• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And your predictions in WandaVision were rock-solid.

Since the showrunner noted the grounded character that will appearing would be a great pairing up with Thor, how does Rick Jones fit into that picture? I'm serious. I'd like to know.

In the comics, Rick Jones has historically always teamed up with a heavy hitter: Hulk, Mar-Vell, and Captain America.

The MCU is completely different. Yes. If Rick Jones in the MCU is played by a comedian or an actor with a lot of personality and the filmmakers carry that personality over to this imagined MCU Rick Jones(as in make him funny), that would be a great pairing with Thor, now that Odinson has found his funny bone.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

'A-Lister/B-Lister'

emotion01.gif.81144d2d837112f855ac84eef654fbf8.gif

I get you are all about these 'lists' with gauging popularity of comic book characters, actors and whatever else. I guess that works somewhere.

Yes, RDJ was on the outs. But even Favreau noted it was 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' that really caught his attention. And I know you appreciate that movie, as like me you have noted this previously. To say they were taking yet again another gamble when like the Marvel comic book movies released previously they also had that work to reference for some comfort with the right focus he could deliver. Though I would agree there was risk with an actor demonstrating repeat addiction problems.

Quoting box office numbers as the reference point was RDJ worth the push - come on now. If a studio wants an actor based on his performance and potential - like Real Silverman's height concerns as a benchmark - they are going to pull the trigger. No matter if a production underperformed yet the actor delivered or the character is 6'1" in the source material and the actor is 5'9" in comparison. That's reality!

You're still wrong with revisionist history here.

The studio *did not* want RDJ for the role. Favreau's on the record - several different times - as noting the studio initially rejected his casting as too much of an insurance risk. *And* he wasn't a box office draw - with a literal string of horrific box office failures in his wake.

Known performer? Yes - but not even in the top 3 short list, *especially* since it's known Tom Cruise was offered the role well before RDJ.

This wasn't some magical casting by Feige and co., it was Favreau sticking his neck out and risking his reputation on RDJ, even knowing the risks of him relapsing and endangering the film.

Edited by Gatsby77

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Since the showrunner noted the grounded character that will appearing would be a great pairing up with Thor, how does Rick Jones fit into that picture? I'm serious. I'd like to know.

You've inspired me to go back to the WandaVision thread and check which of my predictions/thoughts I got right/close and which I got wrong. I'll make a tally.

26 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

In the comics, Rick Jones has historically always teamed up with a heavy hitter: Hulk, Mar-Vell, and Captain America.

The MCU is completely different. Yes. If Rick Jones in the MCU is played by a comedian or an actor with a lot of personality and the filmmakers carry that personality over to this imagined MCU Rick Jones(as in make him funny), that would be a great pairing with Thor, now that Odinson has found his funny bone.

I think they are covered though with comedy when it comes to the play actors in Thor: Ragnarok. Which are now coming back again, with Melissa McCarthy as Hela if those set photos are to be believed.

Overwhelm an action movie with too much comedy, it detracts from the real intent of the story.

19 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

The studio *did not* want RDJ for the role. Favreau's on the record - several different times - as noting the studio initially rejected his casting as too much of an insurance risk. *And* he wasn't a box office draw - with a literal string of horrific box office failures in his wake.

Known performer? Yes - but not even in the top 3 short list, *especially* since it's known Tom Cruise was offered the role well before RDJ.

This wasn't some magical casting by Feige and co., it was Favreau sticking his neck out and risking his reputation on RDJ, even knowing the risks of him relapsing and endangering the film.

I'm wrong? King of Revisionist calling someone else a revisionist. That's fantastic!

I think you missed the part early on where I noted it was Favreau that was high on RDJ in the role after seeing him in 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang'. If you took more time to read someone else's posts and less preaching...

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its supposed to be emotional so I can rule out all of those and mine as well. 

I am really curious. Id like a Steve Rogers app.

I wanted it to be him in some form of flashblack to remind everyone what was so incredible about Chris Evans in the role.

But the showrunner has noted it isn't anyone previously in the MCU. Though after what Paul Bettany did in WandaVision, could it be Chris Evans as a Skrull? Then it is a character that never appeared in the MCU previously as a new Skrull.

20 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

You've inspired me to go back to the WandaVision thread and check which of my predictions/thoughts I got right/close and which I got wrong. I'll make a tally.

Excellent! Read how many times you noted Mephisto was coming in the next episode. No - that next episode. No - the one after the last one.

:baiting:

47 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

As much as I don’t want to get in the middle of this slap-fight, just to clarify: 

What the showrunner actually said was “partnered with one of the big world-shakers LIKE Thor OR someone LIKE that” (emphasis mine)

Yes, yes, I get that out of all the world-shaker names who could have referenced, he just happened to pull the name Thor out of thin air. 

Still. I think there’s enough qualifiers in the quote that there may be too much emphasis being placed on the mention of Thor. 

Personally, I’m thoroughly enjoying the show and couldn’t give a rip who the ‘big guest appearance’ is, or even it it turns out to be another WandaVision troll. 

18 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its supposed to be emotional so I can rule out all of those and mine as well. 

