• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ten Copies or less, CGC Census, based on OSG value
2 2

134 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, jhm said:

Choice Comics #3. One of my personal favorite covers. OSG (2017-18) at $194 in 2.0. 6 on the census. The 9.0 is the Church copy and is actually no longer in the CGC holder (it's on my to-do list). When I acquired, it was in a Voledemort holder...

Jeff - 

I have the 3.5 copy on the census (1941 issuance) and love the book.  There evidently were two issuances - one in 1941 and the other in 1942.  1941 has 6 and the 1942 has 3.  I would love to have the first part of the storyline but I fear not a big enough wallet to afford Great #3. 

I am curious what Voldy graded the Church copy if you would share that.  I assume also they did notate the ped.

Edited by telerites

51 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I actually think the limit set at 2.0 may be too low. Just my $0.02

You're probably right.  In fact, I'm basing my entries on an older OSG as my most recent Gudes are in storage at the moment.  I'm assuming the lower estimated values have remained fairly consistent or climbed a bit the past couple of years since GA values rarely drop much, if at all.  At $100 up many would see that as sufficient value to warrant grading as a graded book at that price point would likely see an increase in value over raw due to the restoration check.

Books that top out value-wise at ...say, anywhere from $100 to $800 in 9.2 OSG aren't as likely to have lower grades well represented in the CGC census regardless of how many copies are in circulation.  By starting at $100 and a 2.0 base point, we're likely to see more books under high grade (2.0, 4.0, 6.0 & 8.0) pop-up in the census. It's entirely arbitrary over $100.  You can use $300 up from 2.0 if you prefer, but whichever you choose as your own baseline, having a minimum value of $100 up should be  helpful in gauging census rarity. Where things may get dicey in the future is the prospect of CBCS grading cutting into the CGC census numbers, especially if they decide to provide their own census. Given that scenario, confusion will reign.

-Cat

I don't own a copy, and it has one of the ugliest covers in all comicdom, but only nine copies of Sub-Mariner Comics no. 31 are in the census (8 universal, 1 restored). However, the 7.0 Crowley copy was apparently cracked out, and raw low-grade copies seem to be common enough.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-31-crowley-pedigree-timely-1949-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-pages-we-all-know-that-doctor-dill-didn-t-qu/a/811-7343.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

16 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't own a copy, and it has one of the ugliest covers in all comicdom, but only nine copies of Sub-Mariner Comics no. 31 are in the census (8 universal, 1 restored). However, the 7.0 Crowley copy was apparently cracked out, and raw low-grade copies seem to be common enough.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/sub-mariner-comics-31-crowley-pedigree-timely-1949-cgc-fn-vf-70-off-white-pages-we-all-know-that-doctor-dill-didn-t-qu/a/811-7343.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

Toughest in the run, I’ve been trying to upgrade for many years.

41 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Our Flag Comics #5 I know this is on the list!! Legit rare only 3 complete copies on the census and 1 of those is restored. 4th copy is incomplete. This would dry clean and press higher but for now I LOVE it as is. Highest graded is a 4.0. 47th ed of OSPG has this book at $142 in a 2.0. I paid slightly more for the opportunity to own this book ?

30868108418_425b1553f3_b.jpg

(worship)(worship)