• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMIC ART CON NYC EDITION (PICS)
1 1

113 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, artdealer said:

Has nothing to do with the much, much larger ransacking of the Marvel warehouse in the early 80s.

And you really should be on some sort of medication.

Mitch, it might be a less painful option for you to go outside and bang your head against a brick wall than indulge someone who's talked himself into believing his own conspiracy theories.

15 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

I'm really interested in how these two junkies got the idea in the first place to break into the Marvel warehouse? Out of everything they could have picked they chose that and taking oa that many people didn't see as valuable? Really makes me wonder if these two had been involved in comics in anyway that might have influenced them into picking it.

"You ask too many questions." - The Cabal

22 hours ago, artdealer said:

Junkies don't, but comic book store owners do.

And they did. But, the Junkies who were desperate for cash and to fence their stolen goods, turned down 80% of what they asked for. 

Junkie: "Hey Fence. I stole this Rolex off a guy on 25th street. I want $10K for it."

Fence: "I'll give you $5K. Take it, or I call the cops."

Junkie: "Sold."

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I shouldn’t but I will comment real quick.

I have no idea how the place looked where they stole the art from and I have no idea about whether stuff was marked clearly or not, but I guess we all agree that it is a bit odd that they seem to have picked the cherry pieces, meaning the most valuable stuff.

So for someone to raise the point that they possibly had insider knowledge or were specifically going after stuff they had a buyer for, I can see that point, it makes sense that it appears like this. Whether that is the case and true, I have no idea. 

Why didn’t they pick the complete issue 4 of „Date with Millie“ ?

1 hour ago, wurstisart said:

I have no idea how the place looked where they stole the art from and I have no idea about whether stuff was marked clearly or not, but I guess we all agree that it is a bit odd that they seem to have picked the cherry pieces, meaning the most valuable stuff.

I don't know what the truth of it is, but, it has been alleged that the buyers of this material, after seeing what was originally offered, made helpful suggestions to the junkies on what stories they would like to see offered next. :whistle: :fear: 

shutterstock_275912741.jpg

Junkies™ the comic book, coming soon to KickStarter...

Two down-on-their-luck misfits trying to make their way in the post-punk downtown NY music scene are forced into a life of addiction and crime by a manipulative comic shop owner with ties to Hollywood's elite and an insidious vision of the future of "funny book" art.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I don't know what the truth of it is, but, it has been alleged that the buyers of this material, after seeing what was originally offered, made helpful suggestions to the junkies on what stories they would like to see offered next. :whistle: :fear: 

And the Marvel Warehouse just kept getting broken into day, after. day, after day, with nobody noticing, no cops being called, and no insurance claims being filed. Almost as if someone had a Key to the place, and knew what to look for and where. hm

Those junkies sure do get around.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-iron-man-suit-theft-20180509-story.html

Los Angeles police are investigating the disappearance of the original Iron Man suit worn by Robert Downey Jr. from a Pacoima warehouse, officials said Wednesday morning.

The costume, valued at $325,000, vanished from a prop storage warehouse in the 13000 block of Weidner Street sometime between February and late April, according to Officer Christopher No, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department.

The famous red-and-gold suit, which first flashed across movie screens in the 2008 "Iron Man" film that kick-started Marvel's movie empire, was reported missing Tuesday, No said. Employees at the warehouse "just happened to check" Tuesday and noticed the costume was gone.

On 8/22/2018 at 3:35 PM, inovrmihd said:

Does Bechara have an asking price on the ASM 6 page?  Also, does anyone have any opinion on the inking?  I am asking because I have never seen a page from this issue and I recall someone commenting that another page from issue 6 had lousy inking.  Please PM me if appropriate.  Thanks in advance for any response.

Lousy inking on ASM 6? LOL........Probably because a lot of ASM 6 pages were inked by an art restorer after what was left after the beagle ate the story in 1986 after the UPS guy just TOSSED the COMPLETE 20 page story package in the guys fenced in yard unsigned for...Whereby his beagle proceeded to use its teeth to destroy the package and a lot of the contents.... The pieces were sent back to the prominent comic book dealer and over the years the pages were put back together as best as possible with the help of an art restorer....a lot of pages were not as badly damaged as others. (all you have to do is turn any page over to look at the BACK of it to know how much restoration was done as its easy to see on the 3-4 pages i owned over the years.... ..its hard to tell from the front whats restored and what's not...Just an FYI for future purchasers of asm 6 art.  ;)

Edited by romitaman

5 hours ago, romitaman said:

Lousy inking on ASM 6? LOL........Probably because a lot of ASM 6 pages were inked by an art restorer after what was left after the beagle ate the story in 1986 after the UPS guy just TOSSED the COMPLETE 20 page story package in the guys fenced in yard unsigned for...Whereby his beagle proceeded to use its teeth to destroy the package and a lot of the contents.... The pieces were sent back to the prominent comic book dealer and over the years the pages were put back together as best as possible with the help of an art restorer....a lot of pages were not as badly damaged as others. (all you have to do is turn any page over to look at the BACK of it to know how much restoration was done as its easy to see on the 3-4 pages i owned over the years.... ..its hard to tell from the front whats restored and what's not...Just an FYI for future purchasers of asm 6 art.  ;)

interesting. Any pics of the restoration?

6 hours ago, romitaman said:

I think only the top 3-4 pages were really torn up as i remember the story, its been like 20 years since I heard it but that part always stuck out to me.