• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice please: Blue Chip vs. Diversity
4 4

66 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I think we agree more than disagree.

There is a difference between value and investment though.  When I say Investment, i'm not talking about 5 or 10 year time frame, i'm talking about long term investment in terms of retirement planning.  I still think there is current (and hopefully future) value in comic art. And, yes I use the current value of my art to hopefully upgrade the art here and there.

The point I was getting at was I'd be very concerned if a large percentage of my long term plans were hinged on the value of comic art continuing to go up so I could retire at a reasonable age.  Also, I'm sure views are much different when you are up on Mt Olympus buying those blue chip pieces of art.  Vs myself who's not even on the same plane of existence.

This reminds me of my one employer, back in the early 90s, who was obsessed those porcelain Christmas villages... his wife would visit the office and they would argue about his obsessive buying. She looked at it like a hobby,  he treated it as a serious investment. 

The UPS man never stopped dropping off new purchases.

I later found out my former employer had to sell his practice and his home.... think his wife left him too. 

His investment idea didn't work out. 

17 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Definitely +1.  Covers and splashes are beautiful and they display better on a wall.  But comics are a sequential art form, and interiors  amix of storytelling and art are great examples,

Since there are some comics artists on these boards, I'm curious about their thoughts about evaluating panel pages vs. splashes/covers. Is one considered a tougher skill than the other?

18 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Just thinking about a few analogies hm based on considerations driving OA collectors (investing aside):  Fun, Sport, Prestige, Nostalgia and Aethetics

(1) FUN = Fishing trip:  catch one large trophy fish vs. several fish throughout the day?    I'd choose to catch several fish, for the sport of it (as I hate being idle)...but realize trophy catch photos always get more comments and likes on CAF (CatchAFish.com)!

(2) SPORT = Golf:  hit an eagle/par/par vs. three birdies?   I'll take the eagle...golfers remember their best shots and quickly forget the rest. I enjoy framing and displying my OA "best shots"

(3) PRESTIGE  = Cars:  own one exotic (Ferrari or Bentley) vs. three cars (ie, BMW, RangeRover and a Jeep)?  I'd probably take the Bentley...I can only drive one and the cost of NYC parking is absurd

(4) NOSTALGIA =  Family keepsakes:  Do you keep a few cherished items / framed pictures from your childhood (or your kids' childhood) vs. several organized volumes of pictures?  A handful of cherished keepsakes feed my nostalgia...rarely pull out my Itoya photo albums  

(5) AETHETICS =  Museum visit:  spend more time on notable pieces vs. try to see as much of the entire collection?  I tend to focus on a handful of key pieces and/or artists.. the "Most viewed/commented" list is especially helpful   

Given my responses (4/5 being the first option), I would lean towards being a blue-chip collector as I appreciate owning a few great examples on a limited budget despite a perpetually long want list. :frown:

Your mileage may vary...

I think I would add diversity as a discrete item. I enjoy comparative viewing: different artists with the same basic subject matter (or in a few cases, same artist and subject matter at different career times). You can't do that with a small sample of artwork. So, do you eat the same food every day, or not?