 staples.

if they're real they'll end up at auction. golly it's been so long that an Action1 has gone to auction.:eyeroll:

if they're fake we'll all have forgotten about it by tomorrow morning.

Edited by Gotham Kid