• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dealers / Rinse and Repeat model
7 7

283 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

What are people actually complaining about?

Weathervanes and shill...shilay...shhhhhh...Irish sticks.

6 minutes ago, Park said:

And the moral turpitude of dealers selling comics to other dealers before the cosplayers get through the convention doors.

27 minutes ago, Ryan. said:
34 minutes ago, Park said:

And the moral turpitude of dealers selling comics to other dealers before the cosplayers get through the convention doors.

I was told there would be no vocabulary words today.

17 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Collectors are sad. We start getting disenchanted about conventions (maybe even the hobby as a whole). We stop going to as many conventions and buy less books.

Right, that's why comic conventions are held in convention centers now, not VFW halls now. Right?

Edited by ygogolak

18 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Collectors are sad. We start getting disenchanted about conventions (maybe even the hobby as a whole). We stop going to as many conventions and buy less books.

What type of cuddling and other things can we do to get you to come back to a convention?

What are your expectations of what a comic book convention should be?

Factor in what that that experience would cost and what is the incentive for not just you but to those who would set up at it would be.  

How much should it cost to get in?  How many days?  What type of venue should it be in?  

Should it have guests that are comic related?  

What category of customer are you?  What exactly are you shopping for? 

Just an FYI to any Wannabe promoter out there.  I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN a email asking me any of these questions. 

Edited by blazingbob

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

THE GREAT CRASH OF 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 IS COMING!

I know you have been posting this for awhile and I agree the comic book crash that has been forecast for awhile hasn't happened yet.  But I've never heard you say if you believe a market downturn is in our future and if you do foresee a huge downturn when do you see it happening.  The future will judge your answer!

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I know you have been posting this for awhile and I agree the comic book crash that has been forecast for awhile hasn't happened yet.  But I've never heard you say if you believe a market downturn is in our future and if you do foresee a huge downturn when do you see it happening.  The future will judge your answer!

I've heard the comic book back issue market has been crashing since 1976.  

12 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I've heard the comic book back issue market has been crashing since 1976.  

I know it's not really advantageous of people like Bob and Dan to highlight the negatives in the market since they are sitting in the boat but I would find it very interesting to hear what guys like you see in the current market and what you predict over the next 5/10/20 years. We can speculate about the lack of kids buying books or are flippers flipping to flippers but the people with real word info (big store owners, big dealers) always seemed tight lipped about the market as a whole especially if the prediction is not rosy.

22 minutes ago, blazingbob said:
18 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

What type of cuddling and other things can we do to get you to come back to a convention?

What are your expectations of what a comic book convention should be?

Factor in what that that experience would cost and what is the incentive for not just you but to those who would set up at it would be.  

How much should it cost to get in?  How many days?  What type of venue should it be in?  

Should it have guests that are comic related?  

What category of customer are you?  What exactly are you shopping for? 

Just an FYI to any Wannabe promoter out there.  I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN a email asking me any of these questions. 

The proverbial ball is not in our court. It's not up to "us" to change. No one is asking you to change or Change "it" for us. This thread was about feedback... we gave it. We are in no need to be on the defensive. It's our prerogative if we feel conventions don't look out for the small dealer to expand their customer base at conventions. If a small dealer truly feels having their supply picked though by bigger dealers getting "deals" then fine. Don't call foul on the convention goers telling those small dealers that they are shooting themselves in the foot. To act like we don't have a legitimate complaint is absurd. 

18 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I believe the correction has already happened. What has happened throughout the hobby is the prices for high quality material has skyrocketed and the price for mid-level stuff has absolutely cratered, mainly because that stuff is everywhere. It has never been a better time as a collector of 8.5-9.2 books to be out there, as those books are extremely plentiful and if you can wait, you can find that stuff for a song.

Further, all of the discussion here essentially applies to slabbed books. Go out to the real world and buy unslabbed copies, and you will very quickly see that the market has already corrected.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The proverbial ball is not in our court. It's not up to "us" to change. No one is asking you to change or Change "it" for us. This thread was about feedback... we gave it. We are in no need to be on the defensive. It's our prerogative if we feel conventions don't look out for the small dealer to expand their customer base at conventions. If a small dealer truly feels having their supply picked though by bigger dealers getting "deals" then fine. Don't call foul on the convention goers telling those small dealers that they are shooting themselves in the foot. To act like we don't have a legitimate complaint is absurd. 