I am really curious. Id like a Steve Rogers app.

I think the showrunners meant that the Episode as a whole is going to be emotional. This appears to be where Sam gets the shield back, maybe finally accepts the mantle.

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

As much as I don’t want to get in the middle of this slap-fight, just to clarify: 

What the showrunner actually said was “partnered with one of the big world-shakers LIKE Thor OR someone LIKE that” (emphasis mine)

Yes, yes, I get that out of all the world-shaker names who could have referenced, he just happened to pull the name Thor out of thin air. 

Still. I think there’s enough qualifiers in the quote that there may be too much emphasis being placed on the mention of Thor. 

Personally, I’m thoroughly enjoying the show and couldn’t give a rip who the ‘big guest appearance’ is, or even it it turns out to be another WandaVision troll. 

Welcome to the party.

‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ Episode 5 Will Have a Big Marvel Cameo – But It’s Not Who You Think It Is

“There are characters in our series who I would love to see partnered with like — it’s a very, very grounded character — partnered with one of the big world-shakers like Thor or someone like that. The personality is so strong, it’s the episode five character. I’d love to see that character with Thor.”

You were saying?

:baiting:

Just now, Number 6 said:

(thumbsu

It's like when you went off about Pedro Pascal demanding to shoot The Mandalorian scenes or he was going to quite, and it turned out Grace Randolph made the entire story up.

Sometimes you have to cut through the noise. Or just read the real details. :foryou: :tink:

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Spoiler

Now back to The Revisionist...

How Robert Downey Jr. Saved His Career And Became Iron Man

Finally, though, after what would prove to be his last arrest in April 2001, Downey Jr. got clean and was ready to begin working again. And yet, despite his proven and obviously immense talent, the Academy Award nominee found it difficult to secure acting jobs, as production studios were unable to obtain insurance for the troubled actor, thus making hiring him all the more difficult.

Coincidentally enough, Downey’s breakthrough back into the industry would come thanks to an actor would go onto to disgrace himself in the coming years: Mel Gibson. Gibson, who was a close friend of Downey’s since the pair starred in Air America, paid Downey’s insurance bond for the 2003 film The Singing Detective, paving the way for him to be cast in Gothika alongside Halle Berry, although 40% of his pay was withheld until filming wrapped.

From there, the career comeback was officially full steam ahead, as Downey was then cast to star alongside Val Kilmer in the cult black comedy crime hit Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which was the directorial debut of famed screenwriter Shane Black (who, as fate would have it, would go on to direct Iron Man 3). In the coming years, Downey would continue to inch back into the mainstream, as he’d go onto star in critically-acclaimed films such as Good Night, and Good Luck, A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints (an awesome movie that I suggest you check out), A Scanner Darkly, and Zodiac.

Downey Jr. was a working actor again, but the question then became whether or not he could truly reignite his A-list career and become the movie star he once looked destined to be. That question was answered with aplomb in 2008, as he would go onto star in two career-defining films: his Academy Award-nominated turn in Tropic Thunder, and, of course, as Tony Stark in Iron Man. But how exactly did Downey Jr. convince Marvel Studios to cast him as the centerpiece of the newly created Marvel Cinematic Universe? Jon Favreau, that’s how.

Favreau opened up about casting Robert Downey Jr. during a recent interview with the Texas radio station 100.3 Jack FM, and revealed to the hosts that while Iron Man he brought up the idea of casting Downey Jr. in the lead role and was rejected multiple times. Despite all the negativity and wariness surrounding the suggestion, however, the director didn’t take “no” for an answer and instead made it his responsibility to show the people at Marvel Studios that he knew exactly which actor he wanted to play the starring role. Said Favreau, “It was my job as a director to show that it was the best choice creatively…and now the Marvel Universe is the biggest franchise in film history.”

Everybody knew he was talented… Certainly by studying the Iron Man role and developing that --script I realized that the character seemed to line-up with Robert in all the good and bad ways. And the story of Iron Man was really the story of Robert’s career.” [via CinemaBlend]

Although the executives at Marvel Studios rejected RDJ, Favreau locked on him so much due to his talent and solid fit for the role. But he also had a recent pattern of now solid performances by a cleaned-up RDJ to push forward.

Iron Man blasted RDJ forward in a big way. But he was already fighting his way back in roles that at times were not the lead to prove he could be trusted. Why do you think RDJ tried to get Marvel Studios to hire Mel Gibson at one point - the man was in his corner during his comeback efforts. Or did you forget that reality?

Robert Downey Jr. Wants Mel Gibson in The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Now back to another episode of 'The A-List/B-List/etc. Chronicles'.

tenor.gif.b1e9263b09174950bbdf71a3a73a75fd.gif

Edited by Bosco685

Black Widow II

Florence Pugh will make her debut as Black Widow II/Yelena Belova in Marvel's Black Widow movie this summer - or will she?

