• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MF 73 : Is the Bloom Off the Rose ?

76 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

But grasshopper you forget... First Joker, Catwoman and origin retold, as well. Besides, when you speak to a layman and mention Tec #27 or Bat #1 which one carries the most significance? Then compare that to the first appearance of Aquaman? Although he probably has the longest running appearance of any DC character, he is still just second string. Gimmie Bat #1 all day long...

Classic Cover,  Bats in his first title , and the Joker and the cat make it special--no doubt. Bat 1 is Tec 27 to the layman.  I think the Joker is what that book has going for it personally (cover aside, etc)  Origin retold doesn't do it for me--just like origin retold in Supes 1 (with th e addition of the ma and pa kent)

29 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

A ton of people. Specualtion is huge now. The number one reason why comic books have exploded in high prices this last decade is because of the Hollywood hype.

Take away all these big block busters and hit TV shows of the past 15 years, and comics might be puttering along like stamps.

Not many people are even buying the comics for the stories. It's basically Hollywood hype, variants and pretty covers that are the reason for this great huge interest.

I like it to go back to 1986 as well,but that era is long over for comics and most likely never going back.

Disney is going to start their own Netflix soon,so expect the Hollywood hype to continue.

It is what is is.

:preach:

"A ton of people"?  Define "a ton". How many people have the scratch to buy a book like this? Most collectors who know better can't swing it. Somebody who watched a popular movie is going to plunk down that much money for an "investment"? We are't talking Rocket Racoon here we are talking Aquaman, Wonder Woman ect. These are BIG books to start with. I get the renued interest in these characters but not at that money level. I still don't buy the arguement...

1 minute ago, Chicago Boy said:

Classic Cover,  Bats in his first title , and the Joker and the cat make it special--no doubt. Bat 1 is Tec 27 to the layman.  I think the Joker is what that book has going for it personally (cover aside, etc)  Origin retold doesn't do it for me--just like origin retold in Supes 1 (with th e addition of the ma and pa kent)

There is always something about #1. NOT #27 or #93 or whatever. #1 carries a lot more weight. By, the way, I don't consider Bat #1 cover classic. It's the #1 on the cover and the contents inside that make the book what it is...

28 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I SAID IT BEFORE AND i'LL SAY IT AGAIN--I DON;T GET THE LOVE FOR THE 13TH APPEARANCE OF THE DARK KNIGHT AND THE THIRD APPEARANCE OF HIS FAITHFUL WARD 

This.  I'm no fan of Bats 1 (can't get past the cover) despite being a huge Bats collector.  Although I sure wish I could have bought the copy I saw 38 years ago! 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
On 8/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I don't either. Nowhere near.

Looks like six figures is a certainty 

*yawn*

for 100K I'd much rather have a low grade Bats1 than a high grade MF73 any day, every day.

Peter;

You should tell us exactly how you really feel instead of speaking in code.  hm

Have you double checked your alarm clock yet to make sure it's working properly for tonight since you are living in Gay Paree?  Be sure to set your alarm for a few minutes before 1:00 AM and rest your fingers so that they are ready for lightning action in tonight's extended bidding time period.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

21 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

"A ton of people"?  Define "a ton". How many people have the scratch to buy a book like this? Most collectors who know better can't swing it. Somebody who watched a popular movie is going to plunk down that much money for an "investment"? We are't talking Rocket Racoon here we are talking Aquaman, Wonder Woman ect. These are BIG books to start with. I get the renued interest in these characters but not at that money level. I still don't buy the arguement...

I am pretty sure those million dollars sales of Action 1,Detective 27 and AF #15 would have never happened if the fact that at about the same time ASM and Bale Batman movies were breaking records at the box office by doing billions. Not to mention BvS hype.

It's always been about Hollywood.

What made Batman,Wonder Woman and Superman popular while the rest of their counterparts never made it out of the golden age?

The Adam West Batman,Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, and George Reeves Superman shows put those three characters into millions of more homes than the comics ever did.

The Spider-Man and Superfriend animated shows helped as well.

Walking Dead #1 went from a $100 to $1000 comic book literally overnight when the show hit AMC TV.

Hollywood is the driving factor because it introduces these characters to millions of new people worldwide. Hollywood is creating new future collectors every day much more than comics are themselves.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

But grasshopper you forget... First Joker, Catwoman and origin retold, as well. Besides, when you speak to a layman and mention Tec #27 or Bat #1 which one carries the most significance? Then compare that to the first appearance of Aquaman? Although he probably has the longest running appearance of any DC character, he is still just second string. Gimmie Bat #1 all day long...

You mean "Origin REPRINTED" (from Tec 33). :baiting:

-J.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:
4 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
On 8/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Looks like six figures is a certainty 

*yawn*

for 100K I'd much rather have a low grade Bats1 than a high grade MF73 any day, every day.

Peter;

You should tell us exactly how you really feel instead of speaking in code.  hm

Have you double checked your alarm clock yet to make sure it's working properly for tonight since you are living in Gay Paree?  Be sure to set your alarm for a few minutes before 1:00 AM and rest your fingers so that they are ready for lightning action in tonight's extended bidding time period.  lol

Well, either his alarm clock is not working or he simply must have slept through his alarm again, being the deep sleeper that he is.  doh!

When I first started diving into collecting GA books, Bats 1 was never on my radar on must haves solely due to Robin on the cover and it just didnt do it for me. Cover is bland..

After talking to collectors, dealers, and reading the boards it started to grow on me and the fact that it is the 1st app of Joker, which is HUGE!!! I cant think of any bigger DC villain than Joker..

Also, #1 helped too! So ya, even if there are so many copies floating around compared to other major GA keys, I have much respect and love for Bat 1.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am pretty sure those million dollars sales of Action 1,Detective 27 and AF #15 would have never happened if the fact that at about the same time ASM and Bale Batman movies were breaking records at the box office by doing billions. Not to mention BvS hype.

It's always been about Hollywood.

What made Batman,Wonder Woman and Superman popular while the rest of their counterparts never made it out of the golden age?

The Adam West Batman,Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, and George Reeves Superman shows put those three characters into millions of more homes than the comics ever did.

The Spider-Man and Superfriend animated shows helped as well.

Walking Dead #1 went from a $100 to $1000 comic book literally overnight when the show hit AMC TV.

Hollywood is the driving factor because it introduces these characters to millions of new people worldwide. Hollywood is creating new future collectors every day much more than comics are themselves.

I will agree with you on lower dollar books. $1,000 is affordable to many. $1,000,000. Is another story. Wonder Woman has always been under valued and high end collectors figured it out. The other characters I’m sure got a little boost from the movies but the pool of buyers for the big keys is very small. There are people who that kind of money is pocket change and just don’t care about spending that kind of dough. I would also give a bouncy economy a lot of credit too. 

The movies get all the speculators excited on the affordable stuff for sure. The big books are another story.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:14 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 8/11/2018 at 2:13 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't think the book will sell for six figures this time around

Not exactly nowhere near (fell 7K short) but I'll gloat anyhow.

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Not exactly nowhere near (fell 7K short) but I'll gloat anyhow.

Ha !  The PPP on this book and the SC 4 on CC seemed extremely disappointing compared to recent years. The SC 4 was around 5k a point I think?  Ouch !!!!