• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure 40. Most "oddball" big DC key?
2 2

65 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2018 at 6:11 PM, sacentaur said:

My partial Adventure run is decent:

36, 37, 38, 39 (the four pre-hero Flanagan covers), 40 (no back cover), 41, 42 (double cover), 43 (Larson, CGC 9.6), 44 (Nova Scotia), 45, 49 (Nova Scotia), and 50 (Central Valley). 

Not the most talked about books in the hobby, but Adventure epitomizes the Golden Age for me and obviously I like them a lot! :) 

There is nothing about that run that is "decent". Those are hard to find and the pedigrees and grades! That is obscene! (In a good way)(thumbsu

On 10/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, Primetime said:

I like the adventure 46 cover. 

On 10/17/2018 at 8:33 AM, KirbyJack said:

Yep. My fave is 40, but honorable mention goes to 44; classic Flessel!

Tot each their own, but if you are referring to the Sandman covers only, my fave would be Adventure 42 since I love the moodiness of the cover image brought on by the nice combination of colors and the shadowing caused by the lantern:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Adventure Comics #42 Mile High pedigree (DC, 1939) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages. The original Golden Age Sandman, com...

On 10/20/2018 at 12:57 PM, Yorick said:

For a complete run, would one need also to acquire New Adventure Comics?

On 10/20/2018 at 2:12 PM, KirbyJack said:

Absolutely.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:53 PM, Yorick said:

And then you would also need to include New Comics. 

Yes, you most definitely would have to go all the way back to the early pre-hero days of New Comics.  (thumbsu

Sadly, definitely not the easiest books to find especially when you come to the early issues such as New Comics 2 with this CGC 2.0 graded Billy Wright copy being the highest graded universal copy out of the handful of copies that have been graded to date so far:   :cloud9:

Platinum Age (1897-1937):Miscellaneous, New Comics #2 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1936) CGC GD 2.0 Off-white to white pages....

On 6/25/2022 at 12:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Tot each their own, but if you are referring to the Sandman covers only, my fave would be Adventure 42 since I love the moodiness of the cover image brought on by the nice combination of colors and the shadowing caused by the lantern:  :luhv:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Adventure Comics #42 Mile High pedigree (DC, 1939) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages. The original Golden Age Sandman, com...

I’m a sucker for the leaded windows. They evoke the time period for me. I also prefer Detective 29 to 31.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:27 PM, twmjr1 said:

I could see the Spectre eventually making a big splash in the DC movie universe, or on one of the  shows on CW. The guy with the suit, tie, hat and gas mask? No. 

Honestly I think the chances of a Sandman appearance is much better odds than more other GA heroes. We literally have the Gaiman Sandman series coming out which made the the connection to Dodds (so not only could I see him appearing in some sort of cameo in that series, but the show might popularize the gas mask again and inspire DC to push the character)

RCO055_1583406350.thumb.jpg.f60b1559b6175157d12304436a9e6dc6.jpg

On 6/25/2022 at 8:49 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Honestly I think the chances of a Sandman appearance is much better odds than more other GA heroes.

Well, if you take a look at the 3 main GA heroes from just the DC Adventure run on its own, it appears you would be dead wrong here.  :gossip:

Especially since Hourman is supposedly already slated to be featured in his own solo movie as part of the DCEU movie franchise.  Actually, not sure if this will ever happen since it's been in the works for awhile now, but then his Hourman character has already appeared as part of the JSA in the DC Legends of Tomorrow TV series.  Same with Starman who also appeared in Legends of Tomorrow and now also has a key part in the current ongoing Stargirl TV series.  (thumbsu

On 6/25/2022 at 1:42 PM, lou_fine said:

My favorite also. Just why you said.

Back in the early 90s I walked into a comic store in New Orleans.  They had tons of fantastic books.  On their shelf, behind glass was a beautiful copy of Adventure 40.  It was the most expensive book I had ever seen, far beyond what I would ever think of paying.  I don't know whatever happened to that copy, but it was stunning and I think the asking price was around $40k back then.  It was probably 93-94 or so.

Still, to date, the only copy I have ever seen.

PDG

On 7/1/2022 at 7:58 AM, PDGray said:

I don't know whatever happened to that copy, but it was stunning and I think the asking price was around $40k back then.  It was probably 93-94 or so.

Since the highest graded Universal copy of Adventure 40 is still only a CGC 8.0 after all this time, any bets that the stunning copy which you saw back in the day was probably restored up to the nice condition copy you saw?  hm

On 7/1/2022 at 11:57 AM, lou_fine said:

Since the highest graded Universal copy of Adventure 40 is still only a CGC 8.0 after all this time, any bets that the stunning copy which you saw back in the day was probably restored up to the nice condition copy you saw?  hm

Pretty sure 93-94 was the year.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:24 AM, D84 said:

Pretty sure 93-94 was the year.

Well, in this case then, probably more like 94-95 when the first big Gold rush hit the comic book marketplace when GA books started to sell for multiples of guide as top of guide for Adventure 40 was only $14K back in '93.  (thumbsu

On 7/1/2022 at 10:59 AM, RareHighGrade said:

Do you know when this was sent out?  Is there a date anywhere on the certificate?  I'm guessing it's pre-1940.

The pin bottom left and certificate are from 1939. Wording reads “Adventure Comics Magazine”. The two to the right are from 1937 and read “New Adventure Club”.

The More Fun pin top right is the first Comic book club and is from 1934.

The Flash pin is from 1942. It was sent to readers submitting a survey in All Flash #6. The first 1,000 respondents also received a free copy of All Flash #7.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, Robot Man said:

The pin bottom left and certificate are from 1939. Wording reads “Adventure Comics Magazine”. The two to the right are from 1937 and read “New Adventure Club”.

The More Fun pin top right is the first Comic book club and is from 1934.

The Flash pin is from 1942. It was sent to readers submitting a survey in All Flash #6. The first 1,000 respondents also received a free copy of All Flash #7.

Sandy sure took good care of her/his stuff. Looks brand new. Incredible.