But from a collectors stand point what problem do you have with other people (in this case other dealers in the room) grabbing deals before you get there.  The big dealers aren't buying every book in the room and marking up the prices so no collector can find a copy.  They are buying up all the books priced at much below current market prices and marking them up accordingly.  The collectors don't get a chance to get a steal on a book they need but is that what true collectors are looking for when they go to a Con - books at steal prices?  We all like deals and don't want to spend money but do you the small part time collector think you can compete with a full-time dealer who's family income depends on grabbing those steals before you do?

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I know it's not really advantageous of people like Bob and Dan to highlight the negatives in the market since they are sitting in the boat but I would find it very interesting to hear what guys like you see in the current market and what you predict over the next 5/10/20 years. We can speculate about the lack of kids buying books or are flippers flipping to flippers but the people with real word info (big store owners, big dealers) always seemed tight lipped about the market as a whole especially if the prediction is not rosy.

My thoughts for what they're worth.

1. The price of truly high quality material will continue to go up, in some cases very steeply.
2. The definition of "truly high quality material" will narrow over time.
3. The Rule of 25 and its corollary the Rule of 75 will continue to narrow the collectibles market.
4. Comic book publishers - which do not care about the health of the back issue market - will cease publishing pamphlets. They will publish electronic new issues and trade paperbacks.
5. The mid-size big comic show will die.
6. Large comic book shows will cease to have comic books at them and be pop culture shows.

8 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

But from a collectors stand point what problem do you have with other people (in this case other dealers in the room) grabbing deals before you get there.  The big dealers aren't buying every book in the room and marking up the prices so no collector can find a copy.  They are buying up all the books priced at much below current market prices and marking them up accordingly.  The collectors don't get a chance to get a steal on a book they need but is that what true collectors are looking for when they go to a Con - books at steal prices?  We all like deals and don't want to spend money but do you the small part time collector think you can compete with a full-time dealer who's family income depends on grabbing those steals before you do?

ya I get it and that is why I said my comments yesterday make me look petty. The used bookstore 'comics guy' near me skims before he puts stuff on the floor, I get that lol He is in a position through gained knowledge to do so, such as these dealers....

My complaint isn't so much with "them" as it is the small dealers for "letting it happen" :foryou: it doesn't make sense as a business model. And to address your questions, if the small dealer should just give up, rather than "compete with bigger dealers", then why set up at all?

I'll admit I'm a noob, so take yesterday's and today's comments with a grain of salt.... I don't pretend to know everything lol or to know all the answers....

I do know the bookstore by my house is becoming difficult to shop at, because their "new" stock is so obviously picked through that it is embarrassing. It got under my skin yesterday, because I would just like the hobby to be fun, but these "new" to "me" situations I'll just have to learn to adjust to ;) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya I get it and that is why I said my comments yesterday make me look petty. The used bookstore 'comic guy' skims before he puts stuff on the floor, I get that lol He is in a position through gained knowledge to do so, such as these dealers....

My complaint isn't so much with "them" as it is the small dealers for "letting it happen" :foryou: it doesn't make sense as a business model. And to address your questions, if the small dealer should just give up, rather than "compete with bigger dealers", then why set up at all?

I'll admit I'm a noob, so take yesterday's and today's comments with a grain of salt.... I don't pretend to know everything lol or to know all the answers....

I do know the bookstore by my house is becoming difficult to shop at, because their "new" stock is so obviously picked through that it is embarrassing. It got under my skin yesterday, because I would just like the hobby to be fun, but these "new" to "me" situations I'll just have to learn to adjust to ;) 

The person selling comics at a comic book show isn't there to make a collector happy. The person selling comic books at a comic book show is there to sell comic books

If I have books priced at X, I do not care whom I sell them to. I am absolutely NOT going to hold books back for that mythical unicorn "collector" who will come and buy all of my comics at my asking price on the Sunday afternoon of a three day show. No. If I'm setting up on a Thursday afternoon and @blazingbob comes over and buys out my long box of comics, two things have happened. (1) I probably priced my books too low, but (2) - and this is much more important - I have sold my books for my asking price and I can put that money in my pocket

I don't blame anyone for making a living :foryou: @1Cool I really don't even have that much beef with con prices.

As I mentioned the used bookstore near me kind of got me in a twist yesterday. I couldn't justify a business not keeping their "best foot forward" by allowing customers to see all available merch.

I then came on here yesterday, and I drew a correlation to my experience that day with Con's and Dealers..... :sorry: