• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MF 73 : Is the Bloom Off the Rose ?

76 posts in this topic

have things died down the last 3 1/2 years or so on this book?  (still far above I'm sure where it was in 2014 I would gather) .  No noise here on the boards about the 8.0 up for auction.  4 years ago I assumed there be more squawking ??

Are you indirectly asking if the consignor of this book will be able to come out ahead based upon the $99K they had paid for this exact same copy back in the summer of 2015:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=605836&title=MOREFUN COMICS

Since the last VF 8.0 graded copy managed to hit $104.5K on Heritage back in 2016, my guess is that it should hit 6-figures, but it might be touch and go if there's going to be any profit made after the auction fee is paid.  (shrug)

If I was the consignor of this book, I probably would have waited until the next Event Auction in late November or early December to have put this book out there.  By then, hopefully all of the ads and hype for the upcoming Aquaman movie due out in December would have provided the consignor with some timely and free advertising for the book. hm  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you indirectly asking if the consignor of this book will be able to come out ahead based upon the $99K they had paid for this exact same copy back in the summer of 2015:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=605836&title=MOREFUN COMICS

Since the last VF 8.0 graded copy managed to hit $104.5K on Heritage back in 2016, my guess is that it should hit 6-figures, but it might be touch and go if there's going to be any profit made after the auction fee is paid.  (shrug)

If I was the consignor of this book, I probably would have waited until the next Event Auction in late November or early December to have put this book out there.  By then, hopefully all of the ads and hype for the upcoming Aquaman movie due out in December would have provided the consignor with some timely and free advertising for the book. hm  (thumbsu

It'as a great and important book that will do well (ie  break the  6 figure threshold ) o doubt I was just curious as to why no chatter on the boards about a 6 figure book.  I guess we aren't talking about he action 1 , tec 27, or cap 1 in the same auction.  I just get the sense that the excitement for that book and its scarcity in the past has died down quite a bit. 

I agree and think it has died down just a bit.  This is just an idea, but is maybe it getting a little less real attention (bidders) because it is an 8.0?  I myself find the high grade books very interesting at this level, but I don't have the funds to legitimately pursue the book.  If it was a nice appearing 2.5 then maybe?  It would still push the limits of my budget and probably a lot of others too.  I think not having Aquaman or Green Arrow on the cover will always limit the book a bit as well.  Just my thoughts.

1 hour ago, domuhnator said:

A complete cover-less went for $7300 on ebay a few weeks ago. Totally opposite end of the spectrum.

Wow. Good coin for a coverless. Sounds about right too.   Most recent sale I know of is 10k missing back cover and centerfold. 

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Wow. Good coin for a coverless. Sounds about right too.   Most recent sale I know of is 10k missing back cover and centerfold. 

For sure. I Honestly though it might go a bit more. I dont think Iv ever seen a complete covertness for sale.

How did the Front cover look on the incomplete copy?

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

It'as a great and important book that will do well (ie  break the  6 figure threshold ) o doubt I was just curious as to why no chatter on the boards about a 6 figure book.  I guess we aren't talking about he action 1 , tec 27, or cap 1 in the same auction.  I just get the sense that the excitement for that book and its scarcity in the past has died down quite a bit. 

With so many great auctions and fantastic HTF books which have turned up over the past few years,I am starting to get the feeling that many of the collectors and boardies here are just starting to be a bit jaded and getting used to all of these quality books popping up that it's no longer seen as anything special.  I remember we used to have a separate thread on each one of these major auctions with a lot posts and a ton of analysis.  Definitely not so much anymore.

I don't even remember a thread being done up for the last CC Event Auction.  Of course, that was probably due to the fact that the auction was limited to the Second City Collection which is really nothing when compared to CC's Jon Berk Auction from last summer which was talked about ad infinitum and deservedly so as that was most definitely what I would call a generational collection.  (thumbsu  :cloud9:

The auctions so far this year seems to be a bit weak in terms of their offerings.  Yes, we are still seeing the same big GA keys, but there doesn't appear to be much depth after that.  Just take a look at the recently completed Heritage Auction and I noticed that in their Scoop summary this week, they talked about all of the original art and Star Wars action figure sales, with nary a mention of any comic book results save for the catalogue cover lot featuring Hulk #1. :frown:

Besides the lack of chatter on the More Fun 73, I haven't seen any chatter at all for this upcoming CC Auction.  Since their last Event Auction was dedicated solely to books from the Second City Collection, I thought they would have a backlog of nice books for this next auction here.  Not so much the case after you get past the usual Action 1's and the other GA DC keys.  There does appear to be some nice higher grade pedigree copies of Nickel Comics (if you are into that) along with a few nice Nedors which don't show up that often, but only a limited smattering of true vintage quality GA books after that.  (shrug)

Of course, it's a possibility that it's just me that has become jaded to all of these nice GA books that have shown up in the past.  :D

31 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

For sure. I Honestly though it might go a bit more. I dont think Iv ever seen a complete covertness for sale.

How did the Front cover look on the incomplete copy?

A little rough. Raw copy. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

With so many great auctions and fantastic HTF books which have turned up over the past few years,I am starting to get the feeling that many of the collectors and boardies here are just starting to be a bit jaded and getting used to all of these quality books popping up that it's no longer seen as anything special.  I remember we used to have a separate thread on each one of these major auctions with a lot posts and a ton of analysis.  Definitely not so much anymore.

