• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is the underappreciated JACK covers thread...
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Yeah, why not! The "Cole" poll thread started me thinking, ..."Hey, what about JACK Cole, ...he was a darned fine artist who deserves attention!" That led me to another idea, ...since Jack Cole's last name was shared by another great artist named COLE, then what about other incredible GA artists sharing first names, including some who don't get nearly enough recognition?

Sure, everyone will likely be thinking of Jack Kirby, who already receives wide recognition, but he's not alone.  One of the most underappreciated of GA artists is Jack Binder, who's work stands out on many well executed covers of the era, Fawcett's Nickle Comics being a prime example. In fact, his phenomenal cover work for early Prize Comics was sadly missing from the label of a recent CGC holder for this incredibly detailed cover illustration...

558de225-0136-4c11-a306-cd7fd2926b36_zps

If anyone has doubts as to whether this is a Jack Binder cover ...besides similarities in style & fine detailing on his work to other known examples for other publishers..., just look closely at the bone-shaped sign on the building which says "binder's!"  That alone is sufficient reason to have this book re-holdered so that a proper cover attribution can be included on the label.

Getting back to the overall thread theme, this is the JACK thread, so every GA Jack is eligible to have their cover scans on display here. No Toms, Richards or Harrys allowed, thank you! "John" stretches the rule a bit, but it's allowable since Jack used to be an informal nick-name of guys named John.  Also, if the name Jack was appropriated by the artist as a published pseudonym, that's fine too.

I'm sure when you think about it, there are quite a few great GA & pre-code artists with the name Jack! This is their thread.  I'm sure I'll be posting more flashy jumpin' JACK covers along the way. So, let's make like jack-rabbits & get hoppin'! :grin:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Jackin' around with the words.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Jack Katz

comadvsintodarkness10.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's not Katz, or any other Jack.  GCD conjectures Andru but I'm thinking Art Saaf.