Marvel fans have long wondered why TFATWS was originally slated to come after the Black Widow movie - and subsequently what it means for the Phase 4 storyline now that the ordering has been reversed. Well, an appearance by Black Widow II in The Falcon and the Winter Soldier would fit all the rumor criteria, and explain why Marvel Studios wanted to may be establish Yelena first in BW before having her appear in TFATWS. At this point, though, Introducing Yelena on the show would be a great "button scene" moment to help launch Black Widow. ...And since Pugh already has a major role in a Marvel Disney+ series (Hawkeye), the lane is wide open for her to appear in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, as well. 

Kingpin

Vincent D'onofrio's Wilson Fisk (aka Kingpin) character from the Netflix Daredevil series is another leading fan guess (big character, big actor, never in a Marvel movie). Having Kingpin show up as The Power Broker (or just himself) would be a huge win for Marvel Netflix fans, who have been waiting for some of the main players from that franchise to be imported into the MCU. 

Thunderbolt Ross (Red Hulk)
William Hurt is an award-winning actor - but his character Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross been in Marvel movies, for sure (The Incredible Hulk, Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame). However, in Marvel Comics Ross eventually became "Red Hulk" from a variant serum made from Hulk's blood - which itself was powered by a variation of the Super Soldier Serum. Red Hulk was a mysterious figure before eventually being revealed as Thunderbolt Ross. With She-Hulk coming down the pike, and a Thunderbolts project long-rumored (a team Red Hulk has been part of), William Hurt could appear as the rumors tease - if he doesn't appear in human form. 

Wolverine

TFATWS introduced the pirate city of Madripoor and its infamous Princess Bar, which is co-owned by none other than Wolverine. Hugh Jackman has hung up the claws - but would definitely fit an "award-winning actor" who played a character that was never in the Marvel Studios movies. Nobody would expect Marvel to introduce a new Wolverine through this series, but given the characters enhanced powers and long history of espionage work, it's one longshot that a lot of fans want to keep firing off. 

Deadpool

If Wolverine is on the table, then Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool certainly is. Reynolds has already signed on for an R-Rated Deadpool 3 within the MCU, so he's already on board. Deadpool is first and foremost a mercenary - the kind that would be in good company with any of the ne'er-do-wells that Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes are no hanging around. Again, it really boils down to what "Marvel Movie" means in that initial rumor report since Fox's Deadpool films weren't part of the MCU. 

Mephisto

Sorry! Sorry! We just had to put it out there. 😂 🤣 Still feel like we're owed something after WandaVision... 

If Kingpin showed up that would be wild!

Deadpool - that would be a fantastic choice to bring a little nuttiness to the story as a twist. And with the comedy that came out of Thor: Ragnok I could see why the showrunner would want to pair them up.

“It’s a big actor who hasn’t been named in the series,” Sciretta said, “This is someone we didn’t know is going to be in the series and is an award-winning actor/actress.”

He didn't say what award, did he?

ryanreynolds.thumb.JPG.efb54ea79d9d44920220377dda8e9401.JPG

(:

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I guess you never saw the film 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' (2005) where Robert Downey Jr. which not only landed an 86% critics positive rating but also an 87% audience positive rating.

RDJ had a very troubled past. But the guy was still delivering on roles leading to Marvel Studios signing off on his casting.

*This* was the post to which I was responding. (Emphasis mine in bold.)

He was overtly *not* delivering on roles leading to Marvel Studios signing off on his casting.

Performing? Yes. Doing well in the roles? Yes.

But delivering? Not at all. 7 of his 8 films immediately prior didn't just lose money - they bombed. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Zodiac among them.

He was not a bankable star for a blockbuster at the time. Period. - And that's putting aside his insurance risk.

Marvel took a *huge* risk in casting him (rather than Tom Cruise or Clive Owen or virtually anyone else in contention for Iron Man at the time) for the role.

And it's not because they saw his genius potential or had some knack for picking the right actors.

Because this was Marvel casting in 2006. And they failed just as much as they got it right.

See Eric Bana as the Hulk and Terrence Howard as Rhodey. It doesn't matter what you or I may think of their respective performances -- Marvel themselves chose to fire them.

Feige himself is on the record as noting his casting was a risk and could have been a "dumpster fire" given the actor's reputation and the stakes involved.

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

*This* was the post to which I was responding. (Emphasis mine in bold.)

Spoiler

He was overtly *not* delivering on roles leading to Marvel Studios signing off on his casting.

Performing? Yes. Doing well in the roles? Yes.

But delivering? Not at all. 7 of his 8 films immediately prior didn't just lose money - they bombed. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Zodiac among them.

He was not a bankable star for a blockbuster at the time. Period. - And that's putting aside his insurance risk.

Marvel took a *huge* risk in casting him (rather than Tom Cruise or Clive Owen or virtually anyone else in contention for Iron Man at the time) for the role.

And it's not because they saw his genius potential or had some knack for picking the right actors.

Because this was Marvel casting in 2006. And they failed just as much as they got it right.

See Eric Bana as the Hulk and Terrence Howard as Rhodey. It doesn't matter what you or I may think of their respective performances -- Marvel themselves chose to fire them.

Feige himself is on the record as noting his casting was a risk and could have been a "dumpster fire" given the actor's reputation and the stakes involved.

Kills you that you were mistaken again on real history. It's okay. Yet even when facts are presented, you convince yourself otherwise. That's not okay.