I don't even remember a thread being done up for the last CC Event Auction.  Of course, that was probably due to the fact that the auction was limited to the Second City Collection which is really nothing when compared to CC's Jon Berk Auction from last summer which was talked about ad infinitum and deservedly so as that was most definitely what I would call a generational collection.  (thumbsu  :cloud9:

The auctions so far this year seems to be a bit weak in terms of their offerings.  Yes, we are still seeing the same big GA keys, but there doesn't appear to be much depth after that.  Just take a look at the recently completed Heritage Auction and I noticed that in their Scoop summary this week, they talked about all of the original art and Star Wars action figure sales, with nary a mention of any comic book results save for the catalogue cover lot featuring Hulk #1. :frown:

Besides the lack of chatter on the More Fun 73, I haven't seen any chatter at all for this upcoming CC Auction.  Since their last Event Auction was dedicated solely to books from the Second City Collection, I thought they would have a backlog of nice books for this next auction here.  Not so much the case after you get past the usual Action 1's and the other GA DC keys.  There does appear to be some nice higher grade pedigree copies of Nickel Comics (if you are into that) along with a few nice Nedors which don't show up that often, but only a limited smattering of true vintage quality GA books after that.  (shrug)

Of course, it's a possibility that it's just me that has become jaded to all of these nice GA books that have shown up in the past.  :D

Couldn't agree more. All of the big keys Action # 1 , Tec # 27 etc. Give a shrug . Most collectors, out of our price range. You don't see the depth this year like in the last few years of other books. Jon Berk collection it will be awhile I think if ever, we will see a collection like that again.

I think the next big collection that will come to market with be the “dancing tall Texan” collection. 

Just to be clear, not due to death but rather to purchase a major sports team. 

Edited by batman_fan

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I think the next big collection that will come to market with be the “dancing tall Texan” collection. 

Just to be clear, not due to death but rather to purchase a major sports team. 

Billy Parker is selling?  Oh wait that would be the Louisiana crayfish collection

lou_fine, you're not the only one who's jaded. Actually, I was never too excited about this issue. I can't be very enthusiastic about a book that's a key because of first appearances when neither of the characters in question appears on the cover.

The collecting of "key" books is being eclipsed; covers are taking over. More Fun 73 has a decent cover but not a great cover.

The way the book spiked a few years ago had a definite jumping-on-the-bandwagon feel. I don't think the book will sell for six figures this time around, but we'll see.

Edited by jimbo_7071

This reminds me of FF48 --- SS / Galactus not on cover.  Probably why it's been so under-valued until now.

ST110 is another one that pops into mind.

This is a weird cover for me, but having more than 1 MAJOR DC character --- should be a book everyone wants!

22 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

The way the book spiked a few years ago had a definite jumping-on-the-bandwagon feel. I don't think the book will sell for six figures this time around, but we'll see.

I think the book will manage to find its way into the 6-figures, but not sure how much further it will go after that. (shrug)

After all, it's already at $35K and in the #8 spot right (based upon valuation) now in terms of CC's current auction.  Still got another 3 weeks to go although the middle 2 weeks are usually the cool down period where nobody really does much bidding at all.  With CC's extended bidding auction format, most of the real action is done during the extended bidding time, so I guess we will just have to wait see what happens in a few weeks from now.  hm  :taptaptap:

16 minutes ago, tdotcbc84 said:

This is a weird cover for me, but having more than 1 MAJOR DC character --- should be a book everyone wants!

And that's the exact reason why I always wanted to pick up a copy of this book when I was still willing to spend "big money" on books back in the early to mid-90's.

Well, ok that plus the fact that I would never be able to afford the much earlier first appearances of the other DC super heroes.  And yet I could never find myself willing to part with the $4K or $5K that was being asked for the book in only something like VF condition at the time.  Somehow, I always managed to convince myself it was just not quite HG enough considering the money that was being asked at the time.  meh

Obviously being el cheapo again and not willing to step up to the plate as it was always past my unofficial spending limit of roughly $1K or thereabouts per book.  doh!

On 8/9/2018 at 10:31 PM, Chicago Boy said:

have things died down the last 3 1/2 years or so on this book?  (still far above I'm sure where it was in 2014 I would gather) .  No noise here on the boards about the 8.0 up for auction.  4 years ago I assumed there be more squawking ??

Depends on how the Aquaman movie does.

The bloom is off the rose for the Green Arrow part as the show is on its last legs.

If Aquaman movie is a hit we could see another bump, but if it bombs?

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The bloom is off the rose for the Green Arrow part as the show is on its last legs.

I’ll see it but I’m not expecting it to be good. I find Jason Mamoa unlikable as the character and I was disappointed with the look they went with. Maybe the origin story needed to come before that bad justice league movie for me to have a different opinion of him. 

24 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:
33 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I’ll see it but I’m not expecting it to be good. I find Jason Mamoa unlikable as the character and I was disappointed with the look they went with. Maybe the origin story needed to come before that bad justice league movie for me to have a different opinion of him. 

I thought he looked made for the part except for the blonde hair where the advanced photo stills came out. (thumbsu

Definitely not so much when it was live action during the JLA movie and he had to move around and talk at the same time